TwinkletOes26

maybe you employers can weigh in on this one:

Ok ive been looking for work for a yr. I have yet to run up on something bc even if they ask for a bs they also want 2-4 yrs experience. Ok everyone wants experience but how in the HE!! am i suppose to get job experience if you wont hire me. I also hear experience is more important than a degree BUT if i had opted out of college i STILL wouldnt get the job bc i didnt have the "right credentials" aka a degree.

I feel im being punished for daring to go to college. Is it my fault the college curriculum fails to apply to the real world. I couldnt do internships because the business said they didnt have them and they only wanted someone qualified to work with them aka a degree. So now im supposedly "qualified" and no one wants me.

Ive had a few jobs but non professionaly related. They were minimum wage and only for a short while because i needed to focus on my studies thinking college was more important than a 5.50 and hour job. I mean again i feel im being punished for going to school. Cant employers give us fresh faced college grads a chance?

Well employers?

ok done ranting off to call the temp agency maybe someone will want me there:mad:.

Ok ive been looking for work for a yr. I have yet to run up on something bc even if they ask for a bs they also want 2-4 yrs experience. Ok everyone wants experience but how in the HE!! am i suppose to get job experience if you wont hire me. I also hear experience is more important than a degree BUT if i had opted out of college i STILL wouldnt get the job bc i didnt have the "right credentials" aka a degree.

I feel im being punished for daring to go to college. Is it my fault the college curriculum fails to apply to the real world. I couldnt do internships because the business said they didnt have them and they only wanted someone qualified to work with them aka a degree. So now im supposedly "qualified" and no one wants me.

Ive had a few jobs but non professionaly related. They were minimum wage and only for a short while because i needed to focus on my studies thinking college was more important than a 5.50 and hour job. I mean again i feel im being punished for going to school. Cant employers give us fresh faced college grads a chance?

Well employers?

ok done ranting off to call the temp agency maybe someone will want me there:mad:.

Whats you degree in and how do you do most of your job searching?

• Author
TwinkletOes26

Psychology - mostly clerical and entry level hr....i just want enough to buy a car and pay for online courses to get my masters in family psychology. I called a temp agency im gonna send them my resume.

My experience includes an internship and being a cashier lol my main focus was on school. I was also vice president of the psychology club.

Did your internship have anything to do with psychology? And in any case, can you get a reference from anybody you worked with at the internship?

I would do some research online of psychologist offices in your area. Then go door-to-door, introducing yourself to the receptionist (or whoever happens to be in the office) and give them your resume. Just tell them exactly what you posted above, and ask them if they need some help. Show that you're hungry (eager to do a good job for them) and are serious about entering the psychology profession.

Also think about joining professional associations related to psychology. It's a great way to network.

And you could check with your alma mater -- ask some of your former professors for references or job leads... and check out the college's Career Center.

The more people you talk to face-to-face in the profession, the greater the chances you'll hit the jackpot.

It's tough for everybody out there. The name of the game now is NETWORKING. It's not what you know, it's WHO you know.

Good luck!

Also, contact your local women's shelters. Ask them about volunteering if they have no jobs available. Getting your name out there is so important.

Have you joinged business networking sites like LinkedIn? Having the name of a friend of a friend's friend to call directly is much better than just emailing a resume.

You should spend as much time a day LOOKING for a job as you do AT a job. That means get up each morning, get dressed nicely, read the paper, check the internet, call your ESC, hit the pavement.

Can you get a job in an unrelated / unqualified section of a large company and work your way up to a qualified position?

A number of people that now have "professional" (need a qualification) roles at the company I'm at started off in our Customer Care department while they were studying.

Then, when study was over, we simply snapped them into our other departments if they were good.

Do you have "any" work experience?

• Author
TwinkletOes26

Well i worked as a cashier then did an internship from march - may but thats about it. Sad thing is where i did an internship doesnt even want me and i did everything they asked PERFECT. Even made their poster board for the health fair they had that yr (had glitter and all like they asked).

Would it be ok to use the boss there as a reference even though they never called me back for an interview(i have no clue why). I always ask for entry level positions.

Now im calling up temp agencies. Its insane i feel like im being punished for going to college. If experience is all that matters then why does anyone go to college? :mad:

I dont know anyone and all my psych professors do research in labs. Something im not interested in at all and they only do it at my old college. Mostly the issue is all the good jobs are in the city. I live in a smaller city where there are less jobs.

I would go to the bigget city but ,my mother wont allow me to drive her car there. Seeing as i have no car of my own im stuck only applying in the smaller cities.

Temping sounds good.. I have a soft spot for temping. Different environments are good, especially as one does not have to get overly involved in existing politics. Temping provides experiences vital for networking. Nowadays its who you know, not what you know. Hey, maybe its always been so?

I would agree with the comment regarding volunteering at a womens shelter. I dont know what aspect of the field you are interested in though. My first Degree is in Psychology. Unless you are going to go to Grad school or use the Degree to gain Post Grad qualifications or a Masters in a related field I would not rely on the qualification itself. You have reached the first rung.

I would say that the options open to you are temping, volunteering or some level of advice work to gain people skills and experience of different referral and assessment processes/routes.

For best results combine all of the above with further study.

Best of luck.

Take care,

Eve xx

Me again.. I cannot emphasis just how much employers LOVE people who engage in volunteering..

Had to say that..

Take care,

Eve xx

• Author
TwinkletOes26
Me again.. I cannot emphasis just how much employers LOVE people who engage in volunteering..

Had to say that..

Take care,

Eve xx

I need to make money to pay student loans (they are like vultures LOL). I also need a job to pay for masters courses. My friends who chose other majors are struggling as well. I have one friend that found a job and she did it through a temp agency. SO i hoping to find something. I want to try working somewhere that has to do with psychology even if its just as a secretary you know. I tell them look im gonna go to grad schoo,but i dont think that i really am. Its funny i need a masters to open up my own practice but i need a job to pay for the classes and a minimum wage job isnt gonna cut it paying for masters courses they are more expensive than undergrad :mad:...Wish me luck with the temp agency. Pray that my mama doesnt pull her "im too tired to go anywhere BS"

Star Gazer
I need to make money to pay student loans (they are like vultures LOL). I also need a job to pay for masters courses.

Your student loans shouldn't become due while you're still in school. If you're proceeding right into your masters' program, that takes care of that problem.

With a BA in psych you're not really going to be able to do much that is really psych-related, so I'd suggest getting enough to pay the bills and focus on kicking butt in your masters' program. In the interim, also do an unpaid internship to get you the experience you'll need to have once you're done with school. :)

• Author
TwinkletOes26
Your student loans shouldn't become due while you're still in school. If you're proceeding right into your masters' program, that takes care of that problem.

With a BA in psych you're not really going to be able to do much that is really psych-related, so I'd suggest getting enough to pay the bills and focus on kicking butt in your masters' program. In the interim, also do an unpaid internship to get you the experience you'll need to have once you're done with school. :)

thats the issue i cant pay for a masters program and my parents agreement was theyd pay for my bs (everything loans and fin aid wouldnt pay) and id pay for my masters. Im not even looking for anything in the field of psych .just basic office/clerical work lol.Ive been out of school for a yr so they are a coming knocking lol. I am not snooty im looking for anything but like i said in this area minum wage is not gonna cut the bills. Even in retail the pay is 6.00 and hour tops. I wish i lived near the city but i dont my mother chose to live with my stepdad in the middle of nowhere.

To top it off she wants me to quit asking for money but when i try to go to hand out my resume she doesnt "feel" like it. There is no public transportation and the only way to get to where the jobs are is by interstate and i fou d out riding a bike on the interstate is against the law.So i will just keep looking online and hope the temp agency finds me something soon. He said call back tomorrow so wish me luck.

Lucky_One

How are you planning on getting to work, if you do find a job?

The point to volunteering at a women's shelter is that is a great foot in the door to jobs there in your field. You also are gaining experience in your arena. You also are doing something good for other people. And you also are getting out of the house.

calazhage

Welcome to the trap..

I noticed the same thing. I said screw it, and started my own business. What some people do is what another poster suggested. Now get a masters, and acquire more debt..:rolleyes: Then you will have a masters with no experience..

I do not have an answer. Most people I knew who did beat that system lived at home with mom and dad, worked months for free in the form of internships, then became lucky if a company would actually hire them.

I need to make money to pay student loans (they are like vultures LOL). I also need a job to pay for masters courses. My friends who chose other majors are struggling as well. I have one friend that found a job and she did it through a temp agency. SO i hoping to find something. I want to try working somewhere that has to do with psychology even if its just as a secretary you know. I tell them look im gonna go to grad schoo,but i dont think that i really am. Its funny i need a masters to open up my own practice but i need a job to pay for the classes and a minimum wage job isnt gonna cut it paying for masters courses they are more expensive than undergrad :mad:...Wish me luck with the temp agency. Pray that my mama doesnt pull her "im too tired to go anywhere BS"

Reseach Councils often provide studentships - you dont have to get into debt. Employers find people with money already in place to study highly attractive, especially if they are humble enough to volunteer. Ideally study should be combined with practise. Unsure what to say about Mom not lending you her car. My kids know not to even ask.. I love my car and dont even like my Hubby driving it. Do you have family who live in the City? Maybe you could go visiting for a few weeks? A change of venue could do you the world of good right now.

Maybe even volunteer abroad for a bit? You are young and free above all else..

Take care,

Eve xx

Keep your chin up! Its bloody frustrating I know but something will turn up.

Well, what kinds of jobs did you expect your psych degree to prepare you for?

• Author
TwinkletOes26

:laugh:Ok i get the feeling some think im being a brat who think the world owes me something lol. I dont i really dont..i KNEW going into psychology i would need to get my masters. I need a job to get my masters. Around here the minimum wage highest payment is 6.00 thats even in retail. I need more money than that to pay for my own car,tuition, try to get an apt to get out of the house ect ect ect. I just want an office job. There are a couple of places you can work with a bachelors degree BUT they are all government and the government jobs in my state are on a hiring freeze :(. Hence the temp agency....i cant do intership that doesnt pay. Not that i am above that i just need money ya know. Im in my mid 20s and need to get my life going.It wouldnt be so bad if i lived near the bigger city in my state but i dont.

I have relatives that live in the bigger city BUT my uncle said and i quote

"we dont have room for you to stay with us". All my friends live with their parents too.

Now as far as the car goes i promise im not being a brat about the car. I just want the car to get to work so i can buy my own car. If she wants to ride with me to work everyday its her days wasted not mine. I never got a car as a teen bc my mother believed teens dont needs cars. I was told that i would get one when i graduated college. Well here i am graduated and i still no car. Not pouting about its just i need to get to work some how.

There is no public transportation not even cabs.I have one friend that lives in my small town and she shares her mamas car. Her mom uses the car during the weekdays to go to her job(and no walmart where we live isnt hiring i asked).I cant ride a bike bc ill get sweaty and stinky on the way there lol(bad bad impression to smell bad to a job interview),i dont know how to ride a bike(my mother said it was dangerous),and you have to get on the interstate to get to the jobs and its against the law to ride a bike on the interstate. So i really am not being a brat.

I signed up with a temp agency and just pray pray pray my mother will not pull her usual "im tired routine". She says she doesnt feel well but the dr sad theres nothing wrong with her. She just needs to quit sitting around the house(his words not mine).

So its my situation it is what it is. All i can do is to keep trying. Oh BTW if i did volunteer my mother would def pull the shes tired thing because she wouldnt consider it important because im not getting paid.

Let me just give insight into what i go through. It took an act of congress to get her to take me to the mall so i could get decent interview clothes. She could not understand why i had to have a button up shirt. I told her that a regular shirt is not interview material. She still cant understand. She taught school so i asked her what she wore to her interview. She cant"remember". She didnt want me to get interview clothes in the first place. She and my stepdad said i should GET A JOB before i get INTERVIEW CLOTHES. I informed them i need to go to a interview before i get a job.

I cant go hand in resumes in person because my mother said she doesnt want to run all over town. She says all this but yet when it comes to me needing my sinus meds(yes i need them or i will get horribly sick:( ) she wants to say "ill be glad when you get a job and pay for stuff yourself". SO yea im swimming upstream but ill continue to swim.

Thank you guys for your help

BoredPerson

Well employers?

Your communication skills are terrible. Improve them for a start. Seconldy are you a boy or a girl ? Girls can get into big companies and gain experience if they're sexy.

So start working out and wearing a push up bra to interviews. Apply for jobs as admin assistant or receptionist. Work your way up. Show an interest in things outside of your wedding or other girl assortments.

You might never get there but atleast you have a job.

Secondly you could get a masters or something or another degree I don't know in something practical. Like computer programming or accounting, or teaching. Not something like 'counselling' or 'warm fluffy things that make ovaries tingle with delight'.

Finally, this is what happens when you mismanage and economy to the extent tha has happened recently. Blame the current paradigm, because the people in charge don't know what they're doing.

BoredPerson
Well, what kinds of jobs did you expect your psych degree to prepare you for?

Psych is a good degree. Employers need to have a more open mind about who they hire.

Lucky_One

"Around here the minimum wage highest payment is 6.00 thats even in retail. I need more money than that to pay for my own car,tuition, try to get an apt to get out of the house ect ect ect. I just want an office job."

So, what you are saying is that you won't accept a minimum wage job, because you want to make more money than that. (What state has a $6.oo minimum wage anyway?? http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm)

You are living at home for free. Take ANY job, retail, minimum wage, ANYTHING. And save your money for 3 months. $6 x 30 hours = $180 x 4 weeks = $720 - $120 taxes = $600 x 3 months = $1800. Go buy a 2000 Ford Focus for $5500, with $500 down, 7.5% interest for 60 months, with a payment of $100 a month. You now have a car and $1300 in savings.

Months 4 and 5 - $600 a month = $1200 - $200 for car payments - $200 gas - $100 in car insurance + $1400 in savings = $2100. Time to think about moving out.

Ask your friends who wants to share a small apt. You have enough money to put down 1/2 or 1/3 of a security deposit on the apt, and your family's credit history may or may not be good enough with the electric company to force you to pay an electrical deposit, so you may owe that, too. Offer to drop your roommates off at work in exchange for a tankful of gas a month each, and your gas bill goes down, and you now have money for your share of the electric bill every month.

And my above calculations are based on that $6 staying $6, and your never working more than 30 hours a week. So with that extra time off and owning your own car, you keep giving out applications. And you volunteer at places where likely jobs come up. And you take courses at your community college to help you with your job skills and to demonstrate to future employers that you are willing to continue laerning.

Do you realize that had you taken a "retail, minimum wage job" for $6/hr in January, you would already be driving a car of your own, and be well on your way to moving out? Had you taken one last summer, you would be out of the house already, and have money saved for starting grad school.

Your BIGGEST thread on LS about getting a job concerned eyeshadow colors, not about how or where to get a job, or how to network, or how to present yourself for an interview. You have been unemployed and out of school for a year, so someone is obviously paying your student loans for you for now.

I know you think I sound mean, but really, why haven't you taken any job that presents itself? Why the snobbery against jobs in retail, or jobs that pay minimum wage? Why do you think that anyone owes you (degree, or no degree) a job that pays over minimum wage when you have no job experience and refuse to get experience becaues they don't pay you enough? Why is it clerical, or nothing?

When you start on the bottom, you start on the bottom. You aren't being punished for going to college, but you aren't going to be rewarded, either. You are going to gain rewards for putting in time and effort, not to rest on past laurels.

• Author
TwinkletOes26
"Around here the minimum wage highest payment is 6.00 thats even in retail. I need more money than that to pay for my own car,tuition, try to get an apt to get out of the house ect ect ect. I just want an office job."

So, what you are saying is that you won't accept a minimum wage job, because you want to make more money than that. (What state has a $6.oo minimum wage anyway?? http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm)

You are living at home for free. Take ANY job, retail, minimum wage, ANYTHING. And save your money for 3 months. $6 x 30 hours = $180 x 4 weeks = $720 - $120 taxes = $600 x 3 months = $1800. Go buy a 2000 Ford Focus for $5500, with $500 down, 7.5% interest for 60 months, with a payment of $100 a month. You now have a car and $1300 in savings.

Months 4 and 5 - $600 a month = $1200 - $200 for car payments - $200 gas - $100 in car insurance + $1400 in savings = $2100. Time to think about moving out.

Ask your friends who wants to share a small apt. You have enough money to put down 1/2 or 1/3 of a security deposit on the apt, and your family's credit history may or may not be good enough with the electric company to force you to pay an electrical deposit, so you may owe that, too. Offer to drop your roommates off at work in exchange for a tankful of gas a month each, and your gas bill goes down, and you now have money for your share of the electric bill every month.

And my above calculations are based on that $6 staying $6, and your never working more than 30 hours a week. So with that extra time off and owning your own car, you keep giving out applications. And you volunteer at places where likely jobs come up. And you take courses at your community college to help you with your job skills and to demonstrate to future employers that you are willing to continue laerning.

Do you realize that had you taken a "retail, minimum wage job" for $6/hr in January, you would already be driving a car of your own, and be well on your way to moving out? Had you taken one last summer, you would be out of the house already, and have money saved for starting grad school.

Your BIGGEST thread on LS about getting a job concerned eyeshadow colors, not about how or where to get a job, or how to network, or how to present yourself for an interview. You have been unemployed and out of school for a year, so someone is obviously paying your student loans for you for now.

I know you think I sound mean, but really, why haven't you taken any job that presents itself? Why the snobbery against jobs in retail, or jobs that pay minimum wage? Why do you think that anyone owes you (degree, or no degree) a job that pays over minimum wage when you have no job experience and refuse to get experience becaues they don't pay you enough? Why is it clerical, or nothing?

When you start on the bottom, you start on the bottom. You aren't being punished for going to college, but you aren't going to be rewarded, either. You are going to gain rewards for putting in time and effort, not to rest on past laurels.

Im saying that I NEED more money than minimum wage. FYI there havent been any job opportunities that have presented itself. I was asking about e/s colors as part of me preparing for the business world.

I refuse to get a unpaid internship because i need money.No one is paying my student loans i have had to keep getting them defered because i still havent found a job. Im not expecting to be rewarded for going to college. I said i feel like im being punished because most places i see online and in the newspaper want 2-5 yrs experience.

You dont realize that i have a LOT of student loans to pay off. The college i attended was expensive. So i had to take out several school loans. Like i said im not complaining i was RANTING. I could see if i was sitting on my behind not looking but i am not. So your attempts to chastize me are going in one ear and out the other. I asked other questions on here other than about e/s.

I know how to network..the issue is i dont know anyone in this area. The people i know live in a bigger city. My friends are in the same boat as me except one. She got her job through a temp agency so i have contacted one. I do not see the issue here? Ive posted my resume everywhere i could possibly. Im not snubbing retail bc i think im above that im snubbing it because it isnt enough money to pay for all the loans i have plus paying for grad school plus the GRE (that in itsself is like 200 dollars). So i am not being a lazy brat as you are implying. I would love to work retail and get a discount on clothes but it simply doesnt pay enough.

Like i said before i shall continue to look. Hopefully the temp agency will find me something. I am more than willing to continue learning but learning cos MONEY. My parents arent going to help me pay for masters courses. Im gonna have to do that on my own so i need decent money.

Its rough out there for everyone so again your attempts to make me feel bad about what i am doing are going in one ear and out the other.

Now if you excuse i have to print off extra copies of my resume for tomorrow when i meet with the temp agency.

Thank you all for your help:)

Lucky_One

And like I said - you could have been working for a year for income. You have not been in school, you have not been working. This is a year that has been basically wasted.

So it doesn't pay much. A little bit is more than you are getting now. And the year's work experience is a year's work experience - which is what you need, even if you aren't working in your field, showing some work experience is much better on a resume than having a year's gap with nothing to show for it.

I am sorry that you think I am picking on you. But it seems that you just keep ranting - and doing nothing. Working at a fast-food restaurant teaches you things that are valuable in any future workplace, and it gives you income. There is no shame in working a minimum wage job.

You REFUSE to get an unpaid internship? Why? When that could lead to something more, and will definitely give you work experience?

Star Gazer

Fantastic post, Lonely.

All I hear from the OP are excuses and really out of place priorities. Your comments provide fantastic guidance.

Another option, OP: serving or cocktail waitressing. You can wear whatever eyeshadow you want, and make pretty decent money. That's how I paid my way through undergrad (car payment, apartment, and all!).

• Author
TwinkletOes26
Your communication skills are terrible. Improve them for a start. Seconldy are you a boy or a girl ? Girls can get into big companies and gain experience if they're sexy.

So start working out and wearing a push up bra to interviews. Apply for jobs as admin assistant or receptionist. Work your way up. Show an interest in things outside of your wedding or other girl assortments.

You might never get there but atleast you have a job.

Secondly you could get a masters or something or another degree I don't know in something practical. Like computer programming or accounting, or teaching. Not something like 'counselling' or 'warm fluffy things that make ovaries tingle with delight'.

Finally, this is what happens when you mismanage and economy to the extent tha has happened recently. Blame the current paradigm, because the people in charge don't know what they're doing.

You know i notice that everytime you post to anyone on here its always so rude. Why the rudeness? Why the hostility? Is it really that serious?