Indirect way of my supervisor letting me know I'm her favorite?

My supervisor manages a team of 9 career advisors and she tells me yesterday after I came in late for the 5th time to a meeting

"Listen, you have to stop coming in late because everyone is going to start thinking your are my favorite"

She also told me that she will have no choice but to write me up if I'm late again. That was actually the funniest statement I ever heard from a supervisor. But I guess it does look bad because I live 5 mins away from the jo and everywhere else lives further and they all get there before me.

It doesn't sound like you are her favorite...though you may be a valuable employee. She has fired a warning shot across your bow that I suggest you heed.

I would have already written you up if I was in her position. To live so close yet be habitually late is not only a sign of job disrespect...it also shows you may be irresponsible both professionally and personally...IMHO.

• Author
It doesn't sound like you are her favorite...though you may be a valuable employee. She has fired a warning shot across your bow that I suggest you heed.

I would have already written you up if I was in her position. To live so close yet be habitually late is not only a sign of job disrespect...it also shows you may be irresponsible both professionally and personally...IMHO.

Yeah I need to start waking up earlier especially since it got out that I live 5 mins away.

By allowing one employee to *slide* whilst others are held to higher standards is in a way showing favoritism.

A supervisor does need to tread a fine line.

It sounds like you acknowledge your tardiness and have set a new goal to conform.

IT matters not what others here would do in the position of the supervisor so much as what YOU can Do to remedy the matter. I'm glad you are working towards a new habit. IT does show regard for yourself and other staff members when you are on time.

Ironic as it sounds, My boss created a Late jar and each time an employee is late they have to place a dollar in the jar. Around Thanksgiving we donate the money to a local shelter. Here is the kicker, MY boss who suggested this idea is the most notorious for being not 5 mins late but an hour late to apptments and meetings. For some reason he doesn't have to contribute to the jar yet holds his employees to a higher standard. Gotta love double standards :)

threebyfate

Being late to meetings is sometimes unpreventable when you're in management, since you're getting dragged from one emergency to another. But it might also be a form of power play, where the last one seated, gets to decide who they're going to align with or not, and display it openly. It might also be a sign of someone who has little respect for their subordinates.

But for certain, there's no excuse for always being late for work, especially if you live 5 minutes away. In this, I agree with Crow, 100%. Better pull up your socks or the next warning will be stronger.

I find your post arrogant .

I mean seriously who is late 5 times ??

Is there a sense of entitlement here somewhere ?

I don't get people who are late consistantly. I think its rude and hurts the other employees in a direct way.

• Author
I find your post arrogant .

I mean seriously who is late 5 times ??

Is there a sense of entitlement here somewhere ?

I don't get people who are late consistantly. I think its rude and hurts the other employees in a direct way.

I'm trying to get better at that. It's hard for me to show up at 8:30am and then have a meeting even though it's only 3 days a week. I'm going to suggest maybe having the meeting on tue and thurs that way you won't be coming in to a early morning meeting on a monday after having a active weekend. Atleast if it's a tuesday meeting you are aleady back in the flow

whichwayisup

No, don't suggest that. It'll make you look bad. This is part of your job and which days the meetings are shouldn't be dictated by the employees to make it easier on them. I'm sure EVERYONE has active and busy weekends too, not just you.

You are being PAID to work, and sorry, there's no excuse to be late so many times, even more so since you live so close.

Being late is my big pet peeve.

Poster have you ever been late prior to this situation ? ( be honest ).

I am referring to going out with friends , dates , doctor appointments...

If you say no , I will wonder... because I had a friend who was late for Everything ....school , work , holidays...