How do I approach an old employer for a reference?

Long story short, I'm a student and my last real job was a a work-study term last academic year at my old university (I transferred). An upcoming job requires references but I haven't contacted my work-study supervisor since last year. Further complicating matters is the fact that my work-study boss had referred me another 1-month contract-based job which I was fired from (I was in a really bad mental state and didn't communicate that with my supervisor because I didn't want to expose myself) but I don't think my work-study supervisor would know about it.

Would anyone how I should approach my work-study supervisor for a reference? E-mail? Phone? It feels weird since I haven't made contact in almost a year...

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Long story short, I'm a student and my last real job was a a work-study term last academic year at my old university (I transferred). An upcoming job requires references but I haven't contacted my work-study supervisor since last year. Further complicating matters is the fact that my work-study boss had referred me another 1-month contract-based job which I was fired from (I was in a really bad mental state and didn't communicate that with my supervisor because I didn't want to expose myself) but I don't think my work-study supervisor would know about it.

Would anyone how I should approach my work-study supervisor for a reference? E-mail? Phone? It feels weird since I haven't made contact in almost a year...

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

I would do it by email to eliminate any arkward moments. All the people i asked to use as a reference was by email not phone.

Awkward - Hate that feeling of needed something from someone you don't feel owes you anything. But if you just pick up that phone I'll bet that they would cooperate and get you what you need - that is if they are professionals.

I know that the small companies I've worked for in the past appreciated that I would give them examples of reference letters to help them. If it would make it easier or faster offer to e-mail them examples. I'm sure you could find some on internet or template in Word.

Edited by Duwaditi2