Can attraction be a distraction at work?

A male friend and I are in the pre-relationship stage. We don't work in the same department but we do see each other throughout the day. Sometimes he seems to be keeping his distance but then he comes back around the next day and is fine. Today he had a big presentation at work and he was acting this way. I asked him what was wrong and he said I can't be around you right now and he was clearly very nervous.

I am sure that we both feel attraction and although we haven't gone out officially, we have talked and hopefully that is the next step. He has a lot of issues he's been dealing with lately, but I don't doubt his attraction.

My question is, although I'm sexually attracted to him, I can still go about my day and do my job. He can't seem to do the same. I'm not naive, but can the strength of a man's attraction really be that much of a distraction that he can't do his job effectively if he's too close?

YOU ASK: "I'm not naive, but can the strength of a man's attraction really be that much of a distraction that he can't do his job effectively if he's too close?"

It is possible for a small percentage of men, especially those who are quite smitten. This won't last forever though. Either he'll get his fill and get used to you being around or he'll get fired if superiors notice this is adversely affecting his job performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course it can be a distraction. Unless your thinking about the job at hand, your'e distracted. For whatever reason.

And true, you do get used to the hotties at the office. My first week I couldn't think straight, now, it's just another day.

The real problem with office dating is when it quits working out.

I dated girls in accounting, then we didn't hit it off, now I didn't want to go into acct dept anymore. That affects my job, I needed to go back to acct and didn't want to see "HER" there. I was so glad when she finally quit. Talk about akward......

And most offices dont allow inner office dating for those obvious reasons in case you didn't notice.....