Ask to resign???

beautiful_stranger

My situation is a bit complicated. My performance review is very soon. If it doesnt go well, i might get fired. I think my chances are 50/50. However, before the review meeting, I will be meeting up with my manager. I am planning to ask her to ask the boss whether he's likely to fire me, and if so, could he give me an opportunity to resign.

I am new to the workforce. So need some opinion on this. Does anyone consider it in any way inappropriate to request an opportunity to resign knowing you might get fired?

I am new to the workforce. So need some opinion on this. Does anyone consider it in any way inappropriate to request an opportunity to resign knowing you might get fired?

Probably not a hot idea to ask for the opportunity to resign.

Just go through the performance review process. In it there may be things that you'll be asked to improve upon. With your manager, develop a plan with clearly definable goals and timelines on those things and work towards them.

Only if the manager says something like, "This isn't working out, perhaps you should look for a new job," THEN ask for the opportunity to resign rather than being fired.. But don't put the proverbial cart before the horse.

If your chances are 50/50.. why don't you just wait and see. :)

You never know.. they might just reprimand you.. for whatever you did... or didn't do.. :o

if you've botched the job so badly, they'd have fired you by now. My guess is that you're like the rest of us working schlubs ... you do good on the whole, though there are moments where your work isn't stellar and therefore, can improve production/quality.

don't look at your performance review as a means for them to come down on you for screwing up, but an opportunity to learn and grow. I know when my editor was still doing them, he was great about asking me what I thought my strengths were and how I could improve other areas. We don't do the reviews anymore, but there were enough of them for me to know when I'm not offering my best to the outfit, and that I can improve.

whatever you do, do NOT ask for an opportunity to resign. One, it makes you look like you'd rather deal with it the easy way out rather than apply yourself and improve a good product (you), and two, if you're going to lose your job in this work climate, you may as well ensure the possibility of getting unemployment compensation while you're looking for something new. Better to cover your butt that way than uphold your pride, you know?

• Author
beautiful_stranger

I am not in the US though. So we don't collect unemployment compensation. Also because this is my first real full time job, i at least want it to appear ok on my resume, and being fired really doesnt look good. I mean the least what they could have said is that this employee didn't do a good job and resigned, rather than being fired. I think they sound completely different?

P.s. i know i screwed up pretty badly... :(

I am not in the US though. So we don't collect unemployment compensation. Also because this is my first real full time job, i at least want it to appear ok on my resume, and being fired really doesnt look good. I mean the least what they could have said is that this employee didn't do a good job and resigned, rather than being fired. I think they sound completely different?

I wouldn't ask to resign. Alot of times the employer will ask you to resign with this in mind... Assuming you are not being fired for gross misconduct. I live in the US however.

curiousnycgirl
IAlso because this is my first real full time job, i at least want it to appear ok on my resume, and being fired really doesnt look good. I mean the least what they could have said is that this employee didn't do a good job and resigned, rather than being fired. I think they sound completely different?(

Regardless of how you end up leaving, why would it change the way you present the job on your resume? I think your greater concern seems to be theire reference on your performance, which will be the same at this point regardless of how you end up leaving.

You are new to the workforce, mistakes are paret of the learning process - of course there are some "unrecoverables" but not as many as you may think. The reality is that writing performance appraisals is a pain right in the bum - so they would not take the time to write yours if they were about to fire you.

I suggest you take a deep breath, prepare for a less than stellar appraisal, and learn from your mistakes.

Good luck.

1) In this economy, getting fired by itself isn't necessarily a big deal. Lots of people are being released involuntarily.

2) If your employer doesn't have nice things to say about you, quitting won't change that.

I think your best bet is to see if you won't be given more time to improve upon your weaknesses so that you'll get a better review next time. If you get canned, you get canned. But don't quit.