LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Interviewing People Older Than Me

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2008, 4:12 AM   #31
Established Member

Yeah that was a condescending/patronizing remark that older guy did to you, alphamale proves my point with him stating he has "more experience."

More experience generally does not secure a job position. See McCain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
no, its part of your job

it could be but not necessarily

i'm 43 and if i had to be interviewed by a 25 year old it would be a bit strange but i know a lot more than the interviewer does about everything so i would feel i have the upper hand....
betterthandead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 4:18 AM   #32
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthandead View Post
Yeah that was a condescending/patronizing remark that older guy did to you, alphamale proves my point with him stating he has "more experience."

More experience generally does not secure a job position. See McCain.
elections for public office are generally based more on emotion than experience....a job as an accountant or air traffic controller is not
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 2:49 PM   #33

I think it has to do with what age the interviewer is. It would be weird for a 20 something year old to interview a 40 year old, but if you're in you're in your mid-late 30s and you're interviewing a 50 year old, that would be fine, although in both instances, the age difference is about 20 years.

20 something year old are adults, but they are still considered as kids by poeple in their 40s and 50s.
signedin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 3:42 PM   #34

I use to work security, and at the age of 19, I became supervisor after only being there 1 year. Needless to say, almost everyone on my shift was older than me, and had been there a lot longer than I had. I'm not sure about your work environment, but I didn't treat them like they were under me.

They knew I was the boss, but we laughed and joked about age all the time. We talked about politics, religion, and whatever else. At the end of the day, it was more of a co-worker type of thing, than he's my boss type of thing.

You shouldn't feel uncomfortable about it, you'll probably do the same thing as you get older. I'm 26 now and find myself saying stuff like that to my 21 y/o girlfriend.
casanovacorner is offline   Reply With Quote