So I interviewed for this job and...

For those who took an interest when I announced I had an academic job interview...

I got the job!!!! It's basically my dream job, in a center focused on my area of study, in a mid-size university, with a balance between research and teaching. The expectations for tenure are also fairly easy to meet.

:bunny::bunny::bunny::)

SadandConfusedWA

Congrats Kamille!

I have a question: I know that you have recently finshied/or are finishing your PhD. Is the job at the same university that you did your PhD at? And if not, was there a possibility of staying and working at the same place? (I am curious because I also work in academia).

• Author

I have a question: I know that you have recently finshied/or are finishing your PhD. Is the job at the same university that you did your PhD at? And if not, was there a possibility of staying and working at the same place? (I am curious because I also work in academia).

The job isn't at the same University where I did my PhD (finished in Jan). The school where I did my PhD is considered top tier for the Canadian university system, whereas the school where I will work is a mid-level university. So in a way, I am leaving the Ivy league, but this works for me as I found Ivy to be too competitive. I think I will be quite happy in this school, especially since they are specialized in my field and the work load will allow me to have a balanced life outside of work.

There wasn't really a way for me to "stay" at my school. They just hired a faculty in my field and I don't foresee a position opening up anytime soon. I could have tried my hand at being a sessional for a few years and then hopefully find a few one-year contracts until a position opened up in my field -but I am longing for job permanence and there is already a few other post-grads who are working as sessionals in the hopes of one day making it at my PhD school.

Thanks Lizzie for the congrats and best wishes! I still can't believe I did it.

• Author
Wow ! Terrific news !! Congrats :D

Will you still be going overseas for a year ?

Thanks Melody! Yes, I will be going overseas for six months and then come back to start the position. My new university fully supports the research I will do overseas (isn't it great?)

The school is in another city than the one where I currently live. BF and I have been discussing what to do. The two cities are within driving distance, so we will give LDR a try and see what happens.

I can't believe I'm going to have my own office!

Congrats, that's amazing! Also, I'm jealous (and totally admire you) - if I had the drive and commitment to do what you've done...

• Author
Congrats, that's amazing! Also, I'm jealous (and totally admire you) - if I had the drive and commitment to do what you've done...

thanks Lora! I have still have days when I wake up and think: "I have to work on my PhD". It isn't sinking in that I'm actually done, much less sinking in that I got a job.

But I will say one thing: I managed to finish the PhD because I decided it didn't have to be perfect, it just had to get done. Turns out I got it done and it's good enough to help me continue in a teaching and research career.

SadandConfusedWA

Kam, thanks for answering my question.

I have another one:

How many publications do you have in total and how many of these were done during your PhD?

• Author

I have 8 publications in total, most collaborations. Two are as sole author. Three are peer-reviewed (one of them single author, one first author, one collaborator). Four of these I published during the PhD, two are forthcoming and two were during my masters.

Are you currently doing a PhD SACWA? Or, what are your responsibilities in academia?

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope better keeps coming your way:bunny:

Edited by Jade 02
sp
  • Author
Grats! :)

I'm curious what a sessional is and what he/she does, though?

A sessional is usually a PhD student or a recently graduated PhD student who is hired to teach on a per course basis. Basically in a department, you have tenured faculty, associate professors (usually on the tenure track), contractuals (who have a one year contract to teach from 3-5 classes) and then sessionals (who are hired per course, but can cumulate up to 6 courses a year). Faculty and associate professors choose which classes they want to teach, contractuals are hired for some other classes and then whatever courses aren't covered are offered to sessional teachers. Sessional offers no job stability as sessional lecturers cannot "count" on being offered employment on a steady basis.

A sessional contract usually pays around 5000-8000 dollars per course, whereas, once I reach my full workload (in three years) I will be asked to teach four classes a year and get paid a lot more then if I was teaching these on a sessional basis.

Thanks Star! it really means a lot to me that you're happy for me.:bunny::)

Why wouldn't I be? :p

You've worked VERY hard, and sacrificed quite a bit, to get to where you are. I admire you for that. You deserve it all, 1000x over. :bunny:

• Author

Thanks thanks. Currently in touch with my future union to find out the salary scale. I have to negotiate the contract! So exciting.