RecordProducer

Well, in these layoff times, perhaps the word "job" evokes poignant feelings in many of us, but let's bash jobs for a little bit... :p

I've read about post office jobs: they say they're horrible, because the work never stops, they get no gratification, the management is militaristic, etc. Only the pay is pretty good, which makes PO employees even more frustrated since their skills aren't transferable, so they are basically non-qualified for any other job in that salary range. Next time when you complain about slow service, think of the miserable PO clerks. ;):eek:

Some people say that nurses hate their jobs, although I know at least one nurse who loves her job. So what are your experiences and those of your friends and relatives? I am not trying to make any generalizations here. Just state your (or somebody else's) frustration and explain why. :)

I've never had a bad JOB. I have, however, had bad BOSSES that ruined it for me. Micromanagers... a disdainful attitude toward all people in general... passive-aggressive sabotage... etc. It's bewildering to me how these people ended up managing others. They seem to enjoy making other people's lives miserable!

laRubiaBonita

i hate my job, and some of my coworkers and the good ole boy "favoritism" system.

i deal with people who do not pay their rent or do not keep there rental properties up; people who complain about leaves from the neighbors tree falling on their property. i get to cover phones for a chic that got to create her own schedule and i get stuck with 2 hours of her work..... she doesn't really work- she chit chats on the phine, or with other coworkers allll the time.

we are not getting any pay increase this year, not even cost of living.... yet i am sure the directors will get and accept their bonuses.

i hate my job..... i feel it is a dead end, i do not see me being able to move up- as i do not sleep with management, nor to i have a penis.

I've never had a bad JOB. I have, however, had bad BOSSES that ruined it for me. Micromanagers... a disdainful attitude toward all people in general... passive-aggressive sabotage... etc. It's bewildering to me how these people ended up managing others. They seem to enjoy making other people's lives miserable!

No kidding...it's like a prerequisite for some managers to have zero people skills.

BoredPerson

Nurses hate their jobs because half of them started out as spoiled girls weharing shorts skirts, who go out to bars and have sex instead of working while their parents paid for nursing college.

They don't know what real work looks like b.c all they did was work at a bar a few nights a week during college so that patrons could look at their breasts and they think that is the hardest job in the world.

They think nursing will be glamorous and is a wonderful career like what everyone says. Then when they find out there is real dirty work they don't like it because they're little princesses, then they're bitter at everyone else who has to talk about how hard they work or else !

Same applies to teachers and some police officer.

Very different to postal officers who are just hard working people trying to make a living.

Nurses hate their jobs because half of them started out as spoiled girls weharing shorts skirts, who go out to bars and have sex instead of working while their parents paid for nursing college.

Same applies to teachers and some police officer.

Is there ever a post you make that isn't somehow insulting to some person ?

My Mom is a retired RN...

One of my many sisters is a teacher and her husband is a cop...

I'll make sure to tell my brother in law the next time he saves a one month old child in a burning car accident that he has no idea what work is really like and he is just a spoiled jerk..

or my sister when she is teaching children, I'll make sure she knows she is a princess for teaching our next generation.

or my Mom while she was saving lives in the cancer labs, surgery or working with AIDs patients that she is just a princess and not worthy of anyone..

WTF dude ??.. what the heck is wrong with you ?

Jake Barnes

Most oncologists I know started out as d*ck sucking rent boys with spiked blue hair cruising the streets of Halifax looking to rob sickening septagenerian lechers on pensions so they could score some watered down hydrocodne to inject directly into their useless, blown out AIDS infested veins

However I respect garbage collectors because theyre real salt of the earth types

I've had two crappy jobs in a row

1) enjoyed the first 12 months, but then management changed and a couple women took over who were complete alpha-males and against the male race in general, caused me a lot of grief. finally was able to quit after 24 months of job searching. Both women fired or quit a few months later.

2)enjoyed the first 18 months, but another management change with another clueless woman in charge, asked my opinions but never followed them, I didn't feel engaged or even valued. I dreaded going to work, and ended up taking 2 hour lunches each day just to kill some time. started going down the tubes quickly, and then I knew it was time for me to go, so....

I started my own business and have had great success since.

• Author
RecordProducer

Hm, so it's always about management, I guess. People suck.

LaRubiaBonita, I feel for you. I hate all those secretarial jobs (to me all that mindless paper-chasing and non-qualified dealing with people is secretarial). You don't apply any expertise, but yuo have to be an expert in putting up with crap.

I started my own business and have had great success since.

So in what field is your business? Congrats on your success! That's wonderful for you. :)

So in what field is your business? Congrats on your success! That's wonderful for you. :)

Thank you, RP. I do business consulting. This year has been tough and even if it's nothing like the last two, it will be better than my last year as a full time employee of someone else. Matter of fact, my absence on this board will be a good indicator of when things get real good again :).

Being an entrepreneur is not easy, nor for the faint of heart. For me, even the worst day is better than the best day at my last two jobs. Plus it means a lot less office politics; although I still have to deal with people like my previous supervisors, at least now I can fire them just as easy as they can fire me.

Well, in these layoff times, perhaps the word "job" evokes poignant feelings in many of us, but let's bash jobs for a little bit... :p

I've read about post office jobs: they say they're horrible, because the work never stops, they get no gratification, the management is militaristic, etc. Only the pay is pretty good, which makes PO employees even more frustrated since their skills aren't transferable, so they are basically non-qualified for any other job in that salary range. Next time when you complain about slow service, think of the miserable PO clerks. ;):eek:

Some people say that nurses hate their jobs, although I know at least one nurse who loves her job. So what are your experiences and those of your friends and relatives? I am not trying to make any generalizations here. Just state your (or somebody else's) frustration and explain why. :)

i've heard post people love their jobs. pay is good, no hassle, secure. most postmen look fairly happy to me.

nurses have a hard job but they say its rewarding and pay is good.

everyone complains no matter what they do. have you every heard a doctor go on about a crazy patient? or the lawyer who has a nut job client? or the garbageman who complains about smelling like sheeyot all day? or the secretary who's hit on by every dude who walks in the office??

SpanksTheMonkey

I was a dishwasher in a steak house as one of my 1st full time jobs people are pigs when they don't have to clean the mess up themselves honestly its shocking now that job truly sucked...

Standing on the street corner for hours in the cold with a sign you hold up and spin around is probably a pretty bad job.

Working after business hours, cleaning the men's room at the office where I work has to be a bad job. Some people need some nutritional counseling.

• Author
RecordProducer
have you every heard a doctor go on about a crazy patient?
I've never heard a doctor complain about their job, but your father was a doctor so you know better than me. All I know is that we don't have any doctors on LS, probably because they don't have time to be here. Or maybe they don't want to be asked any medical quesions or they think they're above the LS crowd? Who knows?

Okay...what about working in a call center, as a telemarketer?

Oh man, that was soooo bad.

Must be the least gratifying experience ever.

All you get is guff and verbal abuse from the public ALL DAY LONG.

Which is completely unfair, when you think about all the telemarketer is doing is working hard, trying to make a decent living. They are not pan-handling or sponging off the welfare system.

And you get tapped on the shoulder and told to leave, because you are not aggressive enough.

What are the 3 things plumbers learn the first day at work?

1). Shiot floats downhill

2). Payday is on Friday

3). Never bite your fingernails after work

Plumbers have some really tough days, and no pats on the back.

Chicago_Guy
I've never heard a doctor complain about their job, but your father was a doctor so you know better than me. All I know is that we don't have any doctors on LS, probably because they don't have time to be here. Or maybe they don't want to be asked any medical quesions or they think they're above the LS crowd? Who knows?

Doctors do complain about their jobs. I think that they like having to deal with the insurance companies and Medicare. Doctors have to pay a lot of money for school and most of them don't start making decent money until they are in their 30s, at which point they are spending much of their income paying off loans.

I am a lawyer and I can tell you that lawyers (at least those at big firms) probably complain about their jobs more than anyone else. Lawyers are under a tremendous amount of pressure to bills lots of hours and eventually bring in clients. Also, of the major professions, lawyers probably have a higher rate of depression than any other profession.

Jobs I've had:

-tutoring children: HATED it. It was so freaking boring, and I must not have been a very good teacher, because they did NOT ever seem to learn anything.

-doing phone surveys for my university: the survey was about marriage, love, and relationships, so it was pretty interesting. It was also pretty fun to talk to people, in the rare instances that they actually stayed on the line, instead of being really rude to me or hanging up. Mostly, lots of dialing; thank god I was stoned.

-stripper: not an easy job. But it gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted, and it made me feel relatively sane, as the people I was surrounded by weren't even rational. And it taught me some stuff. Like how to stuff a knife in my bra, and that I am probably not an alcoholic.

-actuary: best job ever. After a year, I'm still on kind of a high about how, finally, I have found something that is the opposite of boring.

Oh oh...how could I have forgotten this one!!...when I was 18 yrs old, I was a telephone operator.

Lots of verbal abuse from the public,... and mean, nasty supervisors who monitor calls.

Operators face alot of scrutiny, or at least they did back in the day (back in the stone age)...:p

BoredPerson
Is there ever a post you make that isn't somehow insulting to some person ?

My Mom is a retired RN...

One of my many sisters is a teacher and her husband is a cop...

I'll make sure to tell my brother in law the next time he saves a one month old child in a burning car accident that he has no idea what work is really like and he is just a spoiled jerk..

or my sister when she is teaching children, I'll make sure she knows she is a princess for teaching our next generation.

or my Mom while she was saving lives in the cancer labs, surgery or working with AIDs patients that she is just a princess and not worthy of anyone..

WTF dude ??.. what the heck is wrong with you ?

Blah... Blah.. yet, you Republicans will take every effort to attack the working classes. My parents are poor, can you go without attacking them ?

I never said all nurses are bad. I said the spoiled hot chicks that go to nursing school thinking it will be glamorous and then when they hit the real world can't handle it - then expect everyone to crap on about how hard their jobs are, are bad. Those ones annoy me.

Big fat women or men who do it because they want to help people are coolo in my book. So long as they don't expect how hard done by they are to be a topical point. Cry me a rive in other words.

BoredPerson
Jobs I've had:

-stripper: not an easy job. But it gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted, and it made me feel relatively sane, as the people I was surrounded by weren't even rational. And it taught me some stuff. Like how to stuff a knife in my bra, and that I am probably not an alcoholic.

-actuary: best job ever. After a year, I'm still on kind of a high about how, finally, I have found something that is the opposite of boring.

Sigh* only in America. No wonder the economy is in such tip top shape...

I dont want to go into a lot of detail, but I am in marketing. I market people. Which is great when Ive got good people, the rest of the time think:spin doctor. Whats worse is that it doesnt work unless I actually come to believe my own bu**sh*t.

lostsoulmate

I would have to say the worst job I have ever had was working for "the city" on the park scene.

Painting buildings, planting flowers, stocking bathroom supplies were the easy parts of the job...

cleaning up the things people do in public park restrooms was absolutely the most horrifying thing I have ever experienced

YUCK!!!! People do play with their poo. I mean truly get down and dirty and play with it.

Once we found a entire farm scene made out of poo and sticks. It is still an awful memory!!:sick:

I would have to say the worst job I have ever had was working for "the city" on the park scene.

Painting buildings, planting flowers, stocking bathroom supplies were the easy parts of the job...

cleaning up the things people do in public park restrooms was absolutely the most horrifying thing I have ever experienced

YUCK!!!! People do play with their poo. I mean truly get down and dirty and play with it.

Once we found a entire farm scene made out of poo and sticks. It is still an awful memory!!:sick:

And used condoms and needles!...according to my dentist who told me he worked for the parks board while putting himself through school.

lostsoulmate
And used condoms and needles!...according to my dentist who told me he worked for the parks board while putting himself through school.

Yeah, that is the usual stuff. The farm animals were over the top for me.:confused: