Another equal pay for equal work questions....different situation

mopar crazy

All the staff are expected to paint the walls next week at work. The agency wont hire it done to save $ which is BS and everyone knows it, even my supervisor has complained. They agency is paying us all our regular wages. There are some staff that make $2-$3 more an hour b/c of the regular job responsibilities. So, for example AB gets paid $12 an hour to paint b/c that is what her regular job pays, while BC gets paid $10 an hour b/c that is what her regular job pays. And the ones that get paid more, they refuse to get up on a ladder to do the 10 to 12 foot painting b/c they are scared of heights. Guess who gets stuck doing it, me, BS! NOT this time, hell no! They make $2 more an hour, they can climb their asses up on that ladder and paint. If they are expecting us to paint together then we should get equal pay in the painting. We are all doing the same job, why should we get paid less than the rest. I have been there 5 years longer than some of the staff but make less b/c my regular position pays less.

I hate this, I like my job, but it really pisses me off when they don't pay equally. I don't know how hard it is for pay roll to give us a temp equal pay but I honestly think they should. And if the ppl that make more money get less and bitch tough. Why should we make less for the same work?

littlekitty

I expect they're just doing it for the sake of ease, but it does seem unfair. :(

I can understand a difference in pay when you're all doing your usual roles, but if you are all carrying out the same role for a period of time, then the pay should surely reflect that. :mad:

• Author
mopar crazy
I expect they're just doing it for the sake of ease, but it does seem unfair. :(

I can understand a difference in pay when you're all doing your usual roles, but if you are all carrying out the same role for a period of time, then the pay should surely reflect that. :mad:

I agree, and that is why I'm not busting my ass this time. We just feel like we are being taken advantage of.

If anyone expects me to do the ladder work I am going to decline and say "I feel I have done enough w/ getting up on the ladder, someone else needs to do it."

MaxManwell

Your wages are hilariously low to begin with. I wouldn't make a big deal out of getting screwed over this once, it sounds like you're getting screwed everyday.

I'd just wear it if I were you.

littlekitty
Your wages are hilariously low to begin with. I wouldn't make a big deal out of getting screwed over this once, it sounds like you're getting screwed everyday.

Jeez, you're a breath of fresh air aren't you....! :confused:

Ever thought some people do their job for the love of the work and not the pay involved?

MaxManwell
Jeez, you're a breath of fresh air aren't you....! :confused:

Ever thought some people do their job for the love of the work and not the pay involved?

I'm guessing most of those people would be women...

curiousnycgirl

You are completely missing the point of differentiated compensation. It is not really based on what you are doing at that moment, but what the market will pay for your skills.

Therefore if you have certain certifications that allow you to perform a certain job, vs. other people in your office who may not have those certifications - then you can expect to be paid more money - even if you are painting the office one day.

It is all based on what your time is worth if you were diong what you are qualified to do. I know it doesn't make you feel any better - but that is the basis.

curiousnycgirl

Did it not dawn on you that at those levels $2 makes a really huge difference? Your comment is wrong on so many levels!

• Author
mopar crazy

Max, TBH, I rounded UP the pay we get so it's even worse than that.

I work for a grant funded program that helps fight against poverty. Kind of ironic when the place we work for puts us in poverty! But, I do love the work, all but this kind of crap. Anyone can tell you were are underpaid, big time, but that is what you get for working at a agency that is run by grants. I could choose to find a better paying job however, the benefits are pretty good and I do love it. It's not about the pay, it's what I do that I love. I didn't go into the best paying line of work but I love what I do.

• Author
mopar crazy
You are completely missing the point of differentiated compensation. It is not really based on what you are doing at that moment, but what the market will pay for your skills.

Therefore if you have certain certifications that allow you to perform a certain job, vs. other people in your office who may not have those certifications - then you can expect to be paid more money - even if you are painting the office one day.

It is all based on what your time is worth if you were doing what you are qualified to do. I know it doesn't make you feel any better - but that is the basis.

While I do somewhat see your POV I am not going to work any harder than the person that makes $2.00 more than me doing the same job, painting. I am going to go at a pace that gets the job done but I am not going to bust my ass like I did the last time. They earn more, they can do more. Sh@tty attitude to have but I am tired of being taken advantage of and not getting anything back from it.

curiousnycgirl
While I do somewhat see your POV I am not going to work any harder than the person that makes $2.00 more than me doing the same job, painting. I am going to go at a pace that gets the job done but I am not going to bust my ass like I did the last time. They earn more, they can do more. Sh@tty attitude to have but I am tired of being taken advantage of and not getting anything back from it.

Holy cow I totally agree. I think it is absurd that you are being told to paint the office. In coprorate america the thought would be if your office staff can not work for an entire day and not fall behind, perhaps you have too many staff to begin with. I face that battle all the time.

To be honest when I read your post my first (spiteful) thought was hey say you have asthma and not only cannot paint, but also cannot be in the office for at least 24 hours afterwards. Of course that would be completely unprofessional and would not bode well for your future in that office.

I guess you will just have to smack a smile on your face and get it done - but I would not be happy either.

MaxManwell

It is all based on what your time is worth if you were diong what you are qualified to do. I know it doesn't make you feel any better - but that is the basis.

What are you on about ? Wages are determined by scarcity.

Skills don't mean much more than dick and you could probably get paid more using dick, because not all that many women are willing to become prostitutes. What 'skills' does a hooker have ? but she'll make $200 an hour, plus.

S h o u l d y o u b e p a i d m o r e f o r p a i n t i n t h e f e n c e .

Your situation is so ridiculous I can't comment beyond say telling you to do what they tell you until you can find another job, because sounds it like you are getting bent over on a daily basis anyway. Once more for old times sake won't hurt; much.. haha.

Seriously, I know this is a fairly common thing but if you're willing to stay in that industry and put up with it then it is your own fault. Move on ! there are greener pastures ! :love::love::love::love: you, good luck.

• Author
mopar crazy

Skills don't mean much more than dick and you could probably get paid more using dick, because not all that many women are willing to become prostitutes. What 'skills' does a hooker have ? but she'll make $200 an hour, plus.

Your situation is so ridiculous I can't comment beyond say telling you to do what they tell you until you can find another job, because sounds it like you are getting bent over on a daily basis anyway. Once more for old times sake won't hurt; much.. haha.

Seriously, I know this is a fairly common thing but if you're willing to stay in that industry and put up with it then it is your own fault. Move on ! there are greener pastures ! :love::love::love::love: you, good luck.

If I want to stay in my same line of work there really isn't many "green pastures" out there in my area. In fact there is only one and their benefits are not as good. Sure, the position makes a little bit more $ but I have done some figuring and in the end, I actually make more in the job I am now. Maybe I shouldn't have went to college in what I wanted to do, but rather what pays more, right? I didn't get into this job for the money, I went into for the joy I get from doing it (and I am not talking about the painting).

curiousnycgirl

Wow you are a very bitter little person aren't you? What the market will pay for certain skills is the same argument as scarcity - it is just saying it in a nicer way. If there were a boatload of people with the same skills (ie less scarce) then the pay for those skills would be less.

I've got to tell you the negativity in your posts as well as the way you are deriding the OP really is neither helpful nor consistent with how this board operates. Why don't you just live by the adaghe that if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything at all.

• Author
mopar crazy

thanks cnycg, but I think Max will just come back w/ a "If you don't like my replies, don't post on a public forum" line. If his intentions are to piss me off it's not working.

MaxManwell
Wow you are a very bitter little person aren't you? What the market will pay for certain skills is the same argument as scarcity - it is just saying it in a nicer way. If there were a boatload of people with the same skills (ie less scarce) then the pay for those skills would be less.

I've got to tell you the negativity in your posts as well as the way you are deriding the OP really is neither helpful nor consistent with how this board operates. Why don't you just live by the adaghe that if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything at all.

No they're very different things