Possible forced job reassignment

I need some advice from someone in HR about this situation -

At work I was transferred into this group over 5 years ago as a result of a reorganization - the group I was with previously had cut back on staff and management decided to move me to another area. It turned out to be a promotion for me in the long run although I was never been fully trained for the position I now hold. Part of the reason is the assignments and responsibilities I've had plus management did not show too much interest in actually training me even though a promise was made to make me fully qualified. I've picked up stuff here and there such as certification in the industry I am in but I am not as fully trained experience wise.

My problem is I have a coworker who tried to get our boss' boss to transfer me out of the group to my prior position a couple of years ago but failed as my then boss blocked the move. The coworker stated I wasn't qualified for the position (despite my ratings indicating I was meeting the job qualifications). Since then that boss was fired (coworker partly responsible) and we have a new boss. We have an opening for a position a grade level higher than ours; I am satisfied with the position I hold now so I am not showing interest in it as I'm certain it involves managing people. This spot would probably manage 2 people, me being one of them. I am certain the coworker has interviewed for this position based on his behavior and comments lately regarding wanting to get promoted, thinking about moving on, etc.. He told me in the past he's not interested in managing people however there's a contractor nearby (actually working for someone in another department the coworker also does work for) who he's been delegating work to that has qualifications that fit what we do. Contractors are not covered under the formal goals and objectives/performance review stuff too.

My concern is if he does get the slot he'll want to have 2 contractors and try to get me moved back to my old slot (I've heard him say on a couple of occasions how I'm excellent at that work) which will cause me trouble salary wise (I'm sure I'll be too high in my old job's salary range for an increase anytime soon) or he fails moving me and makes my job miserable so I'd quit or the assignments I get won't get me the ratings I've gotten in the past. If he doesn't get the position I have nothing to worry about, they'll just hire someone else who I can start out fresh with.

Anyway, given the situation - in a job which I've never fully been trained for but have gotten satisfactory reviews for 5 years, done what's been expected of me although it does not reflect the full realm of the position, I've shown interest in the other responsibilities but prior management was never interested in me actually doing it (coworker was doing that work) - is it unrealistic to be moved back to a position that one held several years ago based on this scenario? Would I have grounds for protest if it actually did happen?

is it unrealistic to be moved back to a position that one held several years ago based on this scenario? Would I have grounds for protest if it actually did happen?

If the pay grade of the position you would move back to is less then you make now, you will either be demoted from your current pay grade to that one, or, they won't put you back there at all. No one is generally going to pay someone more than the actual position is worth - unless your company is fiscally irresponsible.

In terms of protesting, it depends on your status within the company. Are you are member of a union?

Protesting is always a dangerous game, and may fall on deaf ears, or damage your future reputation with management. It doesn't sound like you have any grounds for a formal complaint (i.e. discrimination, harassment, etc) so, I’m not sure if protesting will help you – but you know your situation better than I do, and would know whether or not that risk was worth it.

Best of luck with how this plays out :)

thread bump so i can overpower the spammer. mods can delete this once they've zapped the spambot.

• Author

Blackfrost,

The issue I'd have if they moved me back is during the time I've been in this position I've received raises and bonuses, (including one last fall and a recent bonus) some of them were quite generous. I'd question their motives now if they'd say I was unable to get the job done based on this alone - then why keep increasing my pay?

I am not part of a union either.

I would argue that since you have been in the position for 5 years that should be training enough (by default). If you are satisfactorily meeting your expectations per your reviews then you are showing you are qualifed for the work. I would argue why a demotion would happen based on your 5 prior evaluations.

Have you spoken to HR about it? Maybe going over your initial training and your current status and whether there is a disconnect on the job responsibilities. My thoughts, once you have the first review and especially if it is satisfactory, you are trained and in position.

• Author

Got it,

It hasn't happened (yet) so no discussion with HR. If it did happen job performance would be something I'd discuss with them - I've never had any disciplinary warnings in this position so I'd think I'd at least get a warning.