I got the job!!!

Lauriebell82

So I wanted to update everyone that I went for my interview today and they offered me the job at the end of the interview! Problem is that the pay is kind of low, but considering I'm not even out of grad school yet and don't have much experience, I don't know how much more I could get. And considering I don't have loans to pay off and am going to save money living with my boyfriend I will have a considerable amount of money left over. Its exactly the job that I wanted, an outpatient addictions therapist as well.

I haven't heard from any other place I've applied yet but I'm wondering if I should hold out for another job. I know I have another 2 months before I have a masters degree so I'm grateful that I even got a job offer this soon..because I didn't expect to. I'm debating on what to do right now..decisions, decisions...

If you're just getting started then the fact that it's exactly what you wanted is much more important than the salary. You can always negotiate raises later and the experience is going to be worth more in the long run.

Congrats. :)

Congratulations LB!!

As for the salary, have you researched how much entry level jobs in this area pay? I would check out the statistics to see how good of a deal you can get.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Congratulations LB!!

As for the salary, have you researched how much entry level jobs in this area pay? I would check out the statistics to see how good of a deal you can get.

Thanks Allina! Well, I mean I acknowledge that social service jobs don't pay so hot, even with a masters degree. I just thought I would AT LEAST make in the $30,000-40,000 range. In looking at other jobs the range looks a tad higher, not by much but maybe 3 thousand dollars more a year. And this work environment seems very nice and the two people I interviewed with seemed like they would be good supervisors. And they are willing to hold the job for me until I graduate which is awesome. And what I'm afraid of happening is that I wont hear back from places until closer to my graduation date and I really don't want to keep these people waiting around to hear my answer. Ugh, I don't know what to do.

Thanks Allina! Well, I mean I acknowledge that social service jobs don't pay so hot, even with a masters degree. I just thought I would AT LEAST make in the $30,000-40,000 range. In looking at other jobs the range looks a tad higher, not by much but maybe 3 thousand dollars more a year. And this work environment seems very nice and the two people I interviewed with seemed like they would be good supervisors. And they are willing to hold the job for me until I graduate which is awesome. And what I'm afraid of happening is that I wont hear back from places until closer to my graduation date and I really don't want to keep these people waiting around to hear my answer. Ugh, I don't know what to do.

I'm not sure what the cost of living is like in your area, but either way I would not accept a salary below 35K. You have a Masters, public service or not you can make more money. I know that money isn't everything but at 30K a year you will bring home under 2K monthly. I suggest looking on craig's list to see what range positions are advertised in and googling something like "salary calculator" to find a site where you can find out your market value.

• Author
Lauriebell82
I'm not sure what the cost of living is like in your area, but either way I would not accept a salary below 35K. You have a Masters, public service or not you can make more money. I know that money isn't everything but at 30K a year you will bring home under 2K monthly. I suggest looking on craig's list to see what range positions are advertised in and googling something like "salary calculator" to find a site where you can find out your market value.

Yeah, I was expecting a lot higher than that. I could probably get a bachelors level job as like a caseworker or something for 28k. So that's why I'm very disappointed. I looked at some of the salaries for positions and they go anywhere from 30-40 k. And that's a "bachelors required, masters preferred" position. So I really think I might be able to get higher than that.

Yeah, I was expecting a lot higher than that. I could probably get a bachelors level job as like a caseworker or something for 28k. So that's why I'm very disappointed. I looked at some of the salaries for positions and they go anywhere from 30-40 k. And that's a "bachelors required, masters preferred" position. So I really think I might be able to get higher than that.

I would suggest applying for a wide variety of jobs, some that seem out of reach, because you just never know what you can get. Explore everything your field and degree has to offer. Since you still have some time until you start working you can shop around for the best deal possible.

LB has a very specific field she wants to work in, and she is just starting out (there's a wealth of experience to be had before LB can be out on her own, she needs a lot of direct supervision). Unfortunately, mental health IS one of the lowest paid fields there is - regardless of how much experience you have. Just ask Krytie.

For example, for less than one year's experience (which is where LB is), the average salary for a social worker is just over $28L: http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Social_Worker/Salary

After 20 years experience, it doesn't get much better.

In Washington State, the average hourly rate for a substance abuse therapist is just over $17.00: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_wa.htm#b21-0000

And here's the chart reflecting salaries in PA:

http://www.cbsalary.com/salary_chart.aspx?specialty=Clinical+Therapist&cty=Johnstown&sid=PA&kw=Clinical+Therapist&jn=&edu=&tid=3034

This is a field one chooses because they want to make a difference in people's lives. They can't be motivated by money.

• Author
Lauriebell82
I would suggest applying for a wide variety of jobs, some that seem out of reach, because you just never know what you can get. Explore everything your field and degree has to offer. Since you still have some time until you start working you can shop around for the best deal possible.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to keep applying places. I just only heard back from that one and I'm concerned that I'm not going to get any other interviews and be stuck with no job when I graduate. I know I don't have a lot of experience and all, but I didnt go to grad school for 2.5 years to make that much.

• Author
Lauriebell82

Salary wizard says that the base pay for a chemical dependency counselor is $35,000. It says the lowest is $33,115 in the 10th percentile. Hell I would even take $33k a year!

Salary wizard says that the base pay for a chemical dependency counselor is $35,000. It says the lowest is $33,115 in the 10th percentile. Hell I would even take $33k a year!

Well if you haven't signed anything yet you can try negotiating salary with the company that made you the offer.

Is there a difference between a counselor and a therapist in this field? I would aim high LB, the worst that will happen is they will offer you less than you asked for. Don't sign anything yet so you can always back out while having the option if nothing else turns up. Are you interested in working strictly for a non-profit drug rehab organization?

• Author
Lauriebell82
Is there a difference between a counselor and a therapist in this field? I would aim high LB, the worst that will happen is they will offer you less than you asked for. Don't sign anything yet so you can always back out while having the option if nothing else turns up. Are you interested in working strictly for a non-profit drug rehab organization?

The terms are used interchangably usually. Usually "therapists" are masters level and "counselors" are bachelors or associates. At my internship they refer to us as therapists. So I think it depends on the establishment.

I have applied for a lot of other jobs, I'm open to pretty much anything. I do have a strong interest in the mental health/addictions population which is mainly where I applied. Maybe I should "branch out" though. The position I applied for, the salary range was like $28,000-$34,000 and they offered me 28 k. The guy was like "we can start you out at this pay rate, is that ok? I wanted to be like NOOO!!!!!

The terms are used interchangably usually. Usually "therapists" are masters level and "counselors" are bachelors or associates. At my internship they refer to us as therapists. So I think it depends on the establishment.

I have applied for a lot of other jobs, I'm open to pretty much anything. I do have a strong interest in the mental health/addictions population which is mainly where I applied. Maybe I should "branch out" though. The position I applied for, the salary range was like $28,000-$34,000 and they offered me 28 k. The guy was like "we can start you out at this pay rate, is that ok? I wanted to be like NOOO!!!!!

I thought that therapist may suggest a more advanced position than counselor, looks like it does. Have you applied for any positions with private practices? Your salary depends so much on what type of company you work for. When they asked if 28K was ok you should have said that you were looking to start at at least 32K or something, the negotiation goes both ways. Don't be afraid to ask for what you're worth. Again, I don't want to stress the money issue too much, other aspects of your job matter too but you want to take something where you will be happy all around.

• Author
Lauriebell82
I thought that therapist may suggest a more advanced position than counselor, looks like it does. Have you applied for any positions with private practices? Your salary depends so much on what type of company you work for. When they asked if 28K was ok you should have said that you were looking to start at at least 32K or something, the negotiation goes both ways. Don't be afraid to ask for what you're worth. Again, I don't want to stress the money issue too much, other aspects of your job matter too but you want to take something where you will be happy all around.

Yeah I didn't really know if I should have tried to negotiate or not. Could I still do that? I mean the job sounds good, if it were paid like 5 or 6 k more a year I would take it.

Did you even try negotiating a higher salary? I mean, after I gave my credentials I was once able to negotiate a 20k increase in pay from what they were origionaly offering. Don't be afraid to ask for the ammount of money you need an justify it to them why they should pay you.

Yeah I didn't really know if I should have tried to negotiate or not. Could I still do that?

You can if you haven't signed anything.

Is this thing on?? *taps mic* :D

I wrote a big 'ole long post about this, but it hasn't shown up. Hmmmmm.

Basically, I researched this and found that someone starting off in PA as a substance abuse counselor would make around $28K. A person with 20 years experience would make around $41K. This isn't a profession you choose to go into for the moola.

The research is all over the internet, LB:

This one says the starting salary is $18K: http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/profiles/facts.asp?careerID=172

This one says median range salaries for substance abuse counselors were $25,840 to $40,130 per year. http://www.allpsychologyschools.com/faqs/counseling-substance.php

The most reliable stats, of course, are from the DOL:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes211011.htm

There, the mean hourly wage is $17.28 ($34,560 per year with 2 weeks vacation).

Entry level positions of substance abuse therapists in FL are $20-30K: http://flahec.org/hlthcareers/SUBST.HTM

The growth rate for your salary over time doesn't improve dramatically:

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Substance_Abuse_Counselor/Salary

If you're working for a nonprofit or a government program, you're not going to have much latitude in negotiating your STARTING salary as a brand new therapist.

• Author
Lauriebell82

Wow, thanks SG! Actually I have looked at few of those sites myself. I know residential pays on the lower end, but doing outpatient I should be making at least 30 something. And yeah I know I didn't go into the field for the money. I guess it just kind of shocked me that the starting salary there was so low. It's also a private organization though, so maybe thats why the jobs pay lower. Maybe I should have tried to negotiate on the salary but considering I don't have all that much experience aside from having a masters degree, and I don't have my liscense yet I'm sure thats why they didn't offer me more.

I don't plan on being a counselor forever, once I get some experience under my belt I want to do other things like be a clinical director or more of a supervisory role rather than just do therapy. Those positions pay higher as well. Plus the burn out rate for counselors is real high, so I don't think I'd want to do that for 20 some years.

I'm a little obsessed with salaries lately. :)

I didn't negotiate my starting salary at my first firm either. I know they balked at 1st year associates who tried to negotiate with them as well. Many employers have a tendency to think, "You have NO qualifications other than your degree - what makes you more special than your colleagues???" and will move on to someone who wants the job for what it pays, ya know?

Wait until you have some experience under your belt, something that shows them you are invaluable to them and they can't let you go....

Citizen Erased

If the salary was between 28-34k, when they said are you okay with this, you should have said no! If you have said yes then it looks rude and unprofessional to go back and say "uh, I have re-thought the salary and want more" ;)

I agree with SG. Even if you are only there for a year, at least you will have the experience to find a higher paying position. Of course if something else comes your way now, take it! You haven't signed anything yet so it isn't set in stone. It's all well and good for me to say you should stay, but in the end if you aren't happy then it is pointless you being there.

Good Luck :)

• Author
Lauriebell82
If the salary was between 28-34k, when they said are you okay with this, you should have said no! If you have said yes then it looks rude and unprofessional to go back and say "uh, I have re-thought the salary and want more" ;)

I agree with SG. Even if you are only there for a year, at least you will have the experience to find a higher paying position. Of course if something else comes your way now, take it! You haven't signed anything yet so it isn't set in stone. It's all well and good for me to say you should stay, but in the end if you aren't happy then it is pointless you being there.

Good Luck :)

Yeah, I was afraid to say no because I thought they would probably not offer me the job, just like SG said. I don't have much experience other than a degree so I'm guessing that they probably aren't going to offer me the high end of the deal. This job will be good experience for me and it will get my foot in the door which is what I really do want to do. Im just bummed that I worked my butt off in grad school for 2.5 years when I could have had a full time job working as a caseworker or something. Although then I would have had to go back for my masters anyway...