I have a huge problem. I recently got a job working on a part time as needed basis. Basically, I get called and asked if and when I can work, and I say yes or no. Most of the time I give my supervisor my schedule of when I can and cannot work. Sometimes, I do this verbally or over email. However, she ends up calling me when I am unable to work. When this started happening, I advised her I was unable to work. Then she started calling me on a regular basis, I got so busy with my own personal life, school, volunteering, another PT job, and home. I did not call her back ASAP, or sometimes I simply forgot. Then she left sort msg on my phone saying that I need to do this and that, and that I have to consider quitting because I was not taking my job serious. something like.." .... or you need to quit..." and most of this was because I was making her look bad among other co-workers, etc. (like she said in the msg) After I got this message, I was really upset and angry, but I quickly got over it. Then I went in for a talk to see If i really wanted to work or not, we concluded that i would continue working. However, since then, I have lost total interest in the job, I have not been calling her back, I do email her, and I basically do not want to work for her or the place anymore. The problem is, she is my sister's friend, and she does invite me on certain occasions, and I do not want to ruin their relationship, and I believe I got the job because I am her friends sister. And I am not going to give her a 2 weeks notice either, becuase I finished with Finals and have decided to go home for the summer, and I told her that I did email her my 2 weeks notice to her a week ago, but she did not receive it. (I got it back undelivered) Now, she wants my letter of resignation, and she asked me to call her. I do not know what to do? Help!!

rather be jobless, at this time.

thanks.

Send in whatever papers you need, resign effective immediately since you must go home, and express great appreciation for the opportunities of working for the company part time. Give praise to your coworkers and to your supervisors. Thank them for their kind understanding and express regret that they did not receive you email of a week or two ago giving your two week notice.

Take the high road and leave a good taste in their mouth. If you are nice about all this, there is no way anybody can be angry at you or hold anything against you. Do this as soon as possible.

Of course, you can't make everybody happy. If somebody at the company gets upset, that's their problem. Also thank the friend who made the connection that got you the job and express great appreciation for that favor. If this friend's sister gets all bent out of shape, I'm sure she'll get over it. But if you're nice and appreciative of their understanding, I just don't see how that could happen...unless they are just plain crazy.

• 4 months later...

Don't you just hate it when someone (boss) tell you to post your availability on whatever form of paper,etc. But, then go around & either schedule you for a day which you can't work... or call you to see if you can come into work, after you specifically told whomever that you have plans??

AHHHH, this has happened to me so many times.. I feel like making a t-shirt which says:: CAN YOU NOT READ!!!!

I feel like making a t-shirt which says:: CAN YOU NOT READ!!!!

? Wouldn't people have to be able to read to read the t-shirt? ;)

Wouldn't people have to be able to read to read the t-shirt?

Of, course they would need to.. they would most likely ask me: 'hey why do you have BIG words written on your shirt?' And, I would have to try to stay calm.. b4 answering with -------------. (fill in the blanks) :bunny::bunny:

It's like the bumper sticker that says

"If you can read this, thank your teacher."

Isn't that really geared at the people who CAN'T read it??

Well I took my Mum's advice!

Maybe life in England is different to America, I really don't think the people I know let themselves get so upset about things which drag you down such as this

I worked 'casually' for the British postal system Royal Mail....this is the best place I ever worked for. I worked up to permanent and loved every minute of it. If you could work-great and If you couldn't-no worries we'll call you another day.

I left Royal Mail after 3 years to chase a dream in Travel-I worked for an Airline at John Lennon Airport and quit because I hated it. I then continued with my dream as a travel agent with Bitish Airways and yes you guessed it -I quit! I was totally unhappy with my decisions to join these places due to one thing and another. I am a highly intelligent young lady, and may be described as being a 'quitter' ven by myself.....But then I took my Mum's advice......

"If it was a man who was making you feel sick to the stomach, what would you do?"

"Chuck him" was my stern reply

Enough said.

Life is too short to get upset over jobs. You work to live, you dont live to work

(PS- I am now a Dental Technician at the largest hospital in England and I have really found my feet, Im positive that when something doesnt feel right, more often than not it isnt)

Chelsea, aged 22, UK