flirting with disaster

I recently got hired as a supervisor in a retail setting. This is a very informal company and the branch that I work at has a very dynamic group of individuals. Well, there's this guy that works there. I'm completely fascinated by him.

First off, he's my subordinate (I'm his new boss). Second, he's seventeen (I'm 22). Third, I have a very steady boyfriend.

I don't know what it is. He's good looking, fun and... well it probably doesn't matter what he's like. The point is, we have a good time working with each other. We never flirt, and if we do, it's completely innocent. But I can't help but think that I have a tiny crush on him. And, I have a feeling that he has a crush on me.

But, I have no intentions of having anything other than a business relationship with him. He knows that I have a boyfriend. I know that pursuing anything with him is completely out of the question, and dangerous at that.

It's just that I'm completely drawn to him. When I was his age, I was a big fat dork and he would probably be the guy that I would have a crush on. Now, it's like the tables are turned and I don't know what to do. This is my first time in a supervising position and I'm unsure as to what I should do professionally.

I'm a mess. I'm sorry if you think I'm unethical.

This guy is a child.

Since you are his supervisor, you could be violating labor laws by getting involved with him in any way other than professional. Since he is a minor, you could go to jail for having sex with him (statutory rape and contributing to the delinquency of a minor child). You could lose your steady boyfriend. Having a fling with an employee you supervise would not look good on your work record for the future.

I don't see anything positive about this situation. Why don't you just enjoy flirting with the kid, fantasizing about him, and leave it at that? There's just all kinds of trouble you can get yourself into by taking this any further than it is right now.

• Author

Tony,

I never said I was really going to do anything. I was just wondering if it was okay to have this crush on a coworker even though he's a minor, my subordinate and I have a boyfriend. I'm not stupid or anything. I know about statutory rape, company policy and romantic relationships. I thought all that was common knowledge.

Like I said, I've never been in a situation quite like this one. I was just wondering if a small crush was okay.

winnieloveshunny

crush (noun) - temporary love of an adolescent

Synonyms: puppy love, calf love, infatuation

I guess it's harmless to have a small crush since I don't think this feeling for the guy should last long and there's no way to control how you should feel anyway. Leave it as it is. Don't tell him that you like him etc. Remain as colleagues.