I started a new job three months ago, working at a charity. I was hired through a recruitment agency to save costs on the understanding that I would spend my first three months on a temporary contract with the agency then, all being well, I would receive a permanant contract with the company.

Everything was going very well. They seemed happy with me and I was very happy there. I began to believe that the transition from temporary to permanant contract would be a mere formality. But then the trustees of the charity decided they wanted to save costs by getting rid of me and hiring someone else who could do my job and another job as well, rather than pay two people to do two jobs.

I could almost accept if it was just a result of the recession, but I feel the trustees are not playing by the rules. I did my part and they kicked me in the teeth. Bastards!

My rant for the week :mad:

TaraMaiden

So it's true then...'Charity begins at home'... They are more keen to help themselves and do what they want than to consider the effect on you.

That's just mean.

I hope you find something worthy of you very soon.

Good thing you're out. They don't sound people of a good calibre, anyway.

Charities are struggling, and as a giver to charities, I want to think that they use their budgets to support the proposed cause and save money however they can at the management level.

I think their position makes perfect (and preferable) sense, even though it turns out badly for you.

• Author

To be honest, I think their decision is based less on economics and more on "We-can't-make-up-our-minds-what-we-want." I've only been there a few months and their management policy seems to be made up as they go along. It's unprofessional and I've had enough.

I thought you were very happy there?

I just don't see that they kicked you in the teeth. They offered you a temporary contact, and you accepted. They have found someone who can do the job as well or better as you can, plus can handle yet another job.

Seems a bit of a no-brainer to let you go and pick up the new employee.

• Author

It was a temporary contract with the agreement that it would become a permanent contract after three months. And, last time I checked, charity status does not grant them carte blanche to renege on agreements.

If I borrowed $1000 from you, spent it and then said I wouldn't pay it back because I had "changed my mind" then you wouldn't be very happy would you?

TaraMaiden

Have you got it in writing?

If not, you might still be able to get some form of compensation, if an agreement existed. Any winesses?

I think you have a lot of expectations from a non-profit to provide you with a job, when you went in on a temp contract with an "uncerstanding" that it would go permanent.

You need to research "at will" employment laws. They don't have to keep you as an employee if they don't want to, unless their letting you go would violate Fed or State discrimination laws.

I'm sorry that you are upset that you find yourself out of work, but since you seem to dislike their policies and the way they do business, it seems best in the end that you are NOT there. The non-profit gets an employee who is more valuable and saves them money, you get to move on to an employer who does their hiring and firing in a method that is more acceptable to you, and the charitable giver gets to see a lower ratio for the organization's fund-raising/administration costs. Everyone's happy.

As for your illustration of my loaning you $1000 and being upset if you don't pay me back, I learned long ago to never loan money because most people will try to NOT repay. So if I GIVE you $1000, then it is a happy day if you repay it, and I don't lost anything if you don't.

Left in a Lurch

Look at it from their standpoint. If you owned a company and it was your money, would you pay 1 person $40,000 a year to do one job and another person $40,000 to do the other job when you could pay a single person $50,000 to do both jobs and save $30,000 a year?

Would you give them back the $30,000 they would otherwise be saving to keep your job? If you were in their position, you'd do the same.

You said it was management on the fly, you are probably better off because your next job may be a great environment, and the job you really want. Imagine if you went permanent how crappy it would get in a few months dealing with that kind of management anyway.