Why do you want this job?

Why do you want this job when you have your own business?

I am interviewing, and having a hard time answering this question. I own my own small artist business, but it's not enough to get by on, more of a hobby that makes cash. I am willing to take any job out there, but find myself always getting asked this question. You own your own business, why do you want this job? I need money, but my answers always end up so generic...this is a great company, I want to take my career in a new direction....etc. Any ideas on a good way to answer this question?

I'd say just what you told us here:

It is a hobby of mine. I can choose to do it when I want and it relaxes me but I want it to stay that way - simply a hobby. The revenue generated just allows me to have it pay for itself and enjoy it in my spare time.

-- I would use something other than "it" but I don't know what the business is.

And of course in your own words but you get the idea. Hope that helps!!

Just tell them the truth: your business is more of a hobby that makes cash rather than a full-time job, and although you enjoy it you still want to branch out in a different direction career-wise. Then explain why you have a particular interest in whatever job they're offering.

I would make it clear in the cover letter why you're applying for the job, and then you want to reiterate that in the interview. But if you make it really clear in the cover letter, you might not even have to deal with it in the interview, so make it explicit in the letter and see what happens.

You really have to be thinking of how you handle this and how your responses can be perceived. Yeah, you could say "It's just a hobby" but that might not satisfy the skepticism. If it's on your resume, an employer is going to assume that it's going to occupy a significant portion of your time and they will want to know why you haven't taken it further. They might think you could have carried it further but that you're not entrepreneurial or energetic enough, which won't make you look all that great. Or, they might also be worried that you'll just drop them and decide to focus on your "hobby" later, which won't help you either. You have to really think this one through, and be honest about it.

If you're approaching an employer for a position, you have to convince them that you're not just dicking around. I would try to make it clear that you see the job -- whatever it might be -- as an important and essential step in your long-term goal. Moreover, you have to explain to them in convincing fashion exactly how you are going to use that job for career development. Just saying it's important for my future isn't going to cut it -- not with a good employer that does its due diligence in hiring, it won't.

I'd be inclined to say something along the lines of a small business not offering the same kind of opportunities to work on larger projects with other talented individuals. That at this point you're looking for a more dynamic environment where you can get involved in that kind of team work.

"I'm interested in seeing how my gifts and talents can benefit your business, because I'm thinking (insert proposal how your artistic skill can be applied to X company)"

or,

"I love what I do, but I want to keep loving it, not end up resenting the fact that I *have to* do this because I need the money. A job outside this area will help me keep my perspective on things, and I believe my gifts can benefit your company."

butcher's hook

the best way to answer that is by telling them exactly what you told us:

You like the idea that you are working in a team environment and building relationships while reaping the benefits of growth.

You crave the stablilty that a stable job offers both financially and emotionally, running a business can get too stressful.

As a passion, your current business doesn't carry itself to the extend you would like for it and you are increasingly finding that you are associating this passion to dislike. It is a much better activity to sustain on a part time basis while focusing on a bigger project in a corporate environment.

• Author

Thank you everyone for the advice, it really, really helped me this time! I do love my photography business, but after reading all your tips, I realize I want to keep my business small, because I want to control all aspects of it. Photography is my passion, therefore I want to keep it mine, however, I do want to work with other people and colaborate on other things...so I suppose I don't just want another job for money...although that helps too!