How to say no politely in business

Brief synopsis: Co worker is often *delegating* her duties to my desk as she is forever busy. (not true but lets pretend).

She has been told various times to contact the boss before dishing out her duties, she doesn't. She is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

I've been challenged recently by her bombardment of emails requesting I take on tasks that she is more then capable in completing. Not once do I go to her to have my task completed. According to my boss she doesnt work *smarter* or *harder* as she chases her tail, yet she is here to stay. So I ask you folks, what are some polite ways to direct a person to do their own work without coming off as an non team player. I do not believe that doing the team members work is really what being a team player is about, but try telling her. So would appreciate feedback and suggestions. Thanks!!

Edited by Tayla
Art_Critic

Why not reply to one of the emails and ask her if she is asking you for a favor ?

IMO.. you should help a coworker if they need help but if they are just blowing off their work on you then it is up to you to draw the line and just say no.. or you are too busy..

What is the worst that can happen ?.. She tells your boss that you won't do her job..

jean-luc sisko

Well:

- Is she superior to you in the chain of command? Does she have the power or authority to delegate?

- If it is compromising on your own work, then tell her no. You have your own tasks to complete, which must be done above all else. Only if your tasks have been done, then you should help her.

I think talk about this with your boss, and tell her that him/her delegating is undermining you doing your own work.

Reply to all her emails CC'ing her boss.

She'll stop, or make you look awesome while she looks terrible.

I'm sorry (insert name), I wish I had the time to help you in completing that assignment, but am far too busy with my own at the moment. Maybe another time :)

• Author
Why not reply to one of the emails and ask her if she is asking you for a favor ?

IMO.. you should help a coworker if they need help but if they are just blowing off their work on you then it is up to you to draw the line and just say no.. or you are too busy..

What is the worst that can happen ?.. She tells your boss that you won't do her job..

Art, Thanks for the idea, Yes she is OFTEN asking for favors yet does not contribute when I need assistance.

• Author
Well:

- Is she superior to you in the chain of command? Does she have the power or authority to delegate?

- If it is compromising on your own work, then tell her no. You have your own tasks to complete, which must be done above all else. Only if your tasks have been done, then you should help her.

I think talk about this with your boss, and tell her that him/her delegating is undermining you doing your own work.

She is an employee no more no less in the chain of command. So no, she has been told to go our boss when she does want to DELEGATE

Our business has taboo words, one being we are never to say we are "TOO BUSY" . SO seeking another way to say no without coming off rude.

My boss knows her habits and has stepped back and basically said, you two deal with it. Which gets us no where because in her world her work should take priority over anything I have going on. This really is a challenge I want to resolve. Talking with her is NOT an option, she gets a glazed look when anyone tries to explain things to her.

• Author
Reply to all her emails CC'ing her boss.

She'll stop, or make you look awesome while she looks terrible.

Been doing that for months now, My boss refuses to intercede....

When I flat out said NO I was reprimanded so again, seeking a way that gets the message across without being the bad lady.

I do want to make it clear that I go above and beyond in helping out at work, as a team player. I just think being a door mat is not the answer ,,,,,

'Can you do xxx?'

'No'

'Why not?'

'Why do you want to know?'

Then, ignore. 'I have to get back to work now'.

TBH, if I got reprimanded for saying no to some lazy DBO, I'd give the boss the finger and go to work for their competitor and clean their clock. But that's me. Business is business...

Our business has taboo words, one being we are never to say we are "TOO BUSY"

Well Tayla, I guess management painted you into a corner with that one. What other reason could you possibly have while you're at work :confused:

thats bull and you know it

I've let a pushy colleague know I have a full plate, that's the way it is in the workplace sometimes.

txsilkysmoothe

I'm not impressed with your boss at all. I will go so far as to say your boss is not qualified to hold that position.

You're in a ridiculous situation with ridiculous people so how about some ridiculous solutions -

Work slower so that you truly aren't finished with your own work and able to help her

ask her to help you each day before she asks for your help

let her work fall through the cracks

send her work back to her the day after she gives it to you and ask if she can do it

tell her yes I can help with "X" but I need your help with "Y"

Don't know if this is an option, but tell your boss that you will be happy to help but you'll need to do it after hours and ask for approval for overtime pay.

You'll need to become an actress and act totally sincere when doing these things.

I say be as ridiculous as she and your boss are being. I'm most disappointed in your boss. I would be tempted to go over his/her head.

• Author

txsilk, Thanks for giving some positive feedback. ! Love some of the ideas. Will need to work on the acting part.

carhill, appreciate your viewpoint. My boss is the owner. The co worker thinks she's the owner...get my drift.

kittykat84

It's probably really passive aggressive, but I would just stop doing the tasks she sends on to you.

Just do your own work and if she dares ask you why you haven't finished HER work, I would just say "Sorry I haven't finished my tasks yet" or some such.

I mean, what is SHE doing??? Is she obviously slacking off?

TaraMaiden

It doesn't matter how big or how little the company is.

I don't even know if you have a HR department.

But I would write a formal letter - and I do mean, ON the record - officially complaining about this colleague, and stating that unless something is done, you intend to refuse to do any of her tasks unless it can be shown that she is incapable for whatever reason, of doing them herself.

You do not object to supporting a colleague when their workload becomes too onerous, or if they need assistance because they are experiencing some difficulty with the objective of the task itself. but you will not be a dogsbody or pack-donkey for another employee simply because it appears that they merely do not wish to do the work themselves.

If you are expected to continue taking the employee's workload, then you expect your salary to reflect the increased workload, and to be commensurate with the increased duties.

This measure takes effect immediately.

You would welcome a reply, but you hope that you have made your position clear.

pureinheart
Brief synopsis: Co worker is often *delegating* her duties to my desk as she is forever busy. (not true but lets pretend).

She has been told various times to contact the boss before dishing out her duties, she doesn't. She is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

I've been challenged recently by her bombardment of emails requesting I take on tasks that she is more then capable in completing. Not once do I go to her to have my task completed. According to my boss she doesnt work *smarter* or *harder* as she chases her tail, yet she is here to stay. So I ask you folks, what are some polite ways to direct a person to do their own work without coming off as an non team player. I do not believe that doing the team members work is really what being a team player is about, but try telling her. So would appreciate feedback and suggestions. Thanks!!

I finally had to say "no" to my co-workers due to my supervisor asking me for "bean count" and it didn't add up....I felt bad because the ladies would ask me to help them for good reasons...I worked in a clean room environment at times and had to work in tight and confined places...I could "fit" in hard to get to places by being a contortionist....at the time I was younger and could do this and they were unable to.

This clean room environment was time consuming because you had to suit up and follow all kinds of various procedures with an inspection team....interesting, by the time you passed all of the requirements to do your job it was break time and had to do the whole thing all over again...lol....

They got upset with me and so I asked them to speak to our supervisor about it because I was getting nailed...their hearts were in the right place and were frustrated because they just wanted the job done, which IMO is an excellent trait.

How about, "I'm working on something else right now, I'll get back to you if I get a spare moment to do your work".

Then, just never get back to her. If she follows-up, repeat, "Sorry, I'm still working on my stuff - good luck!"

• Author

Thanks folks for your supportive words and ideas! Each deserving of implementing.

Enema- Good idea to simply place things on the back burner til she gets the message that her tactic is just not going to be jumped upon.

TaraMaiden- .

I do like you straight up attitude, Brief and to the point!

• Author

Update Info: Been doing some of the suggestions, Talk about being backlashed from it. She in turn is refusing to turn over reports and information that is required "she is just too busy" to worry about my stuff. Soooo...I get incompletes and a chastised look from my boss for not having my work done. Gotta love small business antics! Think I'll stay between a rock and a hard place, at least someone will know where I am :)

Been doing that for months now, My boss refuses to intercede....

When I flat out said NO I was reprimanded so again, seeking a way that gets the message across without being the bad lady.

I do want to make it clear that I go above and beyond in helping out at work, as a team player. I just think being a door mat is not the answer ,,,,,

Then your boss is giving you the message that he/she wants you to co-operate and to work it out amongst yourselves. You will probably make more trouble for yourself by refusing- so I'd co-operate. Make sure you CC both the tasks and completion of the tasks to your boss...

Pick and choose when to complain.

Well, if the employment market was better I'd consider making a stand, or leaving the job. I don't know the specifics of your work, but can you take on only those specific tasks that cause your work to be incomplete?

Right now though, I guess security is paramount so you might have to just bend over and hold your ankles while surreptitiously trying to bring light to her ineptitude.

i'd be straight up and say "no, got plenty to do on my own" i get paid to take care of mine and you get paid to take care of yours... if i get time i'll come ask you if you need help. then, if you have time - go ask her.

sounds like the boss overlooks her inadequate work habits - is there a reason? are they dating?

• Author
Then your boss is giving you the message that he/she wants you to co-operate and to work it out amongst yourselves. You will probably make more trouble for yourself by refusing- so I'd co-operate. Make sure you CC both the tasks and completion of the tasks to your boss...

Pick and choose when to complain.

D-Lish- So you support a co worker tossing her work load to another ? Saying NO politely is an assertive trait not to be confused with belligerent. Trying to understand your view point ....