Motivating others in the workplace

Storyrider

Have there been times you needed buy-in or contribution from a peer or colleague in order to complete your own job? How did you encourage them to deliver?

Tell your stories here.

Mustang Sally

Story -

My story related to this would be about my almost OM. Somehow, I think this would not be an appropriate tale to tell, out here in public!

:laugh:

What is your situation that you are asking this question? Is it with your new job, I'm thinking?

• Author
Storyrider

Hi Mustang!

Yes. Part of my job will involve motivating peers to contribute to an ongoing project in a timely fashion. Just thought others might have some ideas.

Trialbyfire

What seems to work is to create a team environment, where there are clear lines of responsibility, timelines associated to each of the responsibilities with milestones and that everyone knows what the expected end result will be.

Follow up status meetings also help. There will be times where certain parties will need to be helped, due to overload. If it's consistently the same parties, time to look at why they're always overloaded...

Tell them if they don't do it, then you will bust their ass.

It comes down to a "what's in it for me?" scenario. If it's not money or fame, then it's a really hard sell. Recognition might be a useful carrot to dangle, but it's really just watered-down fame. Will doing this make my life easier in the long run? Hahahahaha, sure.

Nobody, and by that I mean not even me, wants a busted-up ass. A simple threat goes a long, long way. Especially if you have pictures of the asses that you have previously busted up.

• Author
Storyrider
What seems to work is to create a team environment, where there are clear lines of responsibility, timelines associated to each of the responsibilities with milestones and that everyone knows what the expected end result will be.

Follow up status meetings also help. There will be times where certain parties will need to be helped, due to overload. If it's consistently the same parties, time to look at why they're always overloaded...

So, setting up a predictable framework seems like the way to get started.

I will only be a peer, remember, so I won't have any control over their workload. I will just be responsible for requesting and collecting their contributions. Some will be timely and some will let it get right down to the wire.

• Author
Storyrider
Tell them if they don't do it, then you will bust their ass.

It comes down to a "what's in it for me?" scenario. If it's not money or fame, then it's a really hard sell. Recognition might be a useful carrot to dangle, but it's really just watered-down fame. Will doing this make my life easier in the long run? Hahahahaha, sure.

Nobody, and by that I mean not even me, wants a busted-up ass. A simple threat goes a long, long way. Especially if you have pictures of the asses that you have previously busted up.

Ah, so I should rely on my tough-guy persona and my imposing physical presence?

Do they have a company gym?

Maybe you can cite the benefits this project will bring to all players. (All of work is a stage, and the employees are merely cube-dwelling players.) If there are no tangible (direct or indirect) benefits, then you might be able to get them to salute the company flag.

I really think the gym is your only hope.

• Author
Storyrider
Do they have a company gym?

Maybe you can cite the benefits this project will bring to all players. (All of work is a stage, and the employees are merely cube-dwelling players.) If there are no tangible (direct or indirect) benefits, then you might be able to get them to salute the company flag.

I really think the gym is your only hope.

:lmao:

I may have some dominatrix features I can employ?? Hmm. Maybe not.

Or, I have some appropriate footwear that I could supplement with other matching accessories.

Maybe a jar of M&M's would be the way to go.

Maybe a jar of M&M's would be the way to go.

That has a real chance of working if you can lock them up. And you don't eat them all. So, basically no chance.

• Author
Storyrider
What BS did you spin at the interview? Obviously they bought into it.

My plan so far is to utilize my excellent interpersonal skills, my willingness to interact with others at all levels of the managerial chain, and my ability to respond flexibly to a coworker's individual communication style.

• Author
Storyrider

OK, I think my real plan is to start out asking their advice about how to improve the system and make it run more smoothly. Sort of give them a feeling of stewardship over the whole process.

My plan so far is to utilize my excellent interpersonal skills, my willingness to interact with others at all levels of the managerial chain, and my ability to respond flexibly to a coworker's individual communication style.

That just might work. Where do the Enema M'S fit in? Jerking the managerial chain can also help to move things along. Choosing the right end to pull is the key, of course.

• Author
Storyrider
make it run more smoothly.

Where do the Enema M'S fit in?

Great minds think alike. :cool:

OK, I think my real plan is to start out asking their advice about how to improve the system and make it run more smoothly. Sort of give them a feeling of stewardship over the whole process.

Sounds good. After a good, productive bitch session, you should all go out for ice cream, to cool off.

Trialbyfire
So, setting up a predictable framework seems like the way to get started.

I will only be a peer, remember, so I won't have any control over their workload. I will just be responsible for requesting and collecting their contributions. Some will be timely and some will let it get right down to the wire.

This is a good way to start but as you mentioned below, according them some form of ownership while creating the above framework, can only encourage buy in. Keep in mind you'll get conflicting suggestions which you may have to veto, due to inhouse rules and regulations. As long as you don't lose control over the end result, it sounds like you have a starting point.

You'll also find nitpickers aka detail-oriented individuals who lose sight of the big picture. ;)

, according them some form of ownership while creating the above framework, can only encourage buy in.

Just make it clear to them that if the ship goes down, then they won't (necessarily) be going down with it.

Keep in mind you'll get conflicting suggestions which you may have to

Post on LS in the case of ties?

I think it's important to decide whose side to favour based on important criteria like how cute they are. And collect as much office gossip as you can. This, potentially, could give you valuable leverage.

I am often relying on others to get projects done, not only as a peer, but often as a student imposing deadlines on professors.

I find dealing with peers to be trickier. Professors usually know the game, or will show me more respect. Students are usually still figuring out the game, and don't understand what coordinating project involves.

I would say, one thing, make your own boundaries clear and don't expect them to know what your work as coordinator involves. I am learning to let them know what it implies on my side, from past mistakes. (Say deadline is a certain day, it means tell them I need to have all texts in by the day before so I can do all the necessary work - now I tell them this. It has the added advantage of giving the stragglers an extra day of leeway).

Team work is important. If somebody is really struggling with something, in my experience it usually is the consequence of perfectionism (at least in my field). Try to spot the people who have a tendency to always hand stuff in late (and often not so well done) and, if you can, try to have a conversation with them a week before deadline to offer support and brainstorm ideas.

Last but not least, be comfortable with holding some authority. You are a peer, but since you are obviously coordinating a project, you will need to assert certain boundaries. There is a way to do that so that you compromise neither your ego nor theirs: make it about work and not about personalities.

Oh and humor always work. I often threaten to start a harassment campaign if I don't hear from them soon. That usually works to at least get me a heads up on when they will be able to hand in the work.

Trialbyfire
Just make it clear to them that if the ship goes down, then they won't (necessarily) be going down with it.
That's the beauty of buy-in. The more emphatic you are about wanting to do something a certain way, the more ownership you take. Shyte falls down the line.

I think it's important to decide whose side to favour based on important criteria like how cute they are. And collect as much office gossip as you can. This, potentially, could give you valuable leverage.

Wow, thanks for providing the male perspective of priorities in the workplace. :laugh:

• Author
Storyrider
I am often relying on others to get projects done, not only as a peer, but often as a student imposing deadlines on professors.

I find dealing with peers to be trickier. Professors usually know the game, or will show me more respect. Students are usually still figuring out the game, and don't understand what coordinating project involves.

I would say, one thing, make your own boundaries clear and don't expect them to know what your work as coordinator involves. I am learning to let them know what it implies on my side, from past mistakes. (Say deadline is a certain day, it means tell them I need to have all texts in by the day before so I can do all the necessary work - now I tell them this. It has the added advantage of giving the stragglers an extra day of leeway).

Team work is important. If somebody is really struggling with something, in my experience it usually is the consequence of perfectionism (at least in my field). Try to spot the people who have a tendency to always hand stuff in late (and often not so well done) and, if you can, try to have a conversation with them a week before deadline to offer support and brainstorm ideas.

Last but not least, be comfortable with holding some authority. You are a peer, but since you are obviously coordinating a project, you will need to assert certain boundaries. There is a way to do that so that you compromise neither your ego nor theirs: make it about work and not about personalities.

Those are great tips Kamille, thanks!!! :)

You make a really good point that although I don't have authority over them, I do have authority over the project which is mandated from on high. Excellent.

I do have authority over the project which is mandated from on high.

Be sure to proof-read your sentences rigorously. We don't want any of them backhandedly hinting at substance abuse, or anything similarly exciting.

• Author
Storyrider
Be sure to proof-read your sentences rigorously. We don't want any of them backhandedly hinting at substance abuse, or anything similarly exciting.

What mistake did I make?

What mistake did I make?

Just be confident that you got it right, even when you didn't. History has a short memory.