My Boss called me out in front of everyone!

Our receptionist/my assistant was fired in December and since then I have been doing the job of two people. Needless to say things have been very busy, yet people assume I have nothing to do. I don't sit down with my boss everyday to go over what I have been working on and now I see that I must.

We have 65 employees in our office and I have to cater and clean up after all of them. They leave soda cans around, bowls and cups int he sink for me to clean up (three kicthens) I have to walk over and put sodas in the fridge, new papertowl rolls, change their light bulbs, etc. People will actually e-mail me, my light is out, we are almost out of soda's over here. Then I walk over and there is at least four of each brand of sodas, maybe one has one or two left. And the cases of sodas are seriously 20 feet away.

I have to book all the travel, like for the 15 people traveling this week, take meeting notes, schedule the handyman, call for a carpet quote, confirm all of my bosses appointments and set them up, do expense reports, reconcile my Amex for charges, go pick up things for the office, answer all the phones, assist with purchasing things, etc. Yet people assume I do nothing when the soda runs low.

So today in our ops meeting with all of our managers my boss, the CEO says:

"I should have mentioned this to X (me) before hand, we have a new receptionist starting but I want everyone to know that at this office and xoffice (sister office) things have been looking really shabby. I had customers in last week and when I took them to the conference room there were empty soda can's left in there, the boards (white boards) were not clean and there was a chair that does not match the others left in there. Also, we are running low on coffee mugs." Followed by: "It's everyones job to make sure the offices are cleaned."

Ummm, expect everyone thinks it's my job ONLY so this is just a reflection of my job and how I have been doing. I even got a lower review this Q because things have not been kept up as much as they were in the past. Well, that's because I am doing the job of two people!!!!

I am so pissed, hurt and embarrassed.

So, this is a child care facility? :D

Could you post your job description as shown in your employment contract? Does it include janitorial duties and compensation?

You likely have the same problem I do. You value a clean, organized space and apparently work with a bunch of slobs. You made the choice to "help out" the company and people now take that for granted. Suggest to the CEO at your exit interview that he provide better leadership in the area of personal responsibility for the workspace and/or hire an employee specifically for such a task, with commensurate pay.

I am sooo glad I'm self-employed :)

• Author

Yeah, it seems like it. It is my job to make sure the offices look presentable,, but it's hard to keep up with 65 slobs. It's like I have to wait until a conference ends, if I have nothing else to do so I can run in and clean it up before the next conference starts. Example; one of the doors to our suites is not closing all the way. I had two people come look at it with in two weeks (it's been like this for three weeks) they can only fix it temporarily in the mean time I had called a company to come out at fix it. So when I get told for the 10th time that the door does not close properly I guess my response should be that I will drop the travel I am booking for the VP of Sales and I will go stand at the door to make sure it closes because the sign I posted asking people to make sure it closes it not working!

You know, I'd be concerned about safety issues in the workplace. Nothing like having a timely fire/health/safety inspection ;)

If you're here mainly to vent, have at it. I imagine you have plenty of company :)

justpassingthrough
So today in our ops meeting with all of our managers my boss, the CEO says:

"I should have mentioned this to X (me) before hand, we have a new receptionist starting but I want everyone to know that at this office and xoffice (sister office) things have been looking really shabby. I had customers in last week and when I took them to the conference room there were empty soda can's left in there, the boards (white boards) were not clean and there was a chair that does not match the others left in there. Also, we are running low on coffee mugs." Followed by: "It's everyones job to make sure the offices are cleaned."

It appears to me that your boss knows everyone is responsible for making the mess. I'm pretty sure he knows you're cleaning it up, too. I think he's just put everyone on notice - and I don't believe he meant you.

Have you thought of taping a note on the door, telling people to make sure to close it behind themselves?

Oh, those dry erase boards? That would be the PERFECT place to put a note. Something like: "9:00 - 11:00 Conference Attendees, Please leave this room as you found it. The next conference begins at 12:00. xxxooo"

I would so do it.

It is my job to make sure the offices look presentable

There is a big difference between keeping up on the repairs and maintenance needed - things fixed, carpets cleaned, lights and ballasts changed, etc. -and providing ongoing maid service for 60+ people. Are you sure that the latter is part of your job description?

I work in a small office of 15 people. While we have a janitorial company that comes in once a week, we also rotate the pick-up duties between all of us, me (the boss) included. Everyone has their week and, knowing your turn is coming soon, it helps keep all on their toes.

Mr. Lucky

• Author

It's the job of the receptionist (to an extent) but since we did not have one for almost three months it become my job. When I say to an extent, I don't feel and I am sure my boss would agree that it's not my job or anyone elses to wash someones coffee mug, in addition we are all adults and I am sure he feels that people should be able to throw their soda cans away themselves. However, if someone doesn't then of course someone else has to pick up the slack. I do think people should be held accountable for their trash.

I did talk to my boss yesterday, I approached him and told him I felt he was being nicer then he wanted to and I told him that I am frustrated that people assume I have nothing else to do other then pickup after them. I explained that if my option was to book a flight for someone, confirm an appointment for him or pick up trash left around by 65 other people the obivous choice needs to be made and he agreed.

Carhill, sure it's nice to vent but I also want advice on how to handle it, so thanks for he great advice, I think everyone needs to be put on notice that they need to start cleaning up after themselves.

justpassing, yep there is a note on the door but people still keep telling me the door is not working.

Mr. Lucky, we have a cleaning service that comes in 3 x a week. I think it's nice that you rotate the pick up duties. My boss like you does his part but other employee don't.