Land Shark

I've been laid off before, and I know it's pretty hard to take.

It seems like people would have an easier time dealing with it if there was someone waiting outside the HR office door when they came out, after hearing the news. And if that person handed them a balloon or maybe a nice coffee mug that they could take with them.

Why don't people do this? Are HR people that insensitive?

alphamale
It seems like people would have an easier time dealing with it if there was someone waiting outside the HR office door when they came out, after hearing the news. And if that person handed them a balloon or maybe a nice coffee mug that they could take with them.

those "token" gifts would be a second slap in the face. now, if they handed me a cheque for 3 months pay then i could see it...

alphamale
Is your company laying people off Land Shark

are aquariums having lay offs??

• Author
Land Shark
those "token" gifts would be a second slap in the face. now, if they handed me a cheque for 3 months pay then i could see it...

Balloons generally make people smile. Not everyone is as jaded as you are.

Is your company laying people off Land Shark

We took the opportunity to release some people to go find greener pastures recently.

are aquariums having lay offs??

You know how it goes. The economy is taking a toll everywhere. We don't generally do layoffs though. We just let the bigger fish thin the ranks.

Having recently been laid off, I don't think I would have appreciated a token gift. Especially not a balloon lol. I think alot of people would take it as an insult/phony.

burning 4 revenge

A couple of good letters of reference with at least one pay period severance would be much more appreciated

Yes, they are.

• Author
Land Shark
With what? "Redundant 09" printed on it? :p

The balloon should have something cheerful on it, of course. But your slogan would be good on a lapel pin.

burning 4 revenge
Yes, they are.

Do you know anyone who was in HR who was completely pitiless and a first rate megalomaniac?

Do you know anyone who was in HR who was completely pitiless and a first rate megalomaniac?

:laugh: You are SUCH a trouble-maker.

(Uhm...you do know that I was in HR, right?)

Or were you referring to that other pitiless, first rate megalomaniac that we all know?:eek:

burning 4 revenge
:laugh: You are SUCH a trouble-maker.

(Uhm...you do know that I was in HR, right?)

Or were you referring to that other pitiless, first rate megalomaniac that we all know?:eek:

No I wasnt referring to you. Id imagine you were too emotional to be in HR

Some people in HR have ice-water in their veins.

Art_Critic

It's also very hard to do.. even harder if it is your own company.. I had to lay off an 18 year veteran of my company not long ago, I hired him and I laid him off.

It isn't easy on all sides..

No I wasnt referring to you. Id imagine you were too emotional to be in HR

Some people in HR have ice-water in their veins.

I know you weren't referring to me.:rolleyes:

Not sure how to take the comment about being too "emotional" to be in HR. If that means having a "heart" well yeah...I did. Didn't always make me the most effective manager but so what? I wouldn't change how I was or how I treated people for anything.

Yes, people in HR are sometimes very robotic and insensitive. Money comes before people.

I'd rather be poor but kind and sympathetic to people when they need it, than cold and calculating but a great business person who only looks at the bottom line.

Call me crazy.

Plus, I don't play poker!:p

alphamale
It's also very hard to do.. even harder if it is your own company.. I had to lay off an 18 year veteran of my company not long ago, I hired him and I laid him off.

It isn't easy on all sides..

indeed, but at least you're still employed

There is something really funny about picturing a person getting laid off and having an HR rep hand them a balloon on their way out. Lol I know it's in poor taste but that is a very funny mental image. Some HR people are the scum of the earth, I wouldn't put something like this past them. When you are not good enough to have a specialization you become an HR rep and prey and piggyback off of professionals who actually work hard enough to become something of themselves.

BlueEyedGirl

I would like a balloon if I was getting fired.

I recently had a work presentation and when I unlocked the room to set things up, someone left about 5 huge balloons in it. Touching the balloons made me happy :)

Years ago I worked for a company where staff paid for the Christmas party. On this particular occasion the company had booked and paid for it in advance and we were told that we would be asked to pay after the event. The day after the party, the company said that we did have to pay - it was a gift from the company. They also made a big point of encouraging staff to take time off over Christmas - something else they had never done before.

Immediately after Christmas, they then made 20% of us redundant and when calculating pay offs, they reduced payments by the annual leave thay had just encouraged people to take (in line with employment contracts they had suddenly issued in November). I was only 21 at the time but at least I had the nerve to argue for my full pay off, pointing out they thay had as good as forced us to take leave so at in the end I was about the only one who did not have a deduction made.

So does it sweeten the blow to get a gift? No way - you just think what b*****ds they are. :mad: