should I leave my job

At the moment I am at a very low point of my life. The main point is that I hate my job. I could possibly continue if the people where I work were nice but they are not. Recently, I have had two of my fellow coleagues making lies up about me by claiming I am not working hard enough to my boss, which is untrue.

All this has made me very stressed and I feel like crying whenever I think of work.

Consequently, I am thinking of leaving. I know the job situation is poor at the moment but my job is making me ill.

So what does people think I should do?

Has anybody else been in this situation before? and what did you do?

thanks for any responses

Yeah, I spent 5 years in a job that just about killed me. I was looking for another job but in this market it wasn't easy. Nobody wanted to hire me because I already had a job; so it looked like I was a problem employee that would leave them when hired.

It got to the point where I pretty much did nothing at the hated job. One day I seriously did nothing but play games on my cell phone and surf the internet. 8 hours a day seemed like 18 and I hated every minute of it. But it was a paycheck in a bad economy so I just rode it out while looking for a new job.

Finally they downsized me. I probably should have been upset since they never gave me anything to do to begin with and then told me my position wasn't needed anymore. But in all honesty it was a huge relief. Now I can look for a job and not be judged for looking to leave a paying job. With so many people unemployed these days, I'm just part of a growing majority.

And you know what? Even though I'm having trouble finding a job and am living on unemployment, I'm so much happier to be out of that soul sucking job. It took over a month to get my self esteem and confidence back. I'm starting to see what a dark period in my life that job was.

So I guess I'd say start looking for a job but hang onto the bad one as long as possible if only for the paycheck. And don't willingly leave the bad job unless you can afford to be unemployed for a year or more.