Interview tomorrow and my last boss is MIA !

melodymatters

I am not at all sure how to handle this ! For over two years I managed EVERY aspect of an absentee owners rental properties. Because he was so flakey and hard to get ahold of, I basically ran 65 units in three different locations as if they were my own. I did way more than your typical property manager.

Now tomorrow I have an interview with a corp to manage a portfolio of their rental properties and my last boss as dissapeared off the face of the earth !!!!

I had tried to e-mail him a few times with no success, but now that I will likely need a reference I went all out, and both his e-mails are cancelled as well as the two phone numbers I had for him !!

So, I busted my butt and did a great job for this guy, and now I have no way to prove my accomplishments !

There is no one else to contact as he was a single owner who formed an LLC. "I" was the office !

Any suggestions on how to handle this ????

I don't see why that is such a big deal. I don't think anyone expects former employees to keep tabs on all their previous employers. If he can't be found, then so what? Just put his name on your reference sheet and write 'Current phone and email information unknown'.

If you act nervous about this or make a big deal out of it, the person interviewing you will think something bad went on between you and your former boss. And even it that's true, they don't need to know that. Just put your accomplishments on your resume and don't utter anything negative about your former boss.

• Author
melodymatters

I'm sure you're right. I have always owned my own businesses and was selling real estate before the 'crash" so this was my first " real job" in a long time and tomorrow will be my first interview in just as long !

I guess I assumed that if it were me, I would want to talk to my last employer to see what they thought of my abilities and to back up that I wasn't just making up a fake job !

Sweetcheripie

How about getting a couple of letters from the clients. You were their contact and they can say how you went above and beyond. Or just get their ok to give their phone numbers since you are crunched for time.

Good luck tomorrow - I'm sure you will wow them without any references needed!

• Author
melodymatters

Thanks Cherie ! I did consider that, as I do stay in touch with a couple of my former tenants ( They can't get in touch with him either and he hasn't picked up their rent in over 2 months !)

Also, I worked closely with daytona beach code enforcement when we had serious structural probs with one of the buildings. I know Steve A would vouch that I was one of the best property managers he ever dealt with in his job, Maybe I'll call him too, give him a heads up and use him as a reference too ?

Sweetcheripie

That sounds like a GREAT idea! That way you will have super references without having to mention the flakey guy. :D