Im real tired of working.Im doing lots of extra work and not given a reasonable time to do it in.

Even when I tried to pick up my speed,Im still slow at getting 108 salads done.Im only given 5 hours to do my work and it takes 2 hours to do 25 salads or maybe an hour in a half.So when I should be done at 12 o'clock Im not cause I got like another 40 salads to do.And the trouble is my boss keeps increasing my work then has a p*ssy fit if Im not done my salads.First he started me with 10 each then 15 each then 20 each and now 25 each.And there is 5 different salads I have to make so Im very stressed and strained of all this work.

Patty

You're lucky to have a job. There are millions of people out of work right now and many who don't have the money to buy dinner tonight.

I do empathize with your difficulties at work. If you find this job is incompatible with your abilities or your desire to cope with management demands, you need to find work elsewhere. Just understand that for every job, there are at least 100 people looking.

My advice is to do the very best you can at the fastest pace you are comfortable with and not to whine about it. If you don't like the job....quite...because somebody else would absolutely love to be able to work and it would take McDonad's all over ten seconds to find a replacement.

Hopefully, within a few months you would find a job that was more to your liking and one you would not need to complain about so much. I'm not criticizing you for that...your complaints are valid. But if I posted here everytime something didn't go my way during the day, you would have all you could read in a week.

• Author

Thanks for your opinion Tony.I guess its easy to forget how lucky we are sometimes.

Patty

Patty,

Maybe the method you are using to make the salads just isn't fast enough. Years ago I worked at Wendy's, and I also had to make salads in the morning. I used an assembly line method--i.e. set out ten salad dishes at a time, put lettuce in all at once, cheese in all at once, etc. Then you can finish ten or so at a time and it goes much faster than doing them one at a time. (Obviously do the same types of salads all at once.)

Or is this what you are already doing?

• Author

I have been making one salad at a time so maybe thats the problem.I think I'll try your method like 10 at a time.Thanks for your idea! It sounds like a solution!

Patty

Just A Girl2

I'll admit I've never worked in a fast-food restaurant, but I would have assumed that when a person has to make so many "anything" (like salads), that they would have been trained from the start on how to do accomplish the task at hand the most efficiently and quickly.....just like how Clia mentioned: in an assembly-line manner.

What kind of training did you receive when you started working there, on how to perform high-volume tasks such as making tons of salads? How do other people there do it? One at a time like you're doing?

jessicakicksbut

Years ago when I worked at Burger King, we used to do 6-10 salads at a time; Lettuce first, then cheese, tomato's, cucumbers, etc. That was just for actually making the salad's, now prepping the salad's we used to cut the lettuce first, then slice the tomato's (which can be very dangerous), etc. Start off with maybe making 4 at a time, and once you get used to it, start increasing you volume.

• Author
What kind of training did you receive when you started working there, on how to perform high-volume tasks such as making tons of salads? How do other people there do it? One at a time like you're doing?

Well when I first started working there,my old boss trained me.And she did show me how to do it.Salads back then were much different then now.But every once in awhile theres a new salad and it has to be done a certain way.As new menus change from time to time.I get so use to making the old way and every time theres a change it slows me down a bit until I get use to it.Sometimes Im learning so many new tasks that it gets confusing and dont know which way to start the salads.But having an assemly line sounds alot easier then what Im doing now.Im going to try it tommorow instead of one at a time.Maybe it will speed me up.Most people there that do the salads do it in a row at a time like an assemly line.

Patty

• Author

Thanks everyone for the ideas and opinions.Now I will go into work and be able to think clearly of how to do my job.Coming here was a big help.My head feels uncluttered now and can think more clearly.

Patty

not being flip here, but McDonald's sells that many salads in a 5 hour period? Most people who go into a burger joint do so for the burgers, not the greens!

the assembly line idea is a good one when you're trying to produce food in volume, and I'm sure once you get the hang of it Patty, you'll be cranking out salads pretty quickly.

• Author

When lunch time comes the salads start going fast.Sometimes the customers even will order one for breakfast.

Now theres a new menu called "The McGriddle".Its syrup already inside the pancake.

Patty

INSIDE the pancake? sounds awfully sugary! Though, Mickey D's does offer a pretty good scrambled egg breakfast for the price. I just never think of them as an alternative place to go for salads, but it makes sense when you've got all those parents going there because it's their kids' top choice of restaurant.

• Author

I tried it on one of my breaks last week.It doesnt really have a sugary taste.I like their pancakes better that you can add your own syrup to it.The McGriddle has more of a cheesy taste.

Patty