Considering a 2nd low-end job...but I don't have prior experience?

I have a job at a company already, however one day I walked by the starbucks at my job and the thought crossed my mind of applying and working there. Quickly I realized it was stupid because my co-workers could catch me working there.

I have other friends my age and older who are working part-time jobs just to get by...and I thought it would be fun to try something new and work for the hell of it even if it would not further my career, extra cash never hurt anyone.

A draw back of my full-time job is I start in the day late, so often I get off work late...only really leaving me with my leisure time on weekends. If I decided to get a weekend job, I would become a true workaholic.

The question is, how do I get the job if I don't have prior experience? I know many people who are in retail, or have a waiter job who have had prior experience...but I'm sure they started somewhere. Would places like barnes & nobles or starbucks accept entry-level people?

Lookingforward
I have a job at a company already, however one day I walked by the starbucks at my job and the thought crossed my mind of applying and working there. Quickly I realized it was stupid because my co-workers could catch me working there.

I have other friends my age and older who are working part-time jobs just to get by...and I thought it would be fun to try something new and work for the hell of it even if it would not further my career, extra cash never hurt anyone.

A draw back of my full-time job is I start in the day late, so often I get off work late...only really leaving me with my leisure time on weekends. If I decided to get a weekend job, I would become a true workaholic.

The question is, how do I get the job if I don't have prior experience? I know many people who are in retail, or have a waiter job who have had prior experience...but I'm sure they started somewhere. Would places like barnes & nobles or starbucks accept entry-level people?

As you're young, you might be better off in the long term if you took courses in your free time to increase your future earning potential, rather than using the time in "low end" jobs which will only increase your current cash flow slightly.

If not, then just because you can't apply to that starbucks doesn't mean you can't apply for another location.

• Author
As you're young, you might be better off in the long term if you took courses in your free time to increase your future earning potential, rather than using the time in "low end" jobs which will only increase your current cash flow slightly.

If not, then just because you can't apply to that starbucks doesn't mean you can't apply for another location.

Thanks for the reply, after doing research on the hourly wage of those jobs I decided my time should probably be spent doing something more worthwhile. Maybe take up an internship elsewhere or going back to dealing with crazy clients in freelancing.

Do you have any recommendations on what is available I could do on weekends?

Lookingforward
Thanks for the reply, after doing research on the hourly wage of those jobs I decided my time should probably be spent doing something more worthwhile. Maybe take up an internship elsewhere or going back to dealing with crazy clients in freelancing.

Do you have any recommendations on what is available I could do on weekends?

you mean courses wise or job wise ? what's your current career ?

Gordon's Right

Starbucks is one of the best places to work part time, as they give you benefits, many businesses only offer that to full time employees.

You could consider being a waiter, as on weekends you could pull over $100 for a 4-5 hour shift. Of course, many restaurants want you to work more than just weekends.

Other than that, try your hand at an internet business.

Gordon's Right

Oh yeah, and many many places like Starbucks and nice restaurants, will hire someone with no experience as long as you are presentable, well spoken, and show that you are a quick learner.