Laid off 4 summer but expect 2 come in one day...can I do this?

mopar crazy

I work in the education field. We are laid off for the summer. My supervisor contacted me and told me that in three weeks we need to come in and paint the classrooms (that were just painted last year). She said it's not mandatory that we come in. Well, my son has drivers ed class (that we paid a lot of money for) and it takes place that week. He will NOT miss any days of DE unless he is really ill and can't make it. I live 20 miles one way from school and work. W/ gas as high as it is it doesn't pay for me to take ds home, then come back to work again, then back home again. Since it isn't mandatory do I have a right to tell my supervisor I can stay until 10:45 but then I have to leave b/c my son needs to be picked up at 11:00 from Drivers Ed. I could work for 2.5 hours but that is it.

Trialbyfire

Aren't you union, mopar? If so, check with your shop steward for the terms and conditions of your agreement.

• Author
mopar crazy
Aren't you union, mopar? If so, check with your shop steward for the terms and conditions of your agreement.

Nope, no union. I work for a grant funded preschool.

Trialbyfire
Nope, no union. I work for a grant funded preschool.

Then since it's a non-mandatory attendance requirement and you get paid solely for the hours you work, I would think you have the right to define your hours. Also, if you're concerned, you could ask to attend on a different day since you have something going on that day already. I think this is a reasonable alternative for any employer. He/she might just tell you to forget it but thanks for the offer of an alternate solution.

If you're not getting paid at all, you have every right not to attend anything you don't choose to attend or define the hours of free charitable work.

• Author
mopar crazy
Then since it's a non-mandatory attendance requirement and you get paid solely for the hours you work, I would think you have the right to define your hours. Also, if you're concerned, you could ask to attend on a different day since you have something going on that day already. I think this is a reasonable alternative for any employer. He/she might just tell you to forget it but thanks for the offer of an alternate solution.

If you're not getting paid at all, you have every right not to attend anything you don't choose to attend or define the hours of free charitable work.

Thanks Tbf, that is what I was thinking myself. She said we would get paid but big deal, we get unemployment too. Whatever we make in wages they take off in unemployment.

I will inform her that I can only work those few hours unless the DE teacher can have ds drive home and that will give him some highway time in. I will ask her if I can come in another time and paint instead. If she gets pissy I will tell her I am sorry but I had this already planned and work had no conflicts w/ it.