Asking about pay wage....

I am currently looking for a full-time job, I haven't worked in over a year because I have been a stay-at-home-mom. Now, my H and I are likely going to be getting divorced, so I need to find a job where I know I will make enough to support myself and my son. I am looking for administrative work, but my question is this: Is it terribly rude to ask about pay before I even do an interview? If I wasn't going to be a single mom, I wouldn't be so picky, but I want to rule out any jobs where the wage is not going to be high enough for me. That way, I'm not wasting my time, or the employers' time, with unnecessary interviewing. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

curiousnycgirl

If you are working with a recruiting agency then it is fine. If you are speaking directly with the company doing the hiring, I would suggest you not ask that question.

• Author
If you are working with a recruiting agency then it is fine. If you are speaking directly with the company doing the hiring, I would suggest you not ask that question.

Thanks for the advice! I had a feeling this was the case.

curiousnycgirl

My pleasure - reality is you should really just go on all interviews. If they decide you are THE ONE they will find the $'s regardless of what they initaally wanted to pay.

Good luck!

• Author
My pleasure - reality is you should really just go on all interviews. If they decide you are THE ONE they will find the $'s regardless of what they initaally wanted to pay.

Good luck!

Thanks again! That's good advice.

Now if only I could get some interviews....lol :confused:

MakeLemonade

I don't think a question along the lines of what is the pay range would be out of line - you need to know if the possible salary of the job meets your needs before you waste time interviewing. In my past job searches, most ranges are 5-10k wide in admin jobs anyway - the pay isn't that great to start with so only so much room for play.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with wanting to know something about, what in most cases, is the most important detail about the job you will be applying for before you apply for it. Believe me, the HR people don't want to waste time with people who are looking for more compensation than they are prepared to offer either.

However, I also agree, that if you are the "one" they want - they will pay more than what they originally planned, if need be. Good luck Daisygirl - I keep up with your other threads too. I am glad you are taking these steps to become more independent. It should do wonders for your confidence and self-esteem :)

• Author
I don't think a question along the lines of what is the pay range would be out of line - you need to know if the possible salary of the job meets your needs before you waste time interviewing. In my past job searches, most ranges are 5-10k wide in admin jobs anyway - the pay isn't that great to start with so only so much room for play.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with wanting to know something about, what in most cases, is the most important detail about the job you will be applying for before you apply for it. Believe me, the HR people don't want to waste time with people who are looking for more compensation than they are prepared to offer either.

However, I also agree, that if you are the "one" they want - they will pay more than what they originally planned, if need be. Good luck Daisygirl - I keep up with your other threads too. I am glad you are taking these steps to become more independent. It should do wonders for your confidence and self-esteem :)

OMG, you are all so awesome :) Don't make me cry LOL

But seriously, thanks so much for the support! I'll keep you updated when/if I find something.