BlueeyedJonesy

I'm going with my H to a business confrence next month. It's 4 days long and includes workshops, seminars, dinners, and charity events. I've been a SAHM for 5 years and I don't have a clue what to wear....does anyone have experience in this area??? I'm nervous as hell!! need some pointers... THANKS!!

laRubiaBonita

usually nice casual clothes for anything but the dinners and the charity events.

for the charity things and dinner things, can you look at the itinerary and possibly get clues from that? or if there are photos from last years events- you could scan those too.

i think you will be safe with some nice blouses/ sweaters/ jackets and slacks and skirts. maybe bring 2-3 nicer pieces that you can mix and match for the dinners and events.

i have been to some of my H's conferences and it is always a broad mix... from completely casual to super dressy- even at the mundane things.

one thing i try to do if i have no clue is to dress similar to my H, if he wears a suit and tie- i dress up more... he wears slacks and a dress shirt (no tie, no jacket) i dress down more.

if nothing else both of you will look like you are going the same places.

Edited by laRubiaBonita

I agree with above. Be neat and smart but yet simple. Don't overdo colours, make-up, hair. Black is an attractive and decent colour for clothes, especially if you mix it well with other colours.

You won't want to hear this....

It all depends on the company culture and the type of business that your H is in. :D No one dress code fits all companies.

Some would expect casual at the seminars and dress at the meals. Some would expect dressy at all events. Some would expect casual at all events.

Ask your husband what type of clothes everyone wears to his office/place of employment. My guess is that this would be what you would wear to the seminars. Unless he is a supervisor/manager that is expected to dress "better," then this will be acceptable.

As for the dinners and charity events, again it depends. What do the employees wear to company dinners? That would probably cover the dining out. The charity events might be more of a suit and tie thing.

If I were you husband, then I would probably tell you to take business dress (ie pantsuits and blouses/skirts/dressy pants such as khaki slacks and not jeans) for the seminars. At worst, you will be a little under dressed (which I highly doubt) or slightly over dressed (but my guess is that many other women will be dressed as you are).

For the dinners, I think a dressy pantsuit or suit and skirt outfit will be okay as long as they are conservative and not flashy. As a newcomer to his "group," I think you do not want to stick out from the crowd...for his benefit.

If these dinners were tuxedos and long dresses affars, then I would think they would tell you.

If you were my wife, then she would be calling some of the women I work with for their input.

Now if he is a Berkeley/Silicon Valley type of computer "geek," then all bets are off. :laugh:

• Author
BlueeyedJonesy

Thanks for all the input!! I'm not so worried about it now...however I will be needing some new shoes...:love:

Thanks for all the input!! I'm not so worried about it now...however I will be needing some new shoes...:love:

There is always a reason for new shoes :D;)

You won't be expected to attend the seminars and workshops, just the dinners and charitable event(s). Bring business casual, formal and semi-formal wear, and then, network with other spouses to find out what they're wearing to these events.

SadandConfusedWA

Uh, what is the real purpose of you going when (unless you are in the same line of work) you won't understand anything during workshps/seminars and will hinder his networking opportunities during dinners and charity events.

Uh, what is the real purpose of you going when (unless you are in the same line of work) you won't understand anything during workshps/seminars and will hinder his networking opportunities during dinners and charity events.

This may well be your opinion - but not your decision. They decided to go together for whatever reason, the company allows it and that's that.

I also took my bigger half to a work-shop once and he is in a completely different field than me, it was ok with my boss at the time (not the one i have now) and my BF found it interesting actually, not to mention the location was much closer to drive to Italy from, for a long weekend :)

SadandConfusedWA
This may well be your opinion - but not your decision. They decided to go together for whatever reason, the company allows it and that's that.

I also took my bigger half to a work-shop once and he is in a completely different field than me, it was ok with my boss at the time (not the one i have now) and my BF found it interesting actually, not to mention the location was much closer to drive to Italy from, for a long weekend :)

Of course it's not my decision :rolleyes:

It is OK to bring your partners where I work too, but about 90% of people just don't. Those that do on regular basis are looked upon unfavourably. It depends on what line of work OP's H is, but there are some lines of work and very specialized seminars that I can gurantee you, no ousiders will understand a word of.

I guess I (and many others) view this as milking the company for a free holiday - which is exactly what this is. I just do not see why not have a partner join AFTER the seminar is finished for a few days of fun.

When it comes to company money - I have to agree. In my individual case we (my former boss and myself) received the 3rd invitation for free - so the company paid nothing for my BF.

Normally we do not attend each other's work events either. However, if your partner was interested in what you do, would you not be happy ? I'm glad my BF knows some physics and I know some about flying !!

;)