Lets try this again.....

TwinkletOes26

Does anyone know of any places to take a cosmetology course online??? I remember I asked before about online Cosmetology programs. I could not get a decent answer because people were more interested in my accidental mispellings and as to "why" i would be interested in being a mua.

I want to go online so I can continue working. I also just want a course on skincare. I believe that without great skin your makeup wont look as good. I would like to also be able to not only help educate others on healthy skin practices but myself as well. You do not need a course in color placement and combination. Loads of makeup artist have never stepped foot inside a cosmetology school. Also cosmetology courses are nowhere near as long as regular college courses. So I wont be "wasting" anytime.

Let me say before some folks get started that people are allowed more than one interest. Who says i cant be a counselor and do make up on the side. Ive always enjoyed cosmetics I just went to college instead because I thought counseling was a more stable career. You do not need a certificate to be a makeup artist. You can do freelance and do just as well. You dont need a course to teach you color placement. I often do family and friends makeup for events and for going out. I have a very diverse social group so the skin colors range from pale as snow to dark as mohogany.

If the recession has taught me anything its to have SEVERAL things you can fall back on. Women will always want to look nice for special occassions heck even to go out. This way if I ever fall on hard times again I can have something to fall back on.

To keep this thread from going south I will ask that unless you know of a online cosmetology course or have something useful to add please refrain from responding. Theres no need to lecture me or try to analyze my motives. Sometimes there is no hidden agenda people want to do things because they are interested in them and want to give it a go...tis all.

Thanks in advance for any help:).

Seeing as cosmetology school actually involves working ON peopl pretty much from day one, and are constantly being trained and tested in person, I really doubt you'll find an online program.

I can't recommend any courses. You may have already considered this, and if you haven't then I hope you find it helpful.

To be an MUA (and actually get paid work) you need to network, and you need to have a portfolio. Doing MU for friensd and family is a great way to get your portfolio built for free. I would also recommend networking with models, especially models and photographers who are just starting out, because you could probably also build your portfolio (and get more exposure) this way, for trade as opposed to paying for it. This, of course, is only if the cost of your kit is worth the shoot/exposure you will get.

Also consider that especially once you have gone through a course, people (friends, family) are still going to want your services for free, whenever they may want them. How will you deal with that?

Good luck :)

• Author
TwinkletOes26
I can't recommend any courses. You may have already considered this, and if you haven't then I hope you find it helpful.

To be an MUA (and actually get paid work) you need to network, and you need to have a portfolio. Doing MU for friensd and family is a great way to get your portfolio built for free. I would also recommend networking with models, especially models and photographers who are just starting out, because you could probably also build your portfolio (and get more exposure) this way, for trade as opposed to paying for it. This, of course, is only if the cost of your kit is worth the shoot/exposure you will get.

Also consider that especially once you have gone through a course, people (friends, family) are still going to want your services for free, whenever they may want them. How will you deal with that?

Good luck :)

Well as far as family goes my MAMA is the only one who ill do for free all the time bc well ..shes my mama lol.... My friends depends if its just going out or for a date its free...but if its a big event like a wedding or such depends if i have to do them and their family ill have to charge. My kit would consist of a 120,130 e/s palette...blush palette...various different brands of makeup. Imo its not the products as much as it is the application. Theres a drugstore brand called NYX omg youd never guess it was drugstore bc the quality and pigmentation is so great :)...

Thanks for wishing me luck :)

• Author
TwinkletOes26
Seeing as cosmetology school actually involves working ON peopl pretty much from day one, and are constantly being trained and tested in person, I really doubt you'll find an online program.

Actually I just want a skincare course bc makeup application isnt worth poo if your skin isnt properly taken care of :D. I can work on people in my spare time to practice color payment on different skin types and tones. Theres all sorts of help online including face charts. I have several beauty books and such to draw inspiration from.You dont need a certificated to be a freelance makeup artist(at least in my and several other states). Therefore there wont be a whole lot of testing going on.

I know a lot of about different application techniques its just skin care im kinda murky on. I especially want to learn about antiaging products how they work and what is best for whom. Acne and scarring is another thing I would love to learn about....microdemabrasion,chemical peels,lasering ect ect ect ect. Ive gotten books but I feel a course would help me learn even more.

Rollercoasterr

Yeah, since cosmetology requires that you practice on people and it's sort of a hands-on kind of thing I doubt that you're going to find an online course for it, and especially not one that's any good. How can you learn about cosmetology by looking at a screen? You might as well watch Youtube videos about how to put make-up on because that would be essentially what you would be doing.

One of the girls I work with is going to cosmetology school and it's grueling. She has to go all day Wed-Saturday, and work at the store Sun-Tues.

And sorry, but I wouldn't trust anyone to do my make-up that said they went to school online. Online courses can be good for a lot of things, but I want my make-up artist and hair stylist to have had lots of practice before ever touching any part of me. I'm going to assume that most people who aren't your friends or family are going to feel the same way.

Good luck though. :o

And sorry, but I wouldn't trust anyone to do my make-up that said they went to school online.

I'm going to assume that most people who aren't your friends or family are going to feel the same way.

Yeah, I really have to agree. I wouldn't let anyone near my face or hair who had gone to an online school.

• Author
TwinkletOes26

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it :D...just know if youve ever been to a cosmetics counter and had your makeup done I doubt that those few if any of those girls have been to cosmetology school.

Lots of people are freelance which means theyve never been to school. I could understand not wanting someone who has never been to beauty school to do your hair because they could seriously damage your hair. Like i said before you can do freelance makeup and LOTS of people do that.

The reason your friend spends so much time in cosmetology school is because shes probably wanting to get certified to work in a spa type place. That is important because she will be doing facials,nails,and hair removal.

People allow those who have never been to cosmetology school to do their makeup all the time..why? because its cheaper and you can get the same result. If you are worried about being sanitary there are ways to apply makeup in a sanitary way...Thank you for your opinion though:D.

• Author
TwinkletOes26

Oh just as an example this girl http://www.youtube.com/user/QueenofBlendingMUA

Is freelance and has said she never went full time to beauty school. She is AMAZING.

another example :

She was a school teacher and now she freelances as a mua

They dont teach you real techniques for applying makeup.They teach you the basics that you can learn from reading any beauty book thats sold..how do I know....Ive had a few buddies pass through beauty school.

Im just saying just bc someone didnt attend beauty school doesnt mean they arent talented and will mess your face up. Any decent freelance mua will have a portfolio where you can see their work. Worst thing that can happen is you dont like the color/amount of blush they put on you. Its just makeup not chemical straightening lol :D.

Rollercoasterr

It's not about being sanitary, it's about knowing what you're doing.

Sure, people go to a make-up counter and get their make-up done, but most of the time it's free, or very very low cost. There's no way I'm going to pay anyone whos only experience is an online cosmetology school touch me. That's asking to come out looking like a clown.

Do you realize how silly it's going to look to a prospect client when you tell them that you went to online cosmetology school??? That'd be like going to online medical school to be a surgeon!

But if you must be as stubborn as always, then waste your money. I can almost guarantee you that your only regular customers will be friends and family. If people are going to pay money for things, they're gonna want someone who knows what they are doing. Sorry to say, but watching a video does not constitute knowing what you're doing.

It's actually almost robbery to charge someone money to watch videos and call it cosmetology school. You might as well watch those youtube videos and say you graduated from the youtube school of cosmetology.

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it :D..

You said you want to go to an online cosmetology school for SKINCARE, and specifically, NOT makeup.

And I'll say it again: I would not let someone near my SKIN who didn't go to a real school.

Rollercoasterr
Oh just as an example this girl http://www.youtube.com/user/QueenofBlendingMUA

Is freelance and has said she never went full time to beauty school. She is AMAZING.

another example :

She was a school teacher and now she freelances as a mua

They dont teach you real techniques for applying makeup.They teach you the basics that you can learn from reading any beauty book thats sold..how do I know....Ive had a few buddies pass through beauty school.

Im just saying just bc someone didnt attend beauty school doesnt mean they arent talented and will mess your face up. Any decent freelance mua will have a portfolio where you can see their work. Worst thing that can happen is you dont like the color/amount of blush they put on you. Its just makeup not chemical straightening lol :D.

So if you're going to sit there and say bad things about cosmetology school, then explain again why it is that you're going to pay an online cosmetology school to basically teach you nothing but what you already know???

I have no problem with make-up artists who never went to school. Some people are naturally talented. I do want them to be experienced and have good customer reviews. But saying that you went to an online cosmetology school is actually funny, and not in a "that's neat" kind of way, but in a "you actually PAID for that?" kind of way.

But like SG said, you originally said SKINCARE. No one is going near my skin that isn't licensed and a cosmetology/dermatology school graduate. No way, no how.

• Author
TwinkletOes26

Yes I did say I wanted to learn more about skin care to TELL people about it SHARE what I learned. I not once said I was going to give facials...HECK NO. I also said I wanted to learn more about what goes into products and how they work so i could help out others. I would never think about touching someones face without going to real school.

Again I think you have misunderstood my meaning. Learning about proper skin care and what products work best with what skin type is MILES away from giving someone a chemical peel.

I would never try to give anyone including myself a chemical peel without attending a standing school.