I have an upcoming interview for a job. I have reasons to believe that a colleague of mine has also applied (and been invited to interview).

My question is simple... Can I ask her if she applied? Probably not, right? Please note that she is more qualified than I am for the position.

Kamille, of course you can ask but I wouldn't, until after the choice has been made.

When you're competing for a position, it's best to hold your cards close to your chest. The more information you share, the more information can be also be employed by your competitor.

Can I ask her if she applied? Probably not, right? Please note that she is more qualified than I am for the position.

no you can't ask because they can't tell

don't ask don't tell

• Author

Thanks TBF. That makes lots of sense. I believe she's already interviewed. (As I understand it, I am the last candidate to interview).

But you're right, no need to discuss this until the process is done.

It is just curiosity on my part. I know someone in my department also applied, but I don't know who. I wasn't curious about it until I was invited to interview.

Kamille, did you know curiosity is the sign of an intelligent mind? ;)

Just stay away from her until the interview process is over. Otherwise one or the other of you, will start talking about it and then...then...well, y'know! :laugh:

• Author
curiosity killed the cat

Kamille, did you know curiosity is the sign of an intelligent mind? ;)

Proof again that cats are an intelligent specie :p.

Just stay away from her until the interview process is over. Otherwise one or the other of you, will start talking about it and then...then...well, y'know! :laugh:

Yes, I will stay away and then bring it up.

The interview is about the only thing on my mind right now, so I think I'm also looking for every excuse to talk about it to anyone who would find it interesting.

The interview is about the only thing on my mind right now, so I think I'm also looking for every excuse to talk about it to anyone who would find it interesting.

what is the job you're interviewing for? is there a raise in pay? would you get to do more interesting things and get more responsiblity? do you get an office? will you have your own executive bathroom? do you get a 25 year old ditzy secretary? will you be able to hire and fire people? will you go on a power trip when and if you get the postition?

• Author
what is the job you're interviewing for? is there a raise in pay? would you get to do more interesting things and get more responsiblity? do you get an office? will you have your own executive bathroom? do you get a 25 year old ditzy secretary? will you be able to hire and fire people? will you go on a power trip when and if you get the postition?

Nice Alpha, thanks!

Academic position. It would be wonderful: it's in my field so I would get to continue my work - even though I would have way more responsibility (that teaching thing is challenging!).

What do you mean will I go on a power trip? What was the PhD for if not to socialize me into elitism?

• 3 weeks later...
SadandConfusedWA

I do not see anything wrong with asking her. I mean what is she going to do with this information? Call the future boss and say "Kamille asked me if I applied?". I simply fail to see how just asking would be held against you. Of course, you could be tempted to enter into deeper discussion....and that can be trouble.

• Author
thanx a lot

Hu?

I interviewed already and am waiting to hear from the selection committee. The interview went well, but there are lots of politics surrounding this hiring which make me doubt that I will be selected.

I did find out through the grapevine that my colleague hasn't applied.

So we'll see.