I'm a teacher and I get on pretty well with the colleagues in my department. One of them - a 25-year woman upset me and I don't know where to go from here. I have never really had any problems with co-workers!

What happened: we were pretty friendly but the last week she has been making jokes about me. She is a very bitter, negative, sarcastic girl but I have always thought that she is nice underneath all that. In front of the department in her usually sarcastic way and 'joking' she pretty much called me ugly, dumb, hopeless and Friday she said that I should hand in my notice on Monday as I'm failing at my job. All said in a joking way, even I laughed along because what she was saying was soo ridiculous. Friday when I went home I cried. I never cry, I just get angry. I'm new in the department.

Am I being silly, taking a joke too seriously or is there something in this?

Thanks,

Nx

In my experience sometimes people say stuff they truly mean and try to play it off as "I was joking.". Maybe your work has been noticed by your Boss and she can't stand it or maybe she's just a little witch. Either way that is her issue to deal with and not yours.

If you had to cry I am so glad you waited until you were home. She sounds like an office bully and those types would relish in knowing they were the reason behind it. You did fine by laughing it off in front of her. From now on just try to do a good job. Doing a good job is the best thing you can do for yourself, plus it might also piss her off in the process. Lol.

Sarcasm is not a joke and putting people down is not funny. Your colleague probably has a self-esteem problem and the knife can cut both ways if you let it ;)

I would say one comment on her low self-esteem in front of everyone should put her in her place and remind her to stay there...

Especially if she's not the best looking around, you can always quote Berlusconi saying "By far you have more beauty than brains..." :lmao: