Quick highlight of my job. I'm a sophomore in college. I worked at Applebee's from my junior year of highschool, up into the end of my senior year. I trained to be waiter on my own time and was unpaid. I worked over both breaks as a waiter. I decided to take summer courses and worked at my college, so I didn't return to Applebee's. I am coming back in a week, and was put on carside. I understand that I asked my job to come back, and did not return over the summer, but I told them 3 months ahead of time I wouldn't return until thanksgiving. Basically, I'm beyond over qualified for my job because I will be making no money and I've done everything possible to be waiting tables. Any advice? (I do understand managements perspective, but I think I should be waiting tables- hopefully they will let me pick up shifts).

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. welcome to the restaraunt business.. yuck.. I always hated it. My advice to you is simple. You have two options:

1. You need a job and anything is better than nothing even though the pay is crappy so keep carside and hope eventually you can pickup shifts and takover when someone else leaves.

2. You can talk to your manager.. tell him/her what you need (i.e. 4 waiting shifts minimum per week and then you can also do carside if needed....) and if he doesn't comply or make it happen (within a certain time frame that you choose, say two weeks, then you put in your notice.

Restaraunt jobs are a dime a dozen, you are experienced as a waitress and do not want to do togo, I am certain there are other restaraunts that would love to have you on thier team.. is there another Applebees nearby perhaps you could pick up shifts waiting there if they could let you/

Hope that helped.. good luck..