Jobs that a take a toll on you mentally

Hi guys/gals,

I was recently promoted after four months in a new position and I basically oversee all customer and corporate relations. I love my job and the freedom that comes with it, but I find that the job itself takes a toll on me mentality because it involves a lot of micromanaging and problem solutions.

The good thing is, its a very good environment, very positive and the people I work with and my managers are great to work for/with. So that definitely aids with the daily rig-a-maroo.

But, I want to avoid a situation where it starts to eat away at me so I am trying to find ways to relieve the stress so that it doesn't take a toll on me.

I know working out is one way, which I admit I've slacked off doing in the winter months, but what other methods are there to mentally ward off the stress that comes with this type of job?

Do you leave work at the office? Delegate as appropriate?

In my blue collar world, we set a time period as our kill period, say 8-5. During that time we're on kill (this means completely focused on work) with the eye on 5 being whatever we want it to be.

As a business owner, I can appreciate your dynamic. Putting out fires is a learned art, as is walking away and letting them burn out on their own. When it's 5 (in the above example) I walk away. It's *my* time.

I find having a close circle of friends goes a long way towards managing stress. This is true even when one is married. Stbx and I would go on walks, which helped diffuse stresses.

threebyfate

The need for micromanaging means one or both, of two things:

1. You have the wrong employees for the job(s).
  2. You have difficulty delegating and need to feel in too much control.

If your people fail you, time and again, it might be communication, training or just plain, the wrong people for the job.

Time to examine what the real underlying issues are, correct them and then your stress level will drop astronomically.

What else is good for stress managment is physical exercise. The better physical condition you are, the better your emotional and intellectual health will be.

Good luck! :)

• Author
Do you leave work at the office? Delegate as appropriate?

In my blue collar world, we set a time period as our kill period, say 8-5. During that time we're on kill (this means completely focused on work) with the eye on 5 being whatever we want it to be.

As a business owner, I can appreciate your dynamic. Putting out fires is a learned art, as is walking away and letting them burn out on their own. When it's 5 (in the above example) I walk away. It's *my* time.

I find having a close circle of friends goes a long way towards managing stress. This is true even when one is married. Stbx and I would go on walks, which helped diffuse stresses.

For the most, I leave work at this office. But I am technically on call around the clock. I delegate matters to corporate, which is in another state, and it involves constant follow-up and like I said, micromanaging because 90% of the time, their work is incorrect (things that have to do with leases, financial, etc).

The managers within my office do a good job of putting out fires. I've relayed my frustrations to my GM and he does a really good job of calming me down and he also has my back 100% of the time. But during my review, he said that I need to relay my frustrations MORE to him, because most of the time I try not to involve him with it because his main area is managing our sales team so he sees that I try to take it on all by myself, which isn't always good to do.

Circle of friends is a definite. Its hard when people are off doing their own things so we always try to make time when we can for each other. I've been friends with most of them since high school or right after, so it is a def source of support.

Walks are nice. Though, I wish I could just lye on a beach and sleep under the warm sun for a few hours :)

• Author
The need for micromanaging means one or both, of two things:

1. You have the wrong employees for the job(s).
  2. You have difficulty delegating and need to feel in too much control.

If your people fail you, time and again, it might be communication, training or just plain, the wrong people for the job.

Time to examine what the real underlying issues are, correct them and then your stress level will drop astronomically.

What else is good for stress managment is physical exercise. The better physical condition you are, the better your emotional and intellectual health will be.

Good luck! :)

We do have "some" of the wrong employees.

Problem is, it is a rather large corporation and they need to keep costs down. If the work is not done correctly, our branch suffers because we oversee our own territory within the country so we are ultimately responsible either way.

I agree with the physical exercise, but I have been lazy in that regard. :(

Can't speak to the white-collar world, but in my world, if work is consistently incorrect, employee goes bye-bye. Lots of folks needing jobs right now. I hold people accountable rather than do their work for them or tell them how. Why should I pay them if I have to do their job? Bye, bye :)

Does your employment package reflect being available 24/7? I'd be pushing mid six-figures for someone to expect to own my skills like that. In fact, I'd be self-employed ;) If your contract does not stipulate it, reduce stress by shutting off the phone. The fire will be there in the morning.

What it boils down to, and people always argue with me on this, is that we each make choices every minute of every day. Are those choices healthy for us? The only person who controls your life is you. You can allow others to control it, but again that's a choice.

I could've stayed in an unhealthy marriage and preserved my financial security. I could've slaved away at a union job all these years and enjoyed a comfortable lifestyle and retirement. I could've finished my degree and worked as an engineer anywhere on this planet. I chose a particular path, for better or worse. Even with all the challenges and costs, I'm glad I did. What's your path and is it healthy for you? Can you accept the balance of the negatives and positives of your choices? If you can, I can guarantee you your stress level will subside. You're fighting right now; fighting something. Only you know what it is. Look in the mirror long enough and you'll find it. I hope it works out for you :)

• Author
Can't speak to the white-collar world, but in my world, if work is consistently incorrect, employee goes bye-bye. Lots of folks needing jobs right now. I hold people accountable rather than do their work for them or tell them how. Why should I pay them if I have to do their job? Bye, bye :)

Does your employment package reflect being available 24/7? I'd be pushing mid six-figures for someone to expect to own my skills like that. In fact, I'd be self-employed ;) If your contract does not stipulate it, reduce stress by shutting off the phone. The fire will be there in the morning.

What it boils down to, and people always argue with me on this, is that we each make choices every minute of every day. Are those choices healthy for us? The only person who controls your life is you. You can allow others to control it, but again that's a choice.

I could've stayed in an unhealthy marriage and preserved my financial security. I could've slaved away at a union job all these years and enjoyed a comfortable lifestyle and retirement. I could've finished my degree and worked as an engineer anywhere on this planet. I chose a particular path, for better or worse. Even with all the challenges and costs, I'm glad I did. What's your path and is it healthy for you? Can you accept the balance of the negatives and positives of your choices? If you can, I can guarantee you your stress level will subside. You're fighting right now; fighting something. Only you know what it is. Look in the mirror long enough and you'll find it. I hope it works out for you :)

I'm always fighting myself Carhill. But I also can see and realize when I need to take a step back and just accept. As for my job, I just received a raise and I am do for another within 30 days. I should be making much more than I do but I am happy that I have a job with good benefits, security and opportunity in this economy. I used to make a lot more a few years back but I quit after several years there because the environment and some of the fellow employees, were not good.

skydiveaddict
I know working out is one way, which I admit I've slacked off doing in the winter months, but what other methods are there to mentally ward off the stress that comes with this type of job?

Skydiving.......

If you are constantly having to manage people's mistakes- I would talk to your boss about disciniplanary actions, written warnings, performance reviews, etc. As a manager, you need the right people on your team in order to make things run smoothly.

People shouldn't be making the same mistakes time and time again- it's sloppy work. Obviously, these people need better training, or they need a kick in the butt to shape up. I would talk to your boss about how to handle that with regard to the policy in your organization.

I have a really hard time unwinding after work. I have days where I come home and I can't sleep at night because I feel overwhelmed - I know where you are coming from. I have to deal with a whole lot of personality conflict issues on a daily basis- and although it's a part of my job, it gets tiresome and frustrating.

If the people that report to you are making that many mistakes and it's stressing you out- It's time for a team meeting.

• Author
Skydiving.......

lol, I'm too scared.

Though, I have wanted to try going into a cage underwater with great white sharks swimming around. I think that would be pretty darn cool.

• Author
If you are constantly having to manage people's mistakes- I would talk to your boss about disciniplanary actions, written warnings, performance reviews, etc. As a manager, you need the right people on your team in order to make things run smoothly.

People shouldn't be making the same mistakes time and time again- it's sloppy work. Obviously, these people need better training, or they need a kick in the butt to shape up. I would talk to your boss about how to handle that with regard to the policy in your organization.

I have a really hard time unwinding after work. I have days where I come home and I can't sleep at night because I feel overwhelmed - I know where you are coming from. I have to deal with a whole lot of personality conflict issues on a daily basis- and although it's a part of my job, it gets tiresome and frustrating.

If the people that report to you are making that many mistakes and it's stressing you out- It's time for a team meeting.

Yeah, it sucks. I don't know of any job though that is 100% stress free. I don't have a problem with not being able to sleep, thank goodness, I know people who do though and it must really be hard. That's when the body revives itself and rests through sleep, so it's really important for you to have.

skydiveaddict
lol, I'm too scared.

Though, I have wanted to try going into a cage underwater with great white sharks swimming around. I think that would be pretty darn cool.

Seriously, try it. biggest rush of your life. All the stress of life will leave you. Free falling @ 16000 ft= best feeling in the world

• Author
Seriously, try it. biggest rush of your life. All the stress of life will leave you. Free falling @ 16000 ft= best feeling in the world

Yes I've heard the adrenaline rush from it is amazing.

Yeah, it sucks. I don't know of any job though that is 100% stress free. I don't have a problem with not being able to sleep, thank goodness, I know people who do though and it must really be hard. That's when the body revives itself and rests through sleep, so it's really important for you to have.

I come into work with 2 xl coffees every morning. People often ask "who you bringing coffee for?"... :omyself.

I think if you can diminish some of the stress derived from correcting other people's work, you will be much happier. Lean on your manager when you need to- and I'd suggest further training for your support staff.

• Author
I come into work with 2 xl coffees every morning. People often ask "who you bringing coffee for?"... :omyself.

I think if you can diminish some of the stress derived from correcting other people's work, you will be much happier. Lean on your manager when you need to- and I'd suggest further training for your support staff.

Thank gosh for coffee :)

Well I am definitely going to funnel more issues through my GM and let him put more fires out, he is the GM so it's really within his authority to make it happen. Our GM oversees our branch and brings in the money for our territory but he/we cannot personally train corporate staff based out of headquarters (which is another state).

There are systems in place within our organization for self training and accountability and the hire ups are responsible for overseeing that, who again, our out of our corporate headquarters. All of us have to go through training on a regular basis though which is good, some just don't follow it though within the company.