Qs about part-time/temp jobs

How difficult or easy is it to land a part-time job in the city, usually? I was under the impression that Subway, McDs, Starbucks, shopping centres etc always needed more people, but I could be wrong. Is there ever a possibility of not getting any job at all if you're willing to work at such things?

Also, when a job requirement says 'Strong MS Office skills' or something of the sort, how will you even prove it? Surely they don't expect you to bring a portfolio of stuff you've done with MS Office along with your CV?

You'reasian
How difficult or easy is it to land a part-time job in the city, usually? I was under the impression that Subway, McDs, Starbucks, shopping centres etc always needed more people, but I could be wrong. Is there ever a possibility of not getting any job at all if you're willing to work at such things?

Also, when a job requirement says 'Strong MS Office skills' or something of the sort, how will you even prove it? Surely they don't expect you to bring a portfolio of stuff you've done with MS Office along with your CV?

When unemployment is high in your city, everyone is scrambling for retail and fast food jobs.

If you have strong MS Office skills, prove it. Do bring in a portfolio of things you have created.

Better yet, do some research on the organization you wish to work for and create an MS chart, spreadsheet, database or presentation etc. for one of their lines of business the company is engaged in...

During hard times, its best to think outside the box.

Tell them you want to work on a project basis.

• Author

Woah, seriously, it's possible to not even land a waitressing job? I did think the economy was picking up a little already... isn't it?

You'reasian
Woah, seriously, it's possible to not even land a waitressing job? I did think the economy was picking up a little already... isn't it?

Check the unemployment statistics for your city to get the big picture of employment. If you're looking at near 10% unemployment or more, there's probably a good chance that whatever job you're looking for is one that many, many others want.

Can't hurt to talk with others in the area you'd like to work - they can give you more specifics about shops or stores you're considering for work.

• Author

7%, apparently. Pretty high.

How do I find others in the area? There doesn't seem to be an online forum for them. :p

On a side note, for jobs that require 'experience', does experience of a few weeks/a month count? :/ The online job listings for part-time jobs in that city seems to show that every damned job is asking for experience, including jobs for waitresses, operation line factory staff, baristas, hotel cleaning staff and data entry staff. Seriously?! Aren't all of those supposed to be low-level part-time jobs that most people without experience or qualifications can get into?

Btw, regarding data entry, do I really need to attend some sort of typing course to be considered eligible since they specified a requirement for high-speed typing? Or is it possible to just go there and show them? Online typing tests have clocked me at 90-100 wpm, which I'd say is decent. Even if I am using two fingers. :/

Edited by Elswyth