Received mysterious scathing email from client...

doublescorpio

I am a freelancer in the film editing profession and I often work in the clients' place of work. This is out of convenience to them and necessity. Sometimes due to the technical nature of my job, it is difficult to get my head around their equipment set up as many people have different set ups, and I should become familliar with their set up but I should *not* be expected to be any kind of engineer.

Last week I created a deliverable which upon being tested appeared to be great. Then on an early morning over the weekend I received a scathing email from the big boss to myself and an employee of the company, stating that he has heard to many excuses about a certain technical problem, he doesn't want excuses, wants results etc... the problem has been been happening all the time lately, totally unprofessional and disturbing etc etc

I had no idea what he was talking about. This was the first deliverable I ever created for them and I tested it with a witness in the room (another employee) who also saw it was working. I am a freelancer of the company, not an employee so I don't hear about everything going on in there. I didn't know there was a history of a problem or that people were supposedly making excuses? Shortly after the email arrived I was phoned by the employee of the company as it was also addressed to him, and he was asking me what the heck it was about??? He played dumb and said he didnt know etc but I have a feeling he somehow knows *something* that I don't.

Anyway I wrote the big guy back an email stating that if I knew the history of what the problem may be, I may be able to help, also I told him I had followed a certain procedure and if there was another I should follow I will do so. I have not heard from him since.

The other employee had emailed me this morning and asked me if I could do certain tasks that were a part of his salary job if I was coming in today (I was not, and I told him that I would be in tomorrow to help if it was still needed). He didn't reply to me.

I am really wondering if boundaries are being crossed as far as me being a freelancer who is expected to take on employee duties? I wouldn't mind negotiating this but as of now I do not (and did not) know that they were expecting certain engineering services to be part of my territory? Typically people who are experts in those trades are brought in to deal with technical issues. They are experienced enough of a client to know these things I thought.

I found out that the technical issue that the scathing email was about was something I absolutely could not have known existed. I thought I should come into a clients place of work assuming it was being maintained and was without catastrophic issues?

Anyway I am unsure of how I feel about this as I do not think that sending me a blanket email that I knew nothing about was fair. The employee tried to turn it around on me saying he knew nothing also, but his boss is not one to rant or lie, in fact he is very reasonable. I am wondering if somehow the employee is trying to get me fired from my project with the client. I am wondering how other people would handle the situation? Any advice from the wise is appreciated.

I think you should request a meeting with all parties involved, and clarify all points, if possible.

Otherwise, I would back off from the job, because it sounds a lot like some in-house fighting and left-hand/right-hand clouding and omission.....

If they have a power-struggle going on, you do not want to be caught in the middle, and frankly, it's grossly unfair of them to try to do that.

or am I misunderstanding it?

Sorry to say it but this is becoming more common (I run a business, with about 40 sub-contractors, in the writing field) in the business world related to our field. I have found that it is attached to willingness to pay out vendors.

Lately, regardless of the satisfaction of the contract the "unsatisfied" and usually vague email acts as an excuse to delay payment or leave the debt to you unpaid and will stand up as a complaint against services in court. Your reply should be to ask for specifics you need to repair in order to satisfy your agreement. If the company can actually list very specific terms, you need to satisfy them. If they cannot, it is just complaint and an attempt to save their fee to you. You should also back up your email in a form letter sent certified or notice of delivery. Please protect yourself; times have changed in the economic slump.

Lately, regardless of the satisfaction of the contract the "unsatisfied" and usually vague email acts as an excuse to delay payment or leave the debt to you unpaid and will stand up as a complaint against services in court. Your reply should be to ask for specifics you need to repair in order to satisfy your agreement. If the company can actually list very specific terms, you need to satisfy them. If they cannot, it is just complaint and an attempt to save their fee to you.
Tink has it correct, and it's becoming more and more common. Ill-defined and unsubstantiated 'complaints' that aren't specific enough to be corrected is a red flag. I'd bet my last gallon of gas that the company is going to try to use that as leverage to get a reduced rate for your services.
Tink has it correct, and it's becoming more and more common. Ill-defined and unsubstantiated 'complaints' that aren't specific enough to be corrected is a red flag. I'd bet my last gallon of gas that the company is going to try to use that as leverage to get a reduced rate for your services.

Bingo! You can keep this from happening and it is part of doing business now days. In just the same way they are becoming "aggressive" you should too. You must ask if they can specify. They do not get innumerable complaints; you only need satisfy their original complaint terms and only if they are in your contract. This is only if they can specify them. Just do it the correct way. If you need help on how to do this properly, feel free to PM me.

As an aside to the OP, we are also in media production, we cut picture and sound. I'm not sure if this is more common in our field or if it branches out to all forms of vending and contractors.

• Author
doublescorpio

Thank you to all three of you for what is some very excellent and comprehensive advice! It was exactly the type of elp I am searching for.

TaraMaiden, after seeing one of the employees today it certainly looks like 95% of the employees are jolly and carefree and only one is out for blood. He is the one that the email was also addressed to- and I found out today he has made numerous costly mistakes lately. I will not be asking for his assistance anymore as not only was he cocky, but all seems to know less than he presents he knows.

tinktronik, those were all very significant points. I have been wondering too if I should list some specific terms with them. That is an excellent idea about mailing myself emails etc in the post, I remember doing that when I wrote a script once. I will be doing this again. Really good idea.

And Thaddeus, I too was wondering if the complaint was left 'vague' so that it can resurface later if a discount on my services was ever needed!

I confirmed today that the problem that happened with my deliverable, I had no idea was capable of happening at the time. I have explained to one of the project supervisors about this and also told him that I would need a more reliable method of testing deliverabless than what is in place now. I told him this will need to be there before I am due to create the next deliverable, and if that is not possible we could work out a service fee for using my equipment. He agreed and I think this may be on the mend soon. You are all correct though, I need to be aggressive back if the client and I are going to work through this effectively.

clarify 'aggressive'....

Take it you mean standing your ground and knowing your professionalism is up to standard and that you know your job, and are confident -

as opposed to -

Decking the client and being landed with a lawsuit for one broken jaw, 2 black eyes and 1 pair x torn stockings.....:laugh: :laugh:

Glad I could help.....

Along with Thadd and tink, of course....;)

I confirmed today that the problem that happened with my deliverable, I had no idea was capable of happening at the time. I have explained to one of the project supervisors about this and also told him that I would need a more reliable method of testing deliverabless than what is in place now.

I think the employee in question probably messed up and tried to slide some of this blame onto you.

I told him this will need to be there before I am due to create the next deliverable, and if that is not possible we could work out a service fee for using my equipment. He agreed and I think this may be on the mend soon. You are all correct though, I need to be aggressive back if the client and I are going to work through this effectively.

I don't know if you need to be aggressive in return; I think you just need to remind the client matter-of-factly that you want to keep the correspondence on a professional level at all times.