What do I tell potential interviewers?

I was laid off last summer and was lucky enough to find a job in my industry within a few months. I came from a much larger competitor company (Company A) and made significantly more. But everyone was super nice and helpful during my first month. I thought that I could make this new employer (Company B) my new career. Then month after I started they issued a company memo indicating my previous position and that I was with Company A. It was downhill from there. :(

The people I work with directly have gone from being passive aggressive to openly hostile towards me. Others give me the cold shoulder or don't even speak to me. Ex: I'll say hello to someone in the copy room and won't get any response. At first I thought it was just me but then I found out from my previous employer (Company A) that my new boss at Company B had applied for the position I had at before I was laid off.

Talk about a sticky situation. :eek:

I have been actively looking for a new position but I'm not sure how to broach the subject when interviewing about why I am thinking about leaving Company B after such a short time. Any suggestions?

Lauriebell82
I was laid off last summer and was lucky enough to find a job in my industry within a few months. I came from a much larger competitor company (Company A) and made significantly more. But everyone was super nice and helpful during my first month. I thought that I could make this new employer (Company B) my new career. Then month after I started they issued a company memo indicating my previous position and that I was with Company A. It was downhill from there. :(

The people I work with directly have gone from being passive aggressive to openly hostile towards me. Others give me the cold shoulder or don't even speak to me. Ex: I'll say hello to someone in the copy room and won't get any response. At first I thought it was just me but then I found out from my previous employer (Company A) that my new boss at Company B had applied for the position I had at before I was laid off.

Talk about a sticky situation. :eek:

I have been actively looking for a new position but I'm not sure how to broach the subject when interviewing about why I am thinking about leaving Company B after such a short time. Any suggestions?

Did you lie to them and say you didn't get laid off? Or not disclose that you worked at the company at all? I'm confused why you didn't admit to it (which I'm assuming you didn't admit since they caught you), generally if you tell an employer that you were let go but it wasn't performance related and they call your previous employer and verify that, they most likely won't hold that against you..it wasn't your fault.

If you feel like you need to leave your current position then I would admit to being laid off last summer and leave Company A on resume. It would be safer to admit to working at Company B for only a month so you don't get yourself in this situation again. You aren't fired yet so basically you need to come up with a good justification that a potential employer could overlook. I would not suggest saying "my company is being mean to me so I want to leave."

I am actually kind of in the same situation you are, however I did not get laid off, I got let go because of personality conflicts with my boss. Which sucked. I finally found a job after looking for 6 months, which I am currently at. Unfortunately I am not earning any money because the position is contracted where I only get paid if I see clients..and I have no clients, therefore no money. I went on an interview this past Tuesday and told them the truth..that I'm not getting any clients and am looking for a reliable job full time job. They are checking my references so chances are I will get an offer.

I would not say you are having conflict with co-workers/bosses..employers don't like that. You could say that the job is "not for you" and although you like the company (even though you don't) you would like to find a job that is a good match for you and that you are really good at. Convince them that you will be good at the job at hand and that you will be a real asset to their team.

Good luck!!!

• Author

:eek: My post was misunderstood - sorry my fault. I didn't do anything wrong or lie to anyone.

The industry I work in is very unique. There are less than a handful of workplaces in the country that are in the same industry therefore every company is familiar with each other. When the economy went down the drain so did a lot of our demand. I was laid off due to a lack of work - not because I did anything wrong or wasn't a good employee.

When I interviewed at my current company they knew I was laid off from Company A. It was on my resume and we spoke about it during my interview. The VP was excited to have me on board and the experience I could bring to the company was welcomed. They were looking for someone that could provide a fresh insight and more contacts/potential business.

Now I work at Company B and because of managerial changes I have a new supervisor than I was originally assigned. Years ago this new supervisor and I both applied for the position I held at Company A and I was the one that was hired for the position. That leaves some bad blood between us (rather on her part - I could really care less). Infact, I didn't even realize she had applied until she told me about it and said how she deserved the job more than I did.

The environment is hostile and I don't enjoy working in a place where I am treated as an outsider.

I know the subject of why I am seeking a new job after such a short period of time will come up. I do not want to hash up any of the drama. I'd like to find a way to say that I enjoy my work but I'm looking for a different work environment.

Lauriebell82
:eek: My post was misunderstood - sorry my fault. I didn't do anything wrong or lie to anyone.

The industry I work in is very unique. There are less than a handful of workplaces in the country that are in the same industry therefore every company is familiar with each other. When the economy went down the drain so did a lot of our demand. I was laid off due to a lack of work - not because I did anything wrong or wasn't a good employee.

When I interviewed at my current company they knew I was laid off from Company A. It was on my resume and we spoke about it during my interview. The VP was excited to have me on board and the experience I could bring to the company was welcomed. They were looking for someone that could provide a fresh insight and more contacts/potential business.

Now I work at Company B and because of managerial changes I have a new supervisor than I was originally assigned. Years ago this new supervisor and I both applied for the position I held at Company A and I was the one that was hired for the position. That leaves some bad blood between us (rather on her part - I could really care less). Infact, I didn't even realize she had applied until she told me about it and said how she deserved the job more than I did.

The environment is hostile and I don't enjoy working in a place where I am treated as an outsider.

I know the subject of why I am seeking a new job after such a short period of time will come up. I do not want to hash up any of the drama. I'd like to find a way to say that I enjoy my work but I'm looking for a different work environment.

Ahh, got it. Yeah, that is why I was let go (unjustly I believe) because of conflict and hostility with my supervisor. I was there for a year 1/2 and it was VERY hard to explain what had happened. I know that's part of what took me so long to find a job.

I would not speak about the conflict or drama at your current job. Like I suggested, I would say that while you like the company, you feel that the job is not right for you and although they were very excited to get you on board, you feel that you talents would be better used with (insert job you are interviewing for). I don't think employers will automatically discount you because of the fact that you are only at your job for a month and want to leave. What raises a red flag is if you make it a pattern, jumping from job to job.

There are a million different ways to explain why you want to leave, ranging from you want to get into another area of your field or feel that your current job does not fit your current job goals.

I'd like to find a way to say that I enjoy my work but I'm looking for a different work environment.

Say just that. Then explain in a positive manner. For example, I enjoy my work but after working in environment of company A then company B;

- I find it more simulating to work in a team team oriented environment (then have any example where you worked well on a team project)

- I find that a I am more productive in a environment where that encourages independent problem solving and greater creativity (then offer and example where you were able to do so in a successful manner)

- My strengths in this position is my ability priorities client experience for greater profitability and once again want to prioritizes that (again follow by an example of such)

It is important that you project that both company are quality but just has different systems or ways of doing things that utilize different individual strengths.

Good luck