Work Conflict..bad afternoon

I have an assistant type position and it was a stressful afternoon on friday b/c i was given a packet that had just been completed at about 3:30 and had to print, insert tabs, and bind about 16 of them..and they were big packets...everything seemed to be going wrong such as the printers jamming and also making labels for the tabs was a hassle..the printer near me wasn't working and when i asked a coworker a favor on the opposite end(which i never do) to print the labels they came out wrong...so it definitely was a time contraint b/c i needed to fedex those packets to my boss that afternoon

meanwhile my boss is out either working from home or maybe on business..she calls reception to look for me(i was in the back trying to bind the packets) just to ask if i was also going to e-mail her certain things before i leave so i simply said yes, i was just doing your packets right now and she said i understand so i just said ok..i probably sounded a little stressed on the phone but i don't think i was rude right?

also some of the papers in the packet weren't on color but just regular printer paper(due to our lovely printers in the office, something always seems to go wrong) and i just felt there wasn't enough time to reprint so i kept it in there..i think it was a few pages but not sure

then i e-mailed by boss saying the printer is working for the labels for the tabs..would you like to me write on them myself regarding the sections or leave them blank? she calls me a few minutes later and in my opinion talks down to me----she said in a very slow voice you don't need a printer for tabs...and usually i am very nice, always polite, sweet..and this time i was direct i think and frank...i said no i know for the tabs themselves you insert them manually, im talking about the clear labels that go on the tabs...and it appears to me she had no idea what i was talking about and just told me to speak to this person or that person..meanwhile it was 5pm and i knew they already left..and i said if i still can't ge the labels on it, what do i do? so she said just leave them blank so i said ok

i left about 45 minutes later than i should and left the labels on the tabs blank..i also told the fedex guy to leave even though he was willing to wait b/c i did not want to rush and walked the packets over myself. Before I left i e-mailed her the things she needed and if she looks at the time she will know i left late

But for some reason i am anxious like i did something wrong and i am going to get in trouble or fired by her on monday b/c there werent label on the tabs or something or just me being direct--but i don't think i said anything wrong did i? i think i was just very direct and rushed this time so i wasn't my usual super sweet self and i also felt like she spoke down to me when she said you don't need a printer for tabs in this slow voice like am i slow or something but still--i don't want to lose my job...i did get the packets out and did e-mail her the things she wanted and left later than expected on a friday

You did fine. Your boss was probably under a lot of pressure herself, and anxious to get that packet. (I hope she was well aware that you received it late in the day!) She was just trying to make sure you could get it ready in time.

And you delivered. You came through in spite of unexpected obstacles, even stayed late to do it. "A" for effort!

One thing to keep in mind for the next time... Bosses love employees who SOLVE problems for them, not hand them problems. It's OK to ask for their guidance, but always always always have your own solution in mind and propose it to them - i.e., present the problem to them, and then offer your solution and ask if that's OK.

And it's always good to stay calm, no matter what. Easier said than done (I'm still grappling with this myself). I think this ability is mostly learned through time and experience. It's an extremely valuable skill in the workplace, and well worth the effort to work on it.

• Author

thanks

i really hope i dont get in trouble b/c it was rushed and i feel like something might be wrong with some of the packets like maybe the tabs were inserted in the wrong place..i double checked and actually had to go back and fix where some of the tabs were

i dont think i gave her attitude..i think i was just serious, maybe sounded a little stressed and rushed as well..i'm not even sure she will be in tomorrow so i am hoping it will blow over and sort of forgotten about.

i dont like this job but i also dont want to be fired from it either lol

Honestly? Sounds like a typical work day for me... :)

Your boss was stressed, you were too. I'm sure she knows that, just like you do. No harm, no foul. ;)