sweet'n spicy

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some input on how to bring Zen principles into the work environment, so that every little thing doesn't get to me and so that I can let go of my "ego" issues and be a better team player. Specifically I want to work on just doing the best work I can do for my clients and students without being concerned about how much "respect" I am getting or how much status I have.

I made a new beginning by declining to participate in a conference that is held annually which I have always presented at. This was difficult because it meant that my name would be absent from a very widely circulated brochure. When the flyer comes out in a few weeks it will be a hard pill to swallow. But I need to devote more time to my personal life and less to preparing and stressing about writing papers or giving talks, which is not a necessary part of my job.

Any thoughts about how to "let go" and enjoy the basics of my work without getting into all these unnecessary ego trips and power plays?

I think meditation might help but I am not sure. Also maybe a "mantra" I can recite when I'm tempted to get into a fruitless power struggle.

Please respond if you have any thoughts. . .I hope someone out there can relate! (I'm a new poster here and need some encouragement). Thanks!

When the flyer comes out in a few weeks it will be a hard pill to swallow.

Sweet, I do know where you're coming from but it came to me that perhaps you could start by bringing some 'Zen' into that one thought...

How about, "When the flyer comes out it will be a relief to have written confirmation that I am free of having to write and give a talk this year"...or something like that ;).

Maybe the Universe is guiding you to find a new job...or even new career? Or, maybe the situation at work is Designed to help you get more clear and conscious about choosing if/when you engage in the power struggles?

There are some very cool downloads available in the audio archives, at masteringalchemy.com -- some of it may be "too out there" depending on your tastes, but a lot of useful info into understanding how our "ego issues" are intended to assist us to a permanent 'Zen' state (which he calls 4th Dimensional experiences.)

Best of luck.

Hi Sweet, One of the things that I have done is put a few pictures of the people who mean the most to me on my desk at work. When things are getting too hectic or whatever, I take a minute to look at those smiling faces and remind myself about what is really important in life. Not one of those people in those pictures cares about me because of what I do at work. Remembering that helps me a lot.

When I start to get caught up in something at work, I ask myself, "Will this matter next week, next month, next year?" If the answer is no, I move on (emotionally) and am able to still do a good job without letting "me" get in the way.

I hope this helps.