New Job...woooo Hooooo!

If any of you have read my old threads you know that I have been trying to find a new job near Detroit so I can be closer to my friends....and my boyfriend at the time. I broke up with my LDBF a month ago and pretty much gave up on the idea of moving down there for the time being.

Last week I got a call from one of the places that I applied to a couple of months ago and I went for an interview on friday. They hired me right on the spot! So now I will be making better $$$ and be right near all of my friends...which means that I will be a lot happier than I am currently.

I am currently working two jobs, one at a radio station and one at a hotel. My problem is that I have never had to quit a job where I got along so well with everyone. I know it is standard to write a letter of resignation and to sit down and talk with my boss about it, but my bosses at both jobs have been the best that I have ever had and I want them to know that! Is there anything that I can do to show them that besides in a letter or in a conversation with them???

So now I have to quit two jobs and make moving arrangements by April 6th! I feel the stress coming! GRRRRR! I really need this move though, for both financial reasons and just to be happier in general! :bunny:

You know, I think that writing a letter of resignation in which you tell your boss how much you've enjoyed working there and how you respect him/her, etc. would be very appropriate. And you'd be surprised at how meaningful that would be to them. Moreover, having it on paper like that establishes a concrete link of goodwill between you and your soon-to-be former employers. It would be a good opening to ask them to write letters of recommendation for you, which you can keep on file.

Business is business! If somebody's doing a $15 an hour job for around minimum wage and doing it well, hell yes your bosses are going to be wonderful to you. But just screw up and see how that would change real fast. You did a great job for them and owe them nothing more than a nice smile as you walk out the door.

I agree with everything midori said. Don't do anything for them beyond nice letters of resignation in which you express your feelings. I would take the radio station boss out to lunch to personally thank him/her but don't overdo it. In the broadcasting business, contacts are everything.

Don't get too emotional about this job change. Life is all about change. But I do agree that you should leave nice bosses with pleasant thoughts.

Good luck in your new job!!!

Congrats on your new job!! Can I ask what you do at the radio station? I work at one too!

• Author

AllyBoo,

At this particular station I "DJ" a pre-recorded Saturday morning bit...nothing too exciting, but definately good experience. When I was in Kalamazoo, MI I worked at a college radio station as a DJ, Ast. Program Director, and Office Manager...all at the same time!

What do you do at your station?

I'm a DJ as well. Started out as 12, was a program/music director at around 15, then started here part time, and with the exception of 2 years, been here ever since. :D

• Author

How on earth did you start working at a station at the age of 12? Are you a prodigy or something? Any ideas of where the $$$ is at in radio????...I cannot seem to find it!

I wouldn't mind being a female version of Howard Stern!...JUST KIDDING!!!! :bunny:

The money in radio is in sales. LOL Unless you wanna job hop all around the country hoping you're hitting the big one.

I always knew I wanted to be in radio. I called all the radio stations in town and they said I'd have to be 18 or 21. Well, I wasn't gonna wait that long, so I prayed really really hard. The next day, I met a lady who had a Christian Kid's show and needed someone to be a part of it. I took her up on the offer, learned everything I could, and 3 years later was working at the Number One Station in Louisiana. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

So this new job isn't the best, but it's better than the last! They are working me 9 nights straight...GRRRRRR! I need a damn night off. Also, the woman who hired me just got fired, along with half of the staff. Not sure why exactly, but I have a feeling that this is not the most stable working environment! Just venting here I suppose! :D