gutsy move or self destruction?

beautiful_stranger

Hi all

Just a question I have been contemplating. I have a reasonably good job, well paid and stable. Now, I have always been passionate about another field. But if I was to pursue that field, I would have to go back to university for another four years, not to mention 60 hour per week work hours after graduation.

This creates several concerns:

1) I am now 25, if I pursue this, by the time i graduate I will be 30. Starting a career at 30 is probably not very desirable for most people. Most people would have started building their own families by that age which leads to my second point.

2) The courses are offered only in rural areas, it would be difficult to find a boyfriend. :o So if by the time i am 30 and still single, it would probably be harder to find someone than I am able to now.

3) Thirdly, if i do eventually start a family at around 30, juggling it with work would be difficult because of the fact that its a 70 hour work week.

Having said all this, I have been passionate about this field since a young age, I didn't choose it at 18 due to stupid decisions I made as an adolescent.

Some people would tell me to pursue my dreams, but in a real world is it always feasible to pursue your dreams? What does everyone think??

Any input would be much appreciated!! :love:

Sounds like you scheduled your entire life in a very rigid way.... Why is being 30 such a problem to you ? Follow your dreams because if you get a chance to do so - it may well be the only one.

IMO the only thing you should really worry about - is sitting on the rocking-chair at 60 and regretting the things you didn't do.....

It is not harder to find a partner or start a career after 30 - I did both as I spent my 20s traveling the world and then went to study.

;)

1) I am now 25, if I pursue this, by the time i graduate I will be 30. Starting a career at 30 is probably not very desirable for most people. Most people would have started building their own families by that age which leads to my second point.
You're going to be 30 in five years anyway, whether you take the course or not. Don't let the age/career starting point stop you.
2) The courses are offered only in rural areas, it would be difficult to find a boyfriend. :o So if by the time i am 30 and still single, it would probably be harder to find someone than I am able to now.
That's the last thing you need to be worried about. Single, attractive people are everywhere.
3) Thirdly, if i do eventually start a family at around 30, juggling it with work would be difficult because of the fact that its a 70 hour work week.
That's a bit more difficult to manage. The myth of "having it all" - that is, a successful career, a cluster of healthy and well-adjusted kids, the white picket fence and the doting spouse - is exactly that, a myth.

Some people would tell me to pursue my dreams, but in a real world is it always feasible to pursue your dreams? What does everyone think??
The real world doesn't always allow the whole "pursuit of dreams" thing, so I'm very pleased to see that you've already got that bit figured out.

If I were in your shoes - pumps? no, they pinch (apparently) - I'd take the program and let the future sort itself out in its own time.

My hero is Julia Child. She didn't even START cooking school until she was almost 40.

Her success and all she brought to us occurred in her 50s and 60s!

Daggone - when did they stop keeping hunky, country boys out of rural areas????

:laugh::lmao:

Well i's heard they all been moved to Pah-ree to work on them runways.

Seriously Beautiful, you raise some good questions and it is good that you are thinking this through thoughtfully. However, there is so much we do not know and control about our lives. I say, if this is your dream career, go for it. Maybe one those hunky, country boys will come back from Paris and sweep your heart away.

You are still very young. I would follow your passion and forgo love of money. you'll never ever regret it, trust me. You will regret not following your heart. Always.