My immediate boss cant stand me.

I was hired by her supervisor. She goes out of her way to make my job miserable and has a negative tone when she speaks to me. I have watched her speak to the other girls, but she does not speak to me in the same manner. Unfortunately, I expressed a desire to work more "Project A" type of work, and she goes out of her way to make sure, I get the type of work that no one else likes. I am very grateful to have a job, and I try to have a positive attitude. Sometimes, I want to do more challenging work. However, since my immediate boss knows that I am capable and willing, she gives me boring work like filing, sorting papers, instead of more intellectually stimulating work. I think she is trying to make me quit. I have asked her for more work and she says yes she will but she does it herself. She is not managing the secretaries, she is doing secretarial work. She is the manager no longer a secretary, but she does the work instead of passing it over to me. I feel the mind is a terrible thing to waste. In this recession, I am grateful to have a job. But I am so...bored. Help.

Yeah, been there. It sucks to have your boss hate you and have it out for you. I'd say that you can fix it but I don't know, because I couldn't.

Long story short, boss had it out for me and hoped I would quit. When I didn't and decided to be grateful to have a job (like you) they decided to fire me. Nice huh? I realize I made mistakes but it definately had to do with my relationship with my boss.

Anyway, not saying this could happen to you but..I'd watch your back. Don't push your boss too much. Don't bug her and do whatever she says. Like I said though, watch yourself.

LB is right about not "pushing your boss too much". i don't have any sound advice as I am having the same problem with my new job right now. I often have to hold back on what i say. All i can really do is keep looking for another job i guess...

Don't burn your bridges.

txsilkysmoothe

How long have you been in this job?

How long has your immediate boss been in management?

Is it a busy office, heavy workloads, enough work to go around?

Are you the most recent hire among the other girls?

As a manager, I can't see why anyone wouldn't assign/delegate work if they had someone they felt confident could do the work.