What does this Question mean ?

When an interviewer asks : " What will prevent you from getting this job " ?

What exactly is he saying ?

I interpret it to mean " Is there anything preventing you from getting this job such as babysitters , transportation , ect .

What do you think ?

melodymatters

Gawd !!! I think interviewers think it's cool nowadays to say down right stupid things !

I would ask " Can you clarify, do you mean transportation or childcare issues ?' To give THEM an easy out, because the only Real answer to: what would prevent you from getting this job, would be " Stupid interview questions like this one ?"

Otherwise it should be more along the lines of " are there any factors that would PREVENT you from succeeding in this job/doing your best, etc.."

Mary, answer the question with a simple answer: nothing. And leave it at that.

This sounds like one of those "look at me, I'm being tricky when I interview people" type of stupid questions. Sadly some people do disqualify themselves by providing too much answer that would potentially disqualify them.

The only logical reasoning I can see behind asking a loaded question like this is:

a) They could be checking out your personal confidence in your ability to do the job.

b) Looking for any one to fess up to having a potential criminal record.

c) They are just twits who like to think they've come up with some kind of hard question for people to see how they would answer it. Some interviewers still seem to believe that it's valid to throw someone off in their interview with a left field question to see how they will react.

Blackfrost is right. The correct answer is, There is absolutely nothing preventing me from getting this job -- I am the ideal candidate because.... And here you fill in WHY you are the best person for the job.

This is NOT a question asking you about transportation or babysitting issues. It is a leading trick question to see if people answer something negative.

At no point in an interview should a potential employee bring up the idea that there might be some personal issues that would interfere with a job; there are no transportation issues, babysitting problems, or personal problems. They want a worker bee who will be there at the appointment time -- how they get there and any problems that might be happening at home are entirely inconsequential.

"You you deciding to employ someone less qualified, less suitable and less capable but a whole lot cheaper."

Alternatively, wearing a quizzical look on your face (the Spock eyebrow trick is usually good at this point) and merely saying....

"Clarify....?"

I was asked once whether it was going to be a problem for me, fulfilling my obligations with two young children and a husband to feed.....

I asked him - "If I was a 41-year-old male, would you be asking me that question?"

He fumbled a bit and admitted that, no, he wouldn't......

"Right," I said. "We can move on then....."

I got the job.....

They might be asking you this question, because (as often happens) they'l invest time, finances, training and effort into integrating you into the company - and 4 months later, you're expecting a baby.....

This is a perennial problem for employers.

They have their hands tied with regard to sexual discrimination, but at the same time, it's got them over a barrel.

They're in a no-win situation.

It costs employers thousands, every year, to accommodate young, ambitious, successful and talented young ladies - who then mess the system up by becoming mothers.

So maybe that's the 'hidden agenda' behind asking you that question. because coming right out with - "Are you intending to start a family any time soon?" is illegal.

Just an input.....

I was asked once whether it was going to be a problem for me, fulfilling my obligations with two young children and a husband to feed.....

I was asked almost that same question more than once over the years except it was with children and a wife. In those cases it wasn't about discrimination.

Mary3, my best guess is that Blackfrost likely has the best answer.

• Author

This sounds like one of those "look at me, I'm being tricky when I interview people" type of stupid questions. Sadly some people do disqualify themselves by providing too much answer that would potentially disqualify them.

The only logical reasoning I can see behind asking a loaded question like this is:

a) They could be checking out your personal confidence in your ability to do the job.

c) They are just twits who like to think they've come up with some kind of hard question for people to see how they would answer it. Some interviewers still seem to believe that it's valid to throw someone off in their interview with a left field question to see how they will react.

That is how I answered the interviewers question : " There is NOTHING preventing me from getting this job ", as I looked the interviewer right in the eye "

I thought it was some type of intimidation factor but I was not intimidated.

• Author
Blackfrost is right. The correct answer is, There is absolutely nothing preventing me from getting this job -- I am the ideal candidate because.... And here you fill in WHY you are the best person for the job.

This is NOT a question asking you about transportation or babysitting issues. It is a leading trick question to see if people answer something negative.

At no point in an interview should a potential employee bring up the idea that there might be some personal issues that would interfere with a job; there are no transportation issues, babysitting problems, or personal problems. They want a worker bee who will be there at the appointment time -- how they get there and any problems that might be happening at home are entirely inconsequential.

You may correct me if I am wrong but isn't it illegal to say to a female interviewee " Are you going to have kids or do you have a babysitter for these kids ? " . I thought there were questions that border on being illegal...Great advice though thanks everyone :)

• Author
Gawd !!! I think interviewers think it's cool nowadays to say down right stupid things !

I would ask " Can you clarify, do you mean transportation or childcare issues ?' To give THEM an easy out, because the only Real answer to: what would prevent you from getting this job, would be " Stupid interview questions like this one ?"

Otherwise it should be more along the lines of " are there any factors that would PREVENT you from succeeding in this job/doing your best, etc.."

I told my best friend what the interviewer said and she said " The only thing preventing me from getting this job is YOU ? lol...

Guess you have to gauge the room.

With my current employerer, if they threw me that question I'd be comfortable saying, "A smoking pair of double D's, lawl!"

I interpret it to mean " Is there anything preventing you from getting this job such as babysitters , transportation , ect .

yes that is what s/he means - the correct answer is "nothing that i know of at this point in time..."

you may embelish it if you want

I agree with this except for adding to b). It's not just criminal records they're looking for. It's possible that people were fired with cause, who aren't admitting to it.
  • 3 weeks later...
"You you deciding to employ someone less qualified, less suitable and less capable but a whole lot cheaper."

Alternatively, wearing a quizzical look on your face (the Spock eyebrow trick is usually good at this point) and merely saying....

"Clarify....?"

I asked him - "If I was a 41-year-old male, would you be asking me that question?"

He fumbled a bit and admitted that, no, he wouldn't......

"Right," I said. "We can move on then....."

I got the job.....

They might be asking you this question, because (as often happens) they'l invest time, finances, training and effort into integrating you into the company - and 4 months later, you're expecting a baby.....

This is a perennial problem for employers.

They have their hands tied with regard to sexual discrimination, but at the same time, it's got them over a barrel.

They're in a no-win situation.

It costs employers thousands, every year, to accommodate young, ambitious, successful and talented young ladies - who then mess the system up by becoming mothers.

So maybe that's the 'hidden agenda' behind asking you that question. because coming right out with - "Are you intending to start a family any time soon?" is illegal.

Just an input.....

Wow, this is so wrong on so many levels.

Firstly, the question you were asked was illegal and never should have been asked.

Secondly, FMLA rights are in place to protect those that are pregnant while working.

If an employer is coming ANY WHERE close to touching on these two things they should be immediately reported to the EEOC.

The question is asked for the reason another posted said, to have you sell yourself to them about your wonderful qualifications as well as seeing if you disclose any red flags about some "areas of opportunity" that they want to be aware of.

What do you think ?

Yep, just like the other posters said: "Nothing will prevent me from getting this job."

Interviewers like to ask trick questions like that. It's annoying! Another one I get alot is "What do you think you will struggle with most if you are hired for this position?" or "What do you like least about this position?"

Wow, this is so wrong on so many levels.

I completely agree

Firstly, the question you were asked was illegal and never should have been asked.

Mild "syntax error":

The question asked IS illegal.

The question I was asked WASN'T illegal at the time of asking. This took place around 20 years ago, when the question would have been considered tactless, inappropriate and unskillful, insofar as interviewing is concerned.

You're right, he shouldn't have asked it. hence, my response....

But it certainly would break the law now, without a doubt.

The question is asked for the reason another posted said, to have you sell yourself to them about your wonderful qualifications as well as seeing if you disclose any red flags about some "areas of opportunity" that they want to be aware of.

I'm reading an exceptionally good book titled "The Rules of Management" by Richard Templar. Comfortingly, and English book by a British author.

In it, he says that no matter how nice people are when you interview them, you're not interviewing them as a person. You're interviewing them to employ them for their skills.

One good question he advises Managers to ask potential employees, is:

"Ok, so we understand why you need to work. We all need to work. But, tell me why do you think you need to work here?"

I think that's a staggering question to ask.

It's a mind-boggling question to BE asked....

Be prepared to answer that one, even if you never get asked it......

In response to Tara's comments:

If it was after 1964 then it WAS illegal as it runs counter to the Title VII Act which was the foundation of all laws addressing discrimination in regards to race, color, sex, and national origin. The Supreme Court had later rulings that broadened and enhanced the policies but this was the first to address it.

If it was prior to 1964, then you are right, and it was considered fair game.

I'm talking the UK here, not the USA......

The Sexual Discrimination act became Law in 1975 here.

However certain aspects of it, with regard to such questions specifically within employment interviews, were subsequently added.

It's unclear when this would have been illegal, but as far as I can ascertain, legislation regarding employment was decreed in 1990.

But this was in 1988.....

Edited by TaraMaiden

Really? I am surprised that the Act of 1975 wouldn't have covered employment right from the get go. From my knowledge and research both the US and Canadian Acts both protect against employment discrimination from their conception.

I will have to look that up.

I'll have to ask my Legal-Eagle partner to also clarify. I'm happy to be proven wrong...

But I can't turn the clock back now..... :D

What do you think ?

could be a psychometric test....where people respond to it in different ways..there is no right/wrong to it...

but if you answer it, there will be a follow up question(trap)...answer it carefully with out any contradiction to the initial answer

but for a babysitter, transportation job...i don't know

txsilkysmoothe

I hire personnel and you can't ask questions that have to do with marital status, children, childcare arrangements, potential pregnancy, anything that would reveal their age, etc.

The lame question is interview techniques 101, and is intended to throw the interviewee off, test their confidence, or get them to list their weaknesses.

What do you think ?

I own my own business and am successful. I simply don't play this crap when I interview a prospective employee. I do not buy into the whole guide line of structured corporate mentallity, it is almost total BS if you ask me. To me, too many HR people have too much time on their hands and need to justify their jobs by coming up with this crap.

When faced with this situation, next time BS them and say "nothing will prevent me from getting this job", this is what they want to hear. Tune them into your total BS department. This is what they are doing to you!Play it and deal with what comes down the road.

Another note. When asked a question, be direct in your answer and no matter how long of a silent pause your prospective employer may have after your answer, sit there in silence. Do not question yourself, do not ramble, PERIOD. This is a stupid corporate mental game. They are waiting for you to screw yourself up. GET IT YET?! If they want you to elaborate on ANYTHING, they will ask you to do so. Then again be direct and don't add to it.

Follow these guidelines and you will stand a better chance.

Good luck to you.

• Author
I own my own business and am successful. I simply don't play this crap when I interview a prospective employee. I do not buy into the whole guide line of structured corporate mentallity, it is almost total BS if you ask me. To me, too many HR people have too much time on their hands and need to justify their jobs by coming up with this crap.

When faced with this situation, next time BS them and say "nothing will prevent me from getting this job", this is what they want to hear. Tune them into your total BS department. This is what they are doing to you!Play it and deal with what comes down the road.

Another note. When asked a question, be direct in your answer and no matter how long of a silent pause your prospective employer may have after your answer, sit there in silence. Do not question yourself, do not ramble, PERIOD. This is a stupid corporate mental game. They are waiting for you to screw yourself up. GET IT YET?! If they want you to elaborate on ANYTHING, they will ask you to do so. Then again be direct and don't add to it.

Follow these guidelines and you will stand a better chance.

Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for your uplifting spirited reply. Its tough out there right now but hopefully things will improve :)