no more job security

turkstragal

Recently at work alot of ppl have been being let go for little or no reason..I think I may be at risk and it is causing me alot of stress..For at least the past year I have been the auditor of my department, checking form for other staff to be sure everything is done correctly and also doing some training of new staff.The other day our supervisor called a meeting of our department. With no advance warning the supervisor said that we are now going to switch every month having someone differant act as auditor.I had no warning of the change or anything.The least she could have done is told me about it before the meeting instead of the way she did. Now all I can do is wonder if it is my job that is going next. Should I just ask her or does it sound like I should start looking now anyhow..I am actually tempted to start looking regardless just because of the stress at work right now..I really think the way this was done was totally unfair tho..What do you think...

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

I think definitely you should have been told before that meeting that your job is now going to be shared. Have they told you what you would be doing when someone else is auditing?

My suggestion, be proactive in the company if you want to stay there. Look for opportunities where you can add value and make sure your efforts get recognized.

Ask your boss if you should start looking. Make sure you get the truth. This is a workplace, not a relationship and there is no need for them to hide the truth. :)

Recently at work alot of ppl have been being let go for little or no reason..I think I may be at risk and it is causing me alot of stress..For at least the past year I have been the auditor of my department, checking form for other staff to be sure everything is done correctly and also doing some training of new staff.The other day our supervisor called a meeting of our department. With no advance warning the supervisor said that we are now going to switch every month having someone differant act as auditor.I had no warning of the change or anything.The least she could have done is told me about it before the meeting instead of the way she did. Now all I can do is wonder if it is my job that is going next. Should I just ask her or does it sound like I should start looking now anyhow..I am actually tempted to start looking regardless just because of the stress at work right now..I really think the way this was done was totally unfair tho..What do you think...

I think you should just start looking. Nobody really has any security these days.

Job security is a thing of the past. People get let go all the time for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with their competence, tenure or abilities.

There used to be a time that when you showed up early, worked to the best of your ability, stayed late and made the extra effort, that would be rewarded by improved job security, regular increases in pay and moving up the proverbial corporate ladder.

But, I'm sad to say, those days are long gone.

Hey it happens.

This past 2 weeks alone at my company, 2 guys were let go and another 2 quit (maybe a smarter choice because they might have eventually been let go). Times are tough in the recession when there's no work coming around.

Job security is a thing of the past. People get let go all the time for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with their competence, tenure or abilities.

There used to be a time that when you showed up early, worked to the best of your ability, stayed late and made the extra effort, that would be rewarded by improved job security, regular increases in pay and moving up the proverbial corporate ladder.

But, I'm sad to say, those days are long gone.

This is so true. Besides myself for being laid off , there were people in my department that were there 30 years , 22 years , 21 years , 18 years , all of us laid off.

Does not matter if you were an exemplary employee , never ,ever late ( me ) and worked your best. It just does not matter anymore.

Companies worldwide are cutting to the bone . The world will never be the same again. Even if the economy smoothes out , Employers have effectively learned to * cut the fat * and are not likely to over-hire. They are healing too. Employees are likely going to feel insecure ( rightly so ) about the job they have NOW , the job they lost or the next one they find.....

I would not mention your concern about the risk of being let go -- but I would look for a new job just in case. Anyway, it's healthy to look at other possible opportunities once in a while.

Start looking now regardless...she could have done ii differently yes...but it is what it is...times are tough...do your best to hold on to your current job while you look...trust me I have been unemployed for 8 months now

I'm the manager of my department, had 18 staff under me.

At the start of the year, we cut all 18 staff and automated their jobs. I took on the stuff that couldn't be automated.

Interesting times being the manager of nobody.

All I can say is yes, there is NO SUCH THING as job security anymore. I am going on a year now unemployed and likely another year as well. Things are awful right now and I doubt that we will ever come out of this recession simply because it can't get better with 7 million people out of a job. I was fired for doing something that I felt was completely right (handling a hostile co-worker) and I stand behind the professional way it was handled. Unfortunately, my boss was a complete spineless wuss who, if he had handled the situation when it was brought to his attention many times before, I'd likely still have a job instead of worrying about homelessness 24/7 and not being able to eat or sleep because of it.

My point is this - do everything you can to keep your job. Kiss as much ass as possible, be completely indispensable, come in early, be super nice, don't trust anyone, and take as much sh*t as you have to because in the long run it's all about paying the rent, and while you are doing that, send out as many resumes as you can. Even once I do land a job again - if ever - I will never become comfortable, won't put pictures on my desk, and will take my heels home with me every night and will always send out resumes because I may not be there in the morning. This is the new reality, and you have to be prepared for it.

Turkstragal, all i can say is trust your instincts here and start looking for a job right away. And go the extra mile at current job!

I was let go by my company in May after giving them 10 years blood, sweat & tears. The reason they gave me was the company is making a loss. Little did i realise how true this was, because on my last day they announced to everyone that the company filed for administration and now everyone's job was on the line!

I have rented out my apartment to keep the mortgage paid and moved back to my parents. It's been about 3 months and i'm still looking for work :(

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a strong believer of always be looking, especially in this market. Sure, you should be concerned, but maybe even now do your job with more gusto. It can't hurt to do both.