Hi there..I just quit my job of 6 months..only problem is i left on bad terms (I told my boss exactly what I thought of her). I know this was not the best way to leave but I could not take the things she said to me and I had to stand up for myself. Anyways, obviously I can't use her as a reference now. I wanted to know if anyobdy had any suggestions about how to get around this now..I intend to pursue a career in Human Resources and she was my only HR reference. Is there anyway to get around this?? I don't like to lie but could I use the name of somebody else that worked there and pass them off as a supervisor??

Lies always have a way of catching up with you. Just advise prospective employers that you had a serious personality conflict with your former supervisor and you would prefer to give a co-worker or some other person as a reference.

You don't want to give the impression that you are difficult to deal with so you'll have to use your own good sense to cover that base.

I don't advise lying. It's a very small world and the chances of you getting caught in a lie are great.

I think you might as well forget about using your previous job as a reference. Even if you are pissed at your supervisors, don't leave any job in a negative way.

I'd say that you can state where you worked, but when it comes to references, do not list anyone for that company. You can basically claim that your supervisor that was there when you left around the time you did (or so you thought :) ).

• 2 weeks later...
ThisGirlNameKD

Let's be realistic. Not everyone leaves a job on good terms, but in business school (well atleast the one I've been to), we are coach on situations just as these. As the other postings suggest, just let them know that dued to personality conflicts with your supervisor, you would like to use another reference if possible. Do not go into the problems you've had with her as this will seem like you're bashing her. No prospective employer will hire you then because if anything happens with them, they'd fear you'd end up bashing them. I'm not saying you're condition is hopeless and that you will never be able to find another job again, but you might want to reevaluate how you deal with difficult people, because we will always have to work around them. I know in some instances it can be unbearable and you do have to leave, but if you feel like that in the future, just leave on good terms.

Thats absolutely true.I agree with ThisGirl.No matter where you work there will always be difficult people to deal with.And theres always people you will really like. I will admit I had lots of rough jobs and bitchy people wherever I worked.There are no jobs without bitchy people.You just got to deal with them best you can.Good luck.