As part of my quarter-year crisis, I'm trying to decide what field to do my postgrad in, or whether to switch fields entirely. I've been told that taking up internships or shadowing people in various work sectors would be a good idea.

However, I was told that internships in most places are reserved for students who are currently taking a relevant course, as part of their degree requirements. Can someone who isn't currently a student, be offered an internship?

And if not, how would I apply to shadow someone in their line of work? Follow them around for a couple of days, observe what they do? Frankly, I've almost never seen it being done - maybe it just isn't common practice in my place.

As part of my quarter-year crisis, I'm trying to decide what field to do my postgrad in, or whether to switch fields entirely. I've been told that taking up internships or shadowing people in various work sectors would be a good idea.

However, I was told that internships in most places are reserved for students who are currently taking a relevant course, as part of their degree requirements. Can someone who isn't currently a student, be offered an internship?

And if not, how would I apply to shadow someone in their line of work? Follow them around for a couple of days, observe what they do? Frankly, I've almost never seen it being done - maybe it just isn't common practice in my place.

At my workplace I allow 2-3 internships per year (depending on where we are in our work cycle). Usually the people I choose for internships are people who have finished college, and have shown that they are serious about wanting to work in my field. Normally I don't do pre-graduate internships, because if I really like the person, I don't want to let them go away for 6+ months to finish school. I primarily do internships to see if someone who has no practical work experience, but does demonstrate the education, drive, and knowledge, might pan out to be a hire by the end of their stint. I have hired a few interns over the years, and I was once on an intershipship years ago, that got my hired into my business as well - so I definitely am in favor of these.

• Author

Oh no, that wouldn't be good for me. :( I was primarily looking to do internships in fields different from my major.