Should I stay or should I go?

Heavenly55

I am an assistant to my boss but you would never know it being there is 0 level of communication between us. I should have ran the other way after I started this job and butted heads with my boss the first week due to him completely falseifying the job description during my interview and when I began my training it was completely different. Since I live on my own and needed money I was stuck going back to his job. Me and him pretty much only speak when he needs something done and most of the time if I go in to ask him a question or such he continues to look at his computer while speaking to me lol. I've witnessed alot of his shady behavior including talking about me to others but he thinks I can't hear him. I got a great annual review though and a good bonus but I have pretty much nothing to do all day. When I first started I went in for a good 3 months requesting more work and either never got it or got something that would take me an hr, if that to complete. He too has his golden boy who I think is the office rat and he goes in and reports to him what everyone his doing. In my office you have to kiss behind and laugh at their condescending jokes in order to "get in" with the higher ups. I keep to myself and since I'm not into office politics and schmoozing I'm not exactly miss popularity in my office. My advice is leave. It's not going to get any better and you can't change office politics. The only reason I am still there is bc this is only a "for now" job and everyone knows I will be leaving within the year.

cherrysoda

Thanks Heavenly55 I was leaning in the direction to leave. The other day I heard the boss call 'Golden Boy' brilliant three times. He was present for one of those occurrences. I am sort of friends with him to 'keep an eye' on him however it's making me sick because his cellphone will ring and he'll say it's our boss (I really wonder if it is her anyway). It was a similar situation with our prior boss but she finally saw through his 'shtick' and that's when the problems between them really started and then she was let go. I almost want to tell the boss how she should keep her overwhelming admiration of 'Golden Boy' to herself when I'm around. I'm not impressed because I know how much of a jerk he can be.

• 2 weeks later...
Gordon's Right

If it is really stressing you out, then you should go.

Otherwise, hang in there as you are already planning on leaving soon enough.

it really depends on you, if you know you can find something better than it is better to leave but if you know you can't find a better job than I would advise you stay and see how you can make the best of things. Either way if you are not happy try to plot your way out of the job and find something you like

Thanks, things have gotten a little better lately. I've been able to get the boss' ear a little more lately and 'Golden Boy' hasn't been in the office as much. I see opportunity here. I've also learned in the meantime there are a couple of coworkers who think quite highly of me and it turns out I'm going to be working with them on a project that's just starting. (Maybe leading to a way out of having to deal with 'Golden Boy' as much as I have been!)

I'm still going to look around though. Now it seems that I have the luxury of taking my time.;)