Why don't I have any friends ?

BoredPerson

I just realised I have no friends. I know a lot of people but I am completely alone. Everyone I know is from work and I don't like any of them, they're all such losers. I want to go back to my real friends but I cannot.

How do you deal with having no friends and being sad all the time because you are also single ?

Would you date a man who has no friends ?

That sounds sad. But people can end up without, or with hardly any friends for many reasons : busy life, unusual life style, emmigration, illness, just name it....

I have very few friends like 3-4 and that's it - as except of illness - all of the above apply... LOL

Additionally I hate talking on the phone - so this doesn't help to keep in touch !!

If you have the time, energy and will to make new friends : start a new hobby - then you meet people through that hobby you immediately share mutual interests with. Not all would become close friends - and most of those that become friends would end up disappointing you, but I think this is a game of probability.

Don't be negative - it repels people. Of course we all have our more challenging moments and I never met a person who doesn't ever feel like a good winge every once in a while, but this should generally not last long.

:)

I guess I am in the same boat with no friends..I know lots of people but there isnt anyone I can reallly say is a friend..The only differance is I have been married almost 25 years..But at this point we dont talk much so I may as well be on my own..

Sugabug, I hope you don't mind me asking : how long has your marriage been like this, and what made it get to that state ?

I dont have any friends, but I fake it when Im talking to dates. By the tiume they find out, t doesnt matter.

In addition, go out and make friends!

I just realised I have no friends. I know a lot of people but I am completely alone. Everyone I know is from work and I don't like any of them, they're all such losers. I want to go back to my real friends but I cannot.

How do you deal with having no friends and being sad all the time because you are also single ?

I haven't posted before this, but this comment brought me out from lurking.

Why cannot you not go back to your "real" friends?"

Why do you consider the people you work with as losers?

What do you do in your spare time? Do you attempt to make new friends?

What are your hobbies?

For most of us who have no or have had no friends, when we look at ourselves we find that a few changes within ourselves can suddenly make all of the difference.

• 1 month later...
turkstragal
Sugabug, I hope you don't mind me asking : how long has your marriage been like this, and what made it get to that state ?

Sorry it took so long for me to answer back..Anyhow my marriage got like this when my H became addicted to prescription drugs..He has done everything an addict does, lied to me, stolen from me and my kids, and got fired from his job for stealing..I dont trust him and because of that I have nothing left to say to him.He refuses to move out and I have no family nearby and not enough money to move out on my own with the kids right now so instead we live like strangers..

I felt very alone after my recent break up - I'd left a certain way of life behind to be with my ex, and managed to shed a lot of 'friends' in the process. The key is just to stay positive and make yourself the kind of person people want to be friends with. In my experience, if you can show that you are talkative and have a sense of humour, friends will find you very easily.

If only attracting ladies was quite so simple...

I dated a guy for over 3 years, lost all my friends in the process. It took a long time before I began to have friends again, all new people mostly from work or through a friend of a friend thing. But 1 person from my past showed up and became a true friend as she was before.

Join something you have an interest in like say baseball or photography or something new like music lessons, hell go skydiving....there are many ways to meet new people. You may not like all of them but you might find a few you do.

Keep your head up.

• 4 weeks later...

Only when I read this thread - I realize I had just been on a weekend away with my best friend, and with all our conversation - I never dare to share my deepest secrets with her - or anyone else.

I have a loving BF, a few quality friends, parents I can always trust, and yet - the things that keep me awake at night - I'm simply not capable of discussing with anyone, or even typing here where nobody knows me....

Devil Inside

The only way to really become friends with someone is to share intimate moments with them. Being vulnerable and connecting on a human level is the path to bonding.

This takes some instinct and feel, because revealing too much, too soon is a red flag to most. Just be yourself. Hang out with people that enjoy similar activities...that way you have things in common. Relax, and just see where it goes.

Why are you bad?

Do you have any interests in anything that you may want to try locally? Like a book club or exercise club?

Have you ever taken a moment to write down all the blessings you have and good things about yourself?

Why be sad while single?

There are pros to being single:

-being able to do what you want, when you want with your hobbies

-no additional responsibilities

-space (if that's important)

-no strings attached

-mobility (travel etc.)

Would I date a woman who has no friends? If she's not sociable, I'd want to know that. If she has few close friends because she travels/moves alot and has so many interests that others can't keep up, I'd be understanding.

I know a woman whose an avid triathlete, kayaker, guitar player, wanna be singer (love it) and wanna be inventor (love that too) - can't complain because she stays in fantastic shape, gets out and enjoys what she does and is an interesting person - I can see how she might have groups of friends, but no one really close and I guess that's the price you pay for being active. :)

Her bf would have to be equally interested or completely supportive for her to do all these things, so I can see how that would be unnatractive to the lazy, unmotivated or ultra clingy types.