Different Strokes for Different Folks???

Are people really treated equally in the work place? ...or is it different strokes for different folks. Is there a double standard. I've noticed at my place of employment how certain people are treated and others are treated differently. When one person makes a mistake "ohhh I don't know if you can handle this position" but when another person makes a similar mistakes "lets take care of this right away"....so that no one finds out.

But the first person's mistake is exposed and everyone is judging but the second person gives the impression is that "ohh I don't make mistakes. If I do, I know the right people, know how to cover it up."

Welcome to humanity.... LOL

Yes - different strokes for different folks, it depends on individual character, all kinds of discriminating factors (too many to name here) and personal relationships to the source of the criticism...

Obviously a manager would use something like this to get rid of an employee s/he considers a possible threat, and respond totally different if the same mistake was made by a family relative or close friend working at the same place...

Care to tell us more specifics ?

• Author

At my place of employment, a certain secretary was hired and in the beginning of this assignment was obviously overwhelmed. I was a secretary as well. I am not much of the social type because I am WORKING. My immediate boss was a maniac and when the work is overwhelming you can ask for help. Well, I asked for help, and later my supervisor stated that maybe I just can't handle the position. I made a couple of mistakes as well. I feel in my heart that my immediate boss and office manager where working together to try to fire me. However the manager just demoted me to another position, I think to keep me from getting fired. I cried and cried. Later I was just grateful to have a job. However, this other girl gets people to do work for her. Passes the buck. She is real good at butt kissing and find ways to pass of any and all types of her work. What she has going for her, she is very much a social butterfuly. She strokes egos and passifies the supervisors. Well, she is still there. Still passing off the work, and not really pounding as hard as I was. We have an overflow department. She constantly is sending her work there and does some of her work. Me, I was told I could not send my work to overflow. I just can't handle the position. I am still working there. Every day I am reminded of this double standard. I just say, atleast I have a job. But I burn everyday.

Yes. Its a law firm. The mistakes were proofreading errors.

I'm not trying to nitpick... I'm just trying to gain understanding and help provide some perspective.

What kind of proofreading errors? What did she not proofread correctly, and what did you not proofread correctly?

I ask because there's a huge difference between using the wrong word, or an errant period, or a mispelled word... than something like mispelling a client's name, or getting a date wrong on a motion...

• Author

I am trying to be as objective as possible. Some of my errors were grammar errors. Unfortunately, we use the same documents and just changed names. I found I needed work with subject/verb agreements and just being consistent throughout the entire document. I did not make any other mistakes. I am much better now. I was aware of my problem and fixed it. Keep in mind. My immediate supervisor would dictate like crazy, 8-10 tapes a day was normal. So, unfortunately, I did not spend as much time proofing as I should. However, I've seen other mistakes made by others and it was just swept under the rug. My errors were blasted. Soo...I was always nervous and paranoid. The other girl, made errors too. She was a social butterfly, on the internet and phone all the time. I saw her errors but her supervisor was not as crazy as mine. She was informed of the error and she fixed it. That's all. Anyway. I was soon demoted. The other girl never, never, ever, had as much work as I did. I came early and stayed late, worked through lunch, came on weekends. No overtime. Just wanted to keep up with the work flow of my immediate boss. I was down for a while. Its hard looking at that girl everyday. Its a fight to stay positive but at least I still have a job.

Well, my thoughts are this:

If you're doing the same quality of work (including the same mistakes) as the other girl, and yet you're also coming in early and staying late, they may believe you're just not capable of handling the workload.

I'm not sure what you were demoted to, though?

• Author

So what should I assume from the lack of response.

1. That I messed up, and should just be happy I have a job.

2. The other girls just don't make mistakes, I am the only one.

I don't really know what my attitude should be.

SadandConfusedWA

Well, it's true that different people are treated differently under ineffective management. It's just a fact of life and there really isn't much you can do about it.

I have been on both ends of the coin, and in my current workplace I can pretty much get away with murder.

I can only recommend that if you are truly unhappy to consider looking for other work. But under current economy, it's best to stay put and wait things out.

My advice - keep working hard, keep your head down, keep your mouth shut and DO NOT BAD-MOUTH anyone there... and quietly start applying for other jobs from your home computer (don't do this at your current workplace!). The job market is coming back. You do not have to stay in a job that makes you miserable... no matter what the reason is that's making you miserable there. Just don't burn any bridges while you're getting out.

• Author

Everyday I pray, and ask for help to stay strong. Its not easy because the other girl, is very two faced, and back stabber, and she acts like she is the best thing since sliced bread.

• Author

The conclusion is, there are different strokes for different folks but I just have to deal with it. I make lemonaide out of lemons. I still try to have a positive attitude. Because I still have a job. Regardless. I do pray. It helps me deal with the unfairness and anger. Meanwhile, I am back in school and working on those mistakes. Thanks guys for the great advice. I do feel better talking about. I will try not to burn bridges and just keep everything at the minimum. It matters not what you know, but who you know, and how much like to kiss butt.

Everyday I pray, and ask for help to stay strong. Its not easy because the other girl, is very two faced, and back stabber, and she acts like she is the best thing since sliced bread.

Good call Mercedes!! This action trumps everything else. Pray, and wait. And don't jump off the deep end yourself, where the other girl is. Everything will fall into place. And you might just be lucky enough to witness it!!

• Author

I pray and work on my weaknesses. I will work on the areas of weakness, I will be professional at all times. However, I don't kiss butt. I am grateful to have a job. Kissing butt does not work anyway.

How you are treated has a lot to do with overall performance. Lets say an employee who has a history of great attendance, great attitude and a high level of productivity makes an error. It's likely that this error will be easily forgiven due to the fact that that employee is respected and valued by management.

On the other hand, if that same mistake is made by an employee who is always late, calls in sick often, has a hard time completing their work and causes more work for others it will not be forgiven as easily.

Yes. Its a law firm. The mistakes were proofreading errors.

Law firms are notoriously poorly managed compared to other businesses where handling line employees is concerned. Of all the places I've worked, a law firm's culture is the most prone to toadying, back-stabbing and other types of political machinations. Some of the best lawyers are atrociously bad managers of people, exacerbating the problem significantly.

So yes, in your environment, this kind of thing is typical. If it causes you much anxiety, try to find a non legal job.

Law firms are notoriously poorly managed compared to other businesses where handling line employees is concerned. Of all the places I've worked, a law firm's culture is the most prone to toadying, back-stabbing and other types of political machinations. Some of the best lawyers are atrociously bad managers of people, exacerbating the problem significantly.

Sadly, I must admit this is true...

• Author

It feels good that someone acknowledges my pain. It makes me able to endure. You guys gave me good advice. I will do my best to hang on.

I third the above. Law firms are ridiculously stressful and have some questionable employment practices especially if you are not a partner let alone support staff. I am a little confused, did you and the other employee have the same manager or separate? That can/will make all the difference in the world.