Interviewing People Older Than Me

At work I do a lot of the first interviews/weeding out of potential candidates. I don't really interview people for the very high end, highest pay positions but I often interview people much older than I am myself.

I think that a lot of the older people I interview are uncomfortable, maybe a little resentful to be interviewed by someone much younger. I've noticed that many get a little weird when they see me, and I've had a few crack jokes about my age, like "that was probably before you were born" when discussing past work history/education.

I'm not really insulted by this, just a little thrown off. This doesn't happen during quick phone interviews where people don't see me or know my age. I'm 25 so I'm not super young, I dress and act very professionally so I don't know what the issue is.

Should I be put off by this? Is this a sign of an employee with a bad attitude? Or am I reading too much in to it? Would anyone out there be uncomfortable in interviewing with someone much younger?

Should I be put off by this?

no, its part of your job

Is this a sign of an employee with a bad attitude?

it could be but not necessarily

Would anyone out there be uncomfortable in interviewing with someone much younger?

i'm 43 and if i had to be interviewed by a 25 year old it would be a bit strange but i know a lot more than the interviewer does about everything so i would feel i have the upper hand....

Allina, as a past manager of a temp agency, I also was in your shoes quite a few times.

First of all, remember that you're in the position that you're in usually (not always) because you have more education than the person you're interviewing.

Secondly, absolutely it's a red flag if they comment/remark on your age! It's rude and inappropriate as well as extremely unprofessional, condescending and generally just uncalled for. It shows the person doesn't have good judgment and if it were I, I'd never hire someone who makes those kinds of remarks.

• Author

i'm 43 and if i had to be interviewed by a 25 year old it would be a bit strange but i know a lot more than the interviewer does about everything so i would feel i have the upper hand....

Sometimes this is the vibe I get, and the funny thing is it's usually from the candidates that aren't too bright. I'm not taking a stab at you with this :laugh::p but many of the people who seemed almost insulted to be interviewing with me weren't exactly Mensa material :laugh:

And I just remembered something about you alpha, a long time ago you posted something where you complained about the "dumb, slutty" HR women :mad::mad::laugh:

It could be condescending, or it could be disconcerting to them to be interviewing with someone young enough to be their daughter. It may remind them that they've been working and interviewing for longer than you've been alive.

It's hard to tell what's going through their mind without knowing each person.

It could be condescending, or it could be disconcerting to them to be interviewing with someone young enough to be their daughter. It may remind them that they've been working and interviewing for longer than you've been alive.

It's hard to tell what's going through their mind without knowing each person.

I agree with what you're saying but in my opinion, it's still inappropriate for them to make any remarks that point out the age of the person interviewing you. In other words you can think whatever you wish but don't be dumb enough to voice it! It shows disrespect and lack of judgment in an interview setting.

Should I be put off by this? Is this a sign of an employee with a bad attitude? Or am I reading too much in to it? Would anyone out there be uncomfortable in interviewing with someone much younger?

Nah, you shouldn't be put off by this.

In regards to the employee with a bad attitude, well it depends on the context and how they bought it up.

I have no issues being interviewed by someone younger, been there done that a few times.

In interviewing, some aspects skew to the interviewee; like age, gender and other. As the interviewer there are rules you have to abide to, the interviewee, well they can pretty much say what they want. Age is something the interviewer can't really mention but the interviewee can.

Oh well...

Sometimes this is the vibe I get, and the funny thing is it's usually from the candidates that aren't too bright. I'm not taking a stab at you with this :laugh::p but many of the people who seemed almost insulted to be interviewing with me weren't exactly Mensa material :laugh:

i wouldn't be dumb enough to let you think or see what i was feeling about the situation...

I agree with what you're saying but in my opinion, it's still inappropriate for them to make any remarks that point out the age of the person interviewing you. In other words you can think whatever you wish but don't be dumb enough to voice it! It shows disrespect and lack of judgment in an interview setting.

I agree. They should save their observations for their friends or spouses afterwards.

Not everyone's smart about interviewing, though. Especially if they haven't done much of it, or not recently. I was about 25 when I worked at a legal staffing agency, and ran into this a bit. Thing is, those people may be perfectly good at their jobs even though they suck at interviewing. Just like people who are intelligent, but suck at taking tests.

Hey,

People are usually very nervous in interviews and they can say all kind of stupid things.

I wouldn't take any comments like that too seriously, maybe the guy was trying to be cute.

And probably it affects their confidence to see you, they'd feel more like a loser (on top of unemployed).

I've had a few crack jokes about my age, like "that was probably before you were born" when discussing past work history/education.

I think I would think twice about recommending someone that said such a thing to me, even in jest. It seems indicative of someone that could have a problem working for others.

When I owned my shop I employed women in their late 50's and early 60's... They always had a problem with me being younger and ALWAYS thought they knew how to run my business better than I could. They complained constantly. The disrespect got so bad I had to let them go.

You'll face some discrimination because of your age... but don't let it get to you. Just focus on how well you can do your job.

The flipside to this is that you're interviewing for management, who are probably older than you are.

Conceptually, if they pass all other skill tests and have the capabilities to interact with other employees in a team environment, what they think of you personally, shouldn't impact on your decision-making. Step back from personal opinion and view them as potential corporate assets or deficiencies.

burning 4 revenge

I remember 1983 pretty clearly. That was the year the White Sox lost to the Orioles in the Pennant

Im listening to song recorded the year before you were born. Its ok though. Ill outlive you. Ill outlive all of you

burning 4 revenge
The flipside to this is that you're interviewing for management, who are probably older than you are.

Conceptually, if they pass all other skill tests and have the capabilities to interact with other employees in a team environment, what they think of you personally, shouldn't impact on your decision-making. Step back from personal opinion and view them as potential corporate assets or deficiencies.

Do you remember 1983?

burning 4 revenge
A little but not much. I was 8. I remember my friends, some of the music and having fun.

Do you remember where you were on the day Allina was born?

Do you remember where you were on the day Allina was born?

I don't even know what day Allina was born but I can guarantee I wasn't interviewing older people that day! Were you interviewing older people that day?

burning 4 revenge
I don't even know what day Allina was born but I can guarantee I wasn't interviewing older people that day! Were you interviewing older people that day?

your question is absurd

I git married in '82 and had my firstborn in '83.

I've been interviewd by people younger than I, and the feeling I got was that they felt a little intimidated.

I was asked once - "Would you feel uncomfortable working for somebody younger than you?"

I replied -

"only as uncomfortable as they might feel working with someone older, under them."

Do you remember 1983?

I had the biggest hair in the universe... it was all about seeing who could tease the biggest bangs. Unfortunately, I never had a three way mirror- so I always neglected the back of my head. I was party on top and sides... but the back was flat. I think at the height of the big ozone depletion- I was measuring a bouffant of about 6 inches high.:eek:

Back to the question at hand- I'd have no issues interviewing with someone much younger than myself. I'd treat them with as much respect as someone my own age or older.... That's just the professional way to interview with someone!

Oh- and the highschool boys during the 80's sported the Mullet- business on top, party at the back... the hockey haircut... The shorter on top and longer at the back you could get...the more popular you were.:lmao: