majors for the working world

What would be the most useful major to graduate with, and bring into the working world?

I am currently a graphic design major. I love the subject, the work, and the process. Art, and drawing are probably the areas where I feel most passionate about, but the more people I talk to, and the more I'm exposed to where the world is going, I'm not sure if I should change my major to better suit the future market of business and technology instead.

I know that it is really cliche to say this, but it really is true: If you love what you do, and have a natural motivation / push yourself very hard, you will find success.

I was at the same point when I was in college, and thought that I would never make a decent living as an artist. I chose instead to become a finance major and then started working in that field when I graduated. Ultimately after 5 years of that work: I didn't care what it took, I was going to return to my true passion of being an artist.

I wish I had not listened to the bad advice I had gotten in my youth, and not headed down the path that wasn't dear to my heart, in order to try to secure a solid paycheck. Luckily, I was smart enough to recognize that I would never be happy or truly fulfilled with what I was doing then, and made the change back to where I belong. It's been 13 years of hard (but very enjoyable) work, and I've reached all my dreams. I have all the material possessions I ever wanted (but those are just items) the most important thing I have, is a sense of true achievement and a love of what I do. Having that, is the greatest achievement we can strive for as working professionals.

What would be the most useful major to graduate with, and bring into the working world?

Business Administration, preferably a Master's Degree...otherwise, anything to do with medicine. I would say, however, that you're much better off in the long run doing something you enjoy than something you don't like so much but makes you tons of money. You're going to spend the bulk of your time working...why not do something you really like doing.

If you can't make up your mind, see an employment counselor or a career counselor at your school for information and advice...perhaps even testing to see what would make you happiest.

hotdancer2009

I'm going into health care because it seems like the best bet with the economy now. But I also enjoy it and think it's a perfect fit for me.

I would say health care.. Realistically, what are the job prospects for graphic design? I ask because I keep meeting people recently whom have that as their major..

One thing I do not like about our educational system is that it also revolves around sales and money.. Thousands and thousands of schools misrepresenting reality and turning out way more people with certain degrees than are needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Most of graphic design if not all that I've seen so far, is used for advertising and marketing. I want to stay in the design field, but I feel that the world is moving pretty fast and that maybe I should go a little bit further like motion graphics, interactive design or animation. I know that there is a lot of good use for websites in marketing new businesses, but once the site is up, I think most of the work will be updating. More and more people have been learning how to put up their own websites, and there have been more website generators.

I like the actuarial science idea, I just don't think I would be efficient to do something in that field, then again I'm just not very in depth in that right now.

My econ instructor also says that most higher paying jobs in the US are managerial, business, and finance, since a lot of the labour field is being cheaply outsourced.

For what it's worth, in light of the recession, I changed my plans a little, from teaching college to teaching high school. Same subject, slightly different age group, big jump in potential jobs and security, plus I'm more likely to get help with my grad school expenses.

I've been out of school for a few months now, taking a break in order to pay off some of my loans, and I'm working in business, which is as far from teaching English as it gets in terms of creativity and personal fulfillment. If I thought this was a forever job, I'd go crazy. Don't go into something you hate because it pays better; you'll end up paying with your energy and your happiness. Job security is fantastic, but not if you sell your soul for it.

Most of graphic design if not all that I've seen so far, is used for advertising and marketing. I want to stay in the design field, but I feel that the world is moving pretty fast and that maybe I should go a little bit further like motion graphics, interactive design or animation. I know that there is a lot of good use for websites in marketing new businesses, but once the site is up, I think most of the work will be updating. More and more people have been learning how to put up their own websites, and there have been more website generators.

I like the actuarial science idea, I just don't think I would be efficient to do something in that field, then again I'm just not very in depth in that right now.

My econ instructor also says that most higher paying jobs in the US are managerial, business, and finance, since a lot of the labour field is being cheaply outsourced.

An MBA would probably be your best bet.

So that you're not totally discouraged, a friend of my ex-H also went into graphic design. He ended up moving from firm to firm a few times until he found one that was substantial. Within five years, he was running the graphic arts department, as a VP.