harassment at work.

my manager pulled me aside last week and asked me if i had a webcam. I reported it to my district manager, and now my manager has taken my morning shift away, and i am working one day less this week. Should i take this to my lawyer? Also, another girl is talking to a lawyer about the same guy, because he keeps sending her obscene text messages.

curiousnycgirl

You are not at the lawyer stage yet, plus no lawyer would take it - it's too small. Go back to the district manager and tell him you're being punished for having spoken up about your manager.

Encourage your friend to do the same. Do NOT speak to the district manager on her behalf, only on your own.

If that doesn't work, is there an HR department?

Lol you may be sending the wrong signals. With a name like 'slutacious' I could see that being the case.

Anyway, curiousnycgirl is spot on.

• Author

I dont have a webcam. And i have spoken with our district manager a few times about our store managers behavior, as have several other girls. I am only 22, and working part time at sonic while going to school. Last week, i had a 16 year old car hop complaining to me about his always complementing her on how nicely she fills out her work shirts. I dont really know what else to do, because our home office just tells us they did a background check and nothing came up on him.

I dont have a webcam. And i have spoken with our district manager a few times about our store managers behavior, as have several other girls. I am only 22, and working part time at sonic while going to school. Last week, i had a 16 year old car hop complaining to me about his always complementing her on how nicely she fills out her work shirts. I dont really know what else to do, because our home office just tells us they did a background check and nothing came up on him.

Chances are if this guy is older and hitting on young girls that have no other choice to be there because it's their job, he's probably a grade A loser. Especially if he's a 'Manager' at Sonic. He knows you can't just stop coming there to avoid him, as it would cost you your employment- so he views you and other girls as easy targets to persue.

Continue to take it to your district manager. If you don't see the results you want ASAP, then go above the district manager. As a guy if I were working there and witnissed all this, I'd be giving the dude a piece of my mind and then some.

No one will take issue with this but you, you have to force your rights, that's just how it works. Be relentless.

curiousnycgirl

If the home office tells you that again, your answer should be ok clearly either he didn't do it in his past, or it wasn't reported, however it is being done now and IS being reported.

It is the company's obligation to ensure you are not harrassed in your workplace - I think if you say something like the above, they will get the message.

Good luck

my manager pulled me aside last week and asked me if i had a webcam. I reported it to my district manager, and now my manager has taken my morning shift away, and i am working one day less this week. Should i take this to my lawyer? Also, another girl is talking to a lawyer about the same guy, because he keeps sending her obscene text messages.

You need to look into the laws concerning Constructive Dismissal in your state. It is the circumstance in which your employer makes it impossible for you to do your job under professional circumstances and you either quit or are let go.

Example: your boss wishes to derive some sexual power by asking you inappropriate questions. You report it and the behavior is not stopped and instead, escalates resulting in you quitting or reacting in a manner that can appear to be grounds for your dismissal.

You need to look into the laws concerning Constructive Dismissal in your state. It is the circumstance in which your employer makes it impossible for you to do your job under professional circumstances and you either quit or are let go.

Example: your boss wishes to derive some sexual power by asking you inappropriate questions. You report it and the behavior is not stopped and instead, escalates resulting in you quitting or reacting in a manner that can appear to be grounds for your dismissal.

Wouldn't this lead to her losing her income? I don't think she should lose anything over this. She has a right to not have sexual advances on her. Constructive Dismissal may be an option, but the end result is the same as if she were fired or quit- the loss of her income. Unless she gets some kind of settlement from it.

Wouldn't this lead to her losing her income? I don't think she should lose anything over this. She has a right to not have sexual advances on her. Constructive Dismissal may be an option, but the end result is the same as if she were fired or quit- the loss of her income. Unless she gets some kind of settlement from it.

That is what Constructive Dismissal is for. To prove a loss of earnings at the hands of your employer. The manager may not own the company, but whoever does can be held liable for not preventing the OP's harassment by one of their employees. If she quit because the manger was not stopped or if she were fired as a result of reporting management's behavior, Constructive Dismissal is the claim she would make.

Most background checks are weak. Working for a Sonic is very basic and their checks do not cross state lines.

The filling out the work shirt can be construed as an hostile work environment.

Also this seems like sexual harassment but does not seem enough to be a lawsuit, in my opinion a advance. Now your coworker getting texts borders on policy violations where the manager / staff relationship can be compromised.

Agreed with another poster on following up. I would also fill paper work just in case the employer decides to terminate you or reduce your shifts in retaliation.