Odd situation but...

4givrnt4gtr

So this is an odd question but ive been struggling with the decision all day long. I know people here have awesome advice so here it goes..

I got this very fancy expensive hair treatment done a few years ago its called Japanase straightening. It was amazing and it made my life so much easier for a full year. After that I didnt do it again cuz of the price but then this year i decided to do it again, only i choose a different place to do it at.

Well the guy seemed to know what he was doing and the results the day it was done were amazing, even better than the other place. On top of that he charged a lot less than the original place. I was so happy.

Unfortunately three days later, when i was supposed to be able to wash my hair and still have it look amazing it looked really bad.

I went back to the guy and he told me he didnt know what had happened, that it had never happened to him and asked if i had wet the hair before i was supposed to. I said no and he said he would redo the process but wanted to wait at least another week so my hair wouldnt be too damaged. He then asked me if i would like to get a hair dye in the meantime (weird since he didnt want to do it before a week so my hair had a chance to rest...yet hair dye was still acceptable)

Anyway, we talked more about it, and he told me he might use another chemical to see if it worked this time. It made me nervous that he seemed to not know what happened and wasnt sure how to fix it to make sure it would look good.

So i later went to the original place i had done it a few years ago. They told me they could fix it since it seems like the guy underprocessed the hair. They analyzed the hair and said it could be done by the end of this week.

Now here is the thing...I know they do a really great job but charge a LOT more than the other guy.... the other guy would do it for free but im nervous he might messed up my hair even more...

So my dylema...i know its silly but i really need help figuring it out...

Should i go get my hair redone, pay the price and then tell the other guy to give me my money back since he didnt do what he was supposed to and i truly dont trust him? Risking i would end up paying double of what i would have paid if he doesnt want to give me my money back ? Or should i just let him try to fix it and not pay the extra money?

Please please please help me figure it out....i know its a bit silly but i need help figuring it out!

Not in a million years would I go back and get the person that ruined something as delicate as a straightening (perm) to redo it again only because he offered you a hair die in between (!?) That is just weird that he would offer to put more chemicals on your hair before he puts even MORE chemicals to fix his mistake (??) Cut your losses, try to get your money back and go pay the extra money to get a job well done. Think of it this way if it fails again you will still have to go to the more expensive place to fix things plus think of threee perms vs 2 is a lot harsher on your hair and it will look so bad. If there is one thing I never ever cheap out on is hair so maybe I am not the best person to give you advice since I am partisan to spending good money to get a superior job done, be it style or care. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

JeezLouise

I don't take chances with my hair - it is way too much a part of who I am! Pay the extra money and go to the first place.

Good luck!

Go to the first place, my H always says "you get what you pay for". And with your hair you don't want to cheap out. It takes a long time to grow back (I had hald my head shaved for surgery in January and it's only two inches in the back now) and what if your hair starts to fall out!!

curiousnycgirl

I've been getting japanese thermal reconditioning for 6 years, 2X a year religiously. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that not all places are equal.

I started in NYC and loved the results. I then moved to NJ and tried soemwhere new, and had breakage (EEEK).

Then the woman in the city who had originally done my hair switched salons, her new place used a different formula which didn't work on my hair. In order to get the desired results I have to pay twice - once to her that didn't work, and then once to my original salon to have them use the stuff that does work. I guess I could have gone back to her salon and requested my money back - but I wanted to leave on good terms (no clue why now that I think of it).

So I guess I am telling you if you've got something that works, STICK WITH IT. The possible downsides are just too awful.

Good luck!

Should i go get my hair redone, pay the price and then tell the other guy to give me my money back

I'd say yes get your hair redone at the place you trust -- you deserve the best, yes?

I wouldn't go back to the old place after the fact and ask for money back, though. I'd negotiate that upfront, or just chalk it up to another one of those goshdang "life lessons".

It's quite possible that he won't give your money back, anyway, since he has offered to (try to) fix his original screw-up. Unless they have a "money back" promise/policy posted, it'd be tough to make your case that the money is owed to you. I think.

Star Gazer

About 5 years ago I attempted to save some money and "cheated" on my stylist (who was very pricey). I went to the "outlet" of Umberto Salon (original in Beverly Hills) in Los Angeles - called "U Salon" (aka "Umberto LA"), which charged about half of the original salon (I had never been to either, but the original has a great reputation). At this "outlet" salon, when I asked for strawberry blonde highlights, I wound up with florescent orange roots, and the color of dried blood on the ends. I was mortified. Mort-i-fied. As soon as she took the towel off my head, I was in tears. It was a Saturday afternoon, and she was eager to go home. She refused to fix it right then and there, and said it would get to where I wanted it to be within a few washes.

Well, it didn't. The following Monday I called all over town and finally found someone (an angel) who was able to do a serious color correction on my hair at Fred Segal. It cost over $600 and 6 hours to fix, and I was left with brown hair for 3 months (couldn't go back to blonde straight away without killing my hair). But without that fixer treatment, I would have looked like Carrot Top died. (Even my boss looked at me in disgust when he saw my hair. :()

Anyway, after I got it fixed, I demanded that the original place refund me not what I paid them, but what it cost to fix their error. It took a while, including a sworn declaration from my second stylist about how effed up my hair was and what it took to correct it, but they eventually caved and refunded everything.

When you find someone good who you can trust, they're worth every penny.

• Author
4givrnt4gtr

Thank you so much for your input, its been very very helpful. Im going to call him up today, let him know I decided against him trying to fix my hair and that i need my money back.... Crossing fingers and toes that i get it all back! otherwise id be paying double what i originally was supposed to!

• Author
4givrnt4gtr

So i called the guy, he was extremely rude, even laughed at me when i explained why i wanted my money back and said that whoever i went to dont know what they are talking about

He refused to give me my money back....and honestly had he not been so rude i would have left it at that....

but since he was...

I called my bank and told them the situation. They reverted the charges and asked me to send a letter explaining the situation and have the place i went to that told me my hair would probably be damaged if i did it again to write a "second opinion letter"

Im wondering if they would actually do this....specially since im going to a different place to get it done (higher overall ratings etc...still im going to like 3 places tomorrow to see what they all say)

How do you ask for a "second opinion letter"? anyone has had any experience with this???

Star Gazer
So i called the guy, he was extremely rude, even laughed at me when i explained why i wanted my money back and said that whoever i went to dont know what they are talking about

He refused to give me my money back....and honestly had he not been so rude i would have left it at that....

but since he was...

I called my bank and told them the situation. They reverted the charges and asked me to send a letter explaining the situation and have the place i went to that told me my hair would probably be damaged if i did it again to write a "second opinion letter"

Im wondering if they would actually do this....specially since im going to a different place to get it done (higher overall ratings etc...still im going to like 3 places tomorrow to see what they all say)

How do you ask for a "second opinion letter"? anyone has had any experience with this???

That's pretty much what I did, on my own accord. I thought it would be necessary no matter which route I took. The guy who fixed my hair was more than happy to write a letter for me; in fact, he actually suggested it. My bank was willing to help me the same way yours was, but I wanted the biotch who ruined my hair and laughed at me when I got upset to pay for it.

Actually, the day she ruined it, I wanted her to fix it right then and there. After a day or so, I wanted the owner of the salon to fix it, but that gal refused, and said if I wanted it fixed, the one who messed up would have to do it. That was unacceptable to me - she ruined it to begin with, how could I trust her?! I told them I'd take them to small claims court if I had to, and I would have if it had come to that.

I also threatened to give them poor publicity. If I told ten people, and those ten told ten, etc., combined with the internet (keep in mind Yelp, MS, FB didn't exist then), I could destroy them. THAT was what did the trick.

At this point, it doesn't seem like you need to be concerned about burning a bridge with the guy who ruined your hair.

4giv the bank reverted the charges????? That is unheard of wow! What part of the world do you live in I just didn't think a bank could do that to a merchant. but happy that it worked in your favour this is one of those stories where I am so happy you got revenge, what jerk the bad stylist seems to be!

Star Gazer
4giv the bank reverted the charges????? That is unheard of wow! What part of the world do you live in I just didn't think a bank could do that to a merchant.

My bank was ready willing and able to do it for me too.

I forgot to mention, 4... take pictures of what your hair looks like now, and after.

curiousnycgirl
4giv the bank reverted the charges????? That is unheard of wow! What part of the world do you live in I just didn't think a bank could do that to a merchant. but happy that it worked in your favour this is one of those stories where I am so happy you got revenge, what jerk the bad stylist seems to be!

In the US federally regulated banks cannot do this without a huge fraud investigation. Once the charge is approved (you know when they get the authorization code) they cannot reverse the charge, they can however open an investigation.

Locally/stae regulated banks may be able to do so - I'm less sure of that one.

• Author
4givrnt4gtr

Alright so I went to the original place and after talking to them for like an hour they finally agreed to write a letter...it bassically says that they are going to do the straightening because the other guy didnt do it right and that even though my hair is in bad condition they are going to use special chemicals to repair it...do you think that ough to do it?

Im nervous because they bank wanted a letter saying that the process couldnt be redone period and bassically it cant but they modified it so that they could fix as much as they could.....sigh i guess im gonna have to talk to the bank again and ask if this will suffice....good grief all because of a jerk of a hairstylist.

• Author
4givrnt4gtr

OHHH!!!

I had posted a bad review of the hairstylist and he had the nerve to say this!!

XXX came to me ,Her ends were so dry. She was prepared to have dry ends after the straightening. According to her statement, that what happened to her hair when she had it done in 2006. (such a lie!!) I dried her hair with the dryer ,no brush no falt iron, and it was perfectly straight. I showed her the results before i pressed it. It was perfectly straight. She was amazed.No dry ends,looking beautiful. PS: Yuko straightening doesn't require heat. you can call the yuko academy and check it out for your self @ 18779856797 . Other products requires heat, I used it before and i still have it. For me client is always right .I always respect them no matter what. I feel bad for her, she said i was laughing at her.She went back to the place where she got a 3-4 inches dry ends, dead hair no life to it.Now she says she was happy with that.I knew if i dont give her ,her money back ,she would write a bad review about me. but i refused to refund her money,because i felt like she wants to take advantage of situation to have a free service

JERK!!

i called my bank and told me not to worry that the letter is perfect and that i will more than likely win this little battle....ughh i am so ridiculously irritated!!!

Why not do your own hair and nails? I do. I save tons and the results are as good as what I've paid ridiculous amounts of money for.

But then, I'm pretty low maintenance...

Why not do your own hair and nails? I do. I save tons and the results are as good as what I've paid ridiculous amounts of money for.

But then, I'm pretty low maintenance...

Oh, there you go again!:love:

Geez, I just don't believe in spending tons on hair and nails. I do my own.. But then I have nappy hair so perhaps it's kinda different, i don't know.